blown away...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
...sooo bad I had to log on and tell the tale.

Didn't know where exactly to put this, sub-forum metal detecting, general, todays finds...any would work I guess, but this was memorable so I had to share somewhere.

I contract copper splicing for an area telco (telephone company). Lately we have been working a gov't supported program to place hi-speed internet into a lot of rural areas. While working

on a throw (moving local dial tone from an existing switch to a new DSL capable switch) one of the local techs drove up and pulled over for a gab-fest. While discussing the throw and the

route of a particular cable, he noticed a name on one of my cut-sheets.

He asked me if I knew anything about metal detecting to which I answered "yes". I did in fact MD myself and swing a Mine Lab. He asked if I ever heard of Garrett Metal Detectors. Heck

yeah.... great detectors.

One of the names on my paperwork was "Charles Garrett" His was one of the numbers I was throwing. This was pointed out to me by the local tech.

NO FLIPPIN' WAY!!! was my immediate response.

Yes, Sir... Charles Garrett still has a couple houses and phone service in this small East Texas community.

I goggled him only to learn of his passing in 2015. He was a real American. Very sad.

Sure wish I could have shaken his hand and spoke with him.

"happy trails all"

Upvote 7

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ,, I too have a world of respect for Charles Garrett. His machines gave me countless hours of enjoyment . That's quite a coincidence.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. I retired from a telco with 35 years service so I have no trouble understanding about your throws. Been involved in many. I have done just about everything you can do for a telco except construction. I could write a book about the things that have happened.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
A few good men like him, are part of the biggest reason for this site and all the good folks here.
thanks for the remarks all.
Yes, Johncoho a big book. I also retired telco, (but contracting can be fairly lucrative) my wife as well. she worked "trouble dispatch" and as an operator... and the way trouble tickets would come down and the directions could often times be hilarious. in one tiny exchange she handled, she was expected to order "take out" chicken for one of the local patrons. well, that was years ago, but what a hoot!
"good huntin' "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions