Ingots of brass or bronze.... Any idea how old found a bunch of them along River bank

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg 25lbs each and looks real old..

Upvote 16

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From first glance... it struck me as sandcast gold bar.
Just have to be careful using the "g" word in fact it is not gold.

IF it was bronze or brass... it looks "too new" To have been outside for any length of time.
As far as the "lead theory" goes... does not even resemble lead let alone "look like" it.... old or new.

This will be interesting.

Last edited:

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
definitely looks sand cast as far as what it is made of well i would take a corner off one and have it tested or do a specific gravity test check youtube on how to it is not that difficult

c.d.

Feb 2, 2015
WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any steel mills around? A mill that produces alloys will have ingots like that of many different materials. Lead ,brass, aluminum, copper and many others are used in pre-weighed ingots like those for ease in
properly formulating the alloys.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I have to agree with AARC on this one. I think it is sand cast. Hence if so that would most likely make the ingots too old for being a manufacturer thus putting the date back into the 1800's or even 1700's. Does anyone "KNOW" when the last time sand casting of ingots was used by a manufacturer ?? Lastly, Slycer, We here are waiting for more pictures and the results of any tests that you may have had done on them. The suspense is killing us. We are trying to help you ok. We "DO" await your reply PLEASE. What say ye Folks ?? PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very close in size to a 25 pound gold bar.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps it was already asked and I didn't see it but what river bank? What general area?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi; We "NEED" more info to make any positive conclusions on these ingots. Until then We can only use conjecture. We await Slycer ok. PEACE:RONB

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohm yeah, Lead is Lead. Wheel weights are not true lead but an alloy. There is no such thing as old lead. Lead is lead or lead mixed with an alloy. I cast my own bullets with 100% lead and 100% lead is not $45.00 a pound. I'm guessing you might have eaten too many paint chips with lead in them when you were a child. I could be mistaken but if I can sell lead at $45.00 a pound then I'm going into lead mining as a business !!!!

Slow your roll there tin banger. If the bars of lead are old enough they could be considered low Alpha. Going rate is 40 bucks a pound. By the looks of the sand casting it is a possibility.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if we don't hear back from slycer....we can only guess.

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png drilled into it a bit and it's a goldish color😮

1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck! hopefully you can clean it up a bit more. Hard to tell from that picture exactly what's inside.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well well ... welcome back.

Now this new picture... that shot looks like bronze.... need more pics.
And tests.

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg sanded it, filed it and drilled it.. Still not sure lol

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why last pic looked silver color it had more of a gold color... Darn cell phones

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that if the bars are actually Bronze or Brass, they may not be sand molded after all and may have just suffered degradation and corrosion from many years in the river and/ or river bank. I wonder if they could date to the Civil War and are actually Bronze or Brass bars that were intended for the use in producing Cannons but the shipment was hi-jacked and buried or were in a shipment that was lost. There are a lot of possibilities if there is a road and/or existing railroad tracks or was railroad tracks running along the river at one time in the past or there was barge or boat traffic on the river that was used for shipping. If related to and can be linked to the Civil War production of Cannons, then the bars could be worth a lot more than the metal that they contain!

Frank

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did get them all didn't you?

If not...go get them...now.
RUN, Forest...RUN!!!! :tongue3:

That's looking mighty good, too good...I see no green patina that is common with aged brass, bronze, or copper.
I'm no authority though.
But I think I'm smelling a banner find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread