First time out in 5 months, amazing medieval heraldic mount

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

So today was my first time out metal detecting since sometime near February for various reasons. A couple of days ago I treat myself to a new (used) detector which is a minelab safari. All I can say about the machine so far is that I am really impressed with the build quality and also the depth it achieves although it is still very early days.

Anyway, I went to the huge pasture permission that I have hammered a lot of times and set the machine up in a way I had read about last night. The settings were, all metal, sensitivity auto, -10 and +40 notched out, threshold just audible and noise cancelled. These settings seemed really effective.

There were not loads of finds made but I have found what is possibly my favourite ever find especially after giving it a light clean under warm water. Big thanks to the ferret for live id'ing it while I was still in the field.

A medieval heraldic mount with red and blue enamel!
image.jpeg

And if anyone wants to watch me finding it here is the video

Upvote 5

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice finds and super Vid! It did take me a few minutes to adjust to you driving on the wrong side of the road, sitting on the wrong side of the car and talking with an accent! :laughing7:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bainsey! There you are old chap!

I hadn't seen any of your posts and wondered about you. Amazing find! That's a great mount with surviving enamel!

Congrats
Steve

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few of these have that much enamel left. Congrats getting your favorite find!

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I really can't begin to imagine how the enamel has stayed on after so many centuries under ground, they sure as hell don't make things of that quality any more lol

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being found in a pasture field helped a lot for sure.

Yeap, a rare find in pasture, but I'm going to assume it was once plough.

Nice harness pendant, had a matching pair that when either side of the horses head.

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, a rare find in pasture, but I'm going to assume it was once plough.

Nice harness pendant, had a matching pair that when either side of the horses head.

It definitely has not been ploughed in the last 200 or so years but before that I'm not to sure

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely has not been ploughed in the last 200 or so years but before that I'm not to sure

It would be very unusual to get to an undisturbed 14th C layer with any detector. It does happen but normally in woods.

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be very unusual to get to an undisturbed 14th C layer with any detector. It does happen but normally in woods.

Thinking about it the area was a Victorian race course. I suppose it is highly likely they would have sculpted the surface in obstacles? Because as you say this item should be well out of reach

Cheers
Andy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions