Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detected a field near Frankfurt.
Found this object. Didnt take long to find out it is some kind of seal.
It has very nice details, a peacock on a nest with3 little birds, under the nest a lamb with cross, so obviously a christian symbol. Letters on the outside.

I used wax to make a seal but can not identify the words, any ID help?
P_20160730_235107.jpg P_20160730_234851.jpg
P_20160730_234720.jpg P_20160730_234839_1.jpg
P_20160730_234820_1.jpg P_20160730_235001.jpg

Attachments

• P_20160730_234820.jpg
    P_20160730_234820.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • P_20160730_234839.jpg
    P_20160730_234839.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 10

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's pretty cool. I know nothing about it but I'd love to find it! [emoji2][emoji106]

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool; you've put a lot of work into it. I wish I could add some history, but I'm clueless. Waiting for someone to chime in.

aj

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some internet research indicates it might be a medieval or late medieval wax seal used by clerics to seal documents and letters

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow! That is so cool! Thanks for using the the wax to demonstrate, wish I could help you with what it says but I can't. Looking forward to someone solving the mystery. Congrats and HH

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a Christian Seal.
The Peacock is a symbol of resurrection
The lamb represents Christ.
"Behold the lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world "
John 1:29
The peacock (which also stood for immortality ) was used by the Byzantine and Romanesque. churches.
Congrats on a very nice find.

Last edited:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
What a great find! I haven't been able to work out the lettering to my liking yet. The bird however is a "pelican in her piety" - see this example for some history:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/103614

SEAL MATRIX

Unique ID: IHS-6720D3
Object type certainty: Certain
Workflow status: Published
flag_green.gif

A copper alloy vesica-shaped (pointed oval) seal matrix, plain back other than suspension loop on short raised ridge intact at top. Device of "A pelican in her piety", i.e., a female pelican, here perching on the edge of her nest, pecking at her breast in order to draw the blood with which she feeds her three chicks, beaks agape, in the nest below. The nest rests at the top of a tree, which is indicated by its trunk and five slender branches. The two outer branches end in globular clumps of leaves, the other three support the nest, which is covered in clover-like leaves. The tree and nest occupies half of the available area, the pelican's body occupying the remainder. The bird's wing runs up the right-hand side, with the bend in her neck occurring at the apex of the available space. Device is separated from the legend by a neat line; a similar line deliniates the outer edge of the face. Piece in generally very nice condition.
Measurements: 25 mm x 50 mm; 3 mm thick (maximum dimensions).A particularly nice example of the type. Worthy of note is the fact the lettering is clean and even, whilst the central design has been executed with an eye for detail, noticeable at such points as the bird's plumage and the ornate nest. A wide range of people used the pelican on their matrices; e.g., see IHS-671517 (ferryman?) and here a clerk.
The image known as "the pelican in her piety" has its roots in the Bible (Psalms, 102:6). The import of this bird, thought to be a creature of solitary habits dwelling in Egypt, was developed by Christian commentators. Essentially, the pelican chicks were held to attack their parents as they grew older; the parents, in response, struck back and killed the chicks. However, on the third day the mother pelican drew her own blood which, pouring over the dead chicks, brought them back to life. The pelican was interpreted as Christ, Egypt the world; the bird's solitary nature as emblematic of Jesus' unique birth from a virgin. The death meted out to the chicks was the death meted out to pagan beliefs by Christ's words, and their three days' death was terminated by the shedding of blood, which was Christ's blood shed to save mankind.
Such a matrix was thus eminently suitable for a learned man, which the owner of this matrix, Adam of Scarborough, was. He was not a cleric in the modern sense, but a clerk, an educated individual who will have made his living from his literacy. See also IHS-65B358 and IHS-671517

Inscription: +S'ADE DE SCARDEBVRGH CLERICI (Latin: The seal of Ade (Adam) of Scarborough, Clerk).

Attachments

• PelicanScarborough.jpg
    PelicanScarborough.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Benjamin, great find.

What is the seal made of? It looks unusually patina free for copper alloy that's been in the soil for 700ish years and there are examples in silver.

In your seal the inscription starts on the right hand side of the wax impression and runs clockwise.

I can make out an S with a little mark next to it which is an abbreviation for sigillum or seal and the usual way medieval seal inscriptions start, the next word would be the name of the owner of the seal.

The next word certainly starts with Reynard (could be Reynardus). So your seal belonged to a Reynard, Reinhard Reynardus or something similar!

The other lettering on the seal would usually refer to the parentage of the seal owner, profession and or where they live but unfortunately I can't make this out. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Just to add to the great info bramblefind has given you, the lamb underneath the pelican is usually referred to as an Agnus Dei or lamb of God and was a very popular medieval religious symbol.

Jamie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice vesica-shaped Seal. Nice and early & one from a Church or Monastery. In excellent condition, very collectable & has a good value. I have lots of seals, some this shape but mine are lead, not had this type yet - CONGRATS

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Benjamin, great find.

What is the seal made of? It looks unusually patina free for copper alloy that's been in the soil for 700ish years and there are examples in silver.

In your seal the inscription starts on the right hand side of the wax impression and runs clockwise.

I can make out an S with a little mark next to it which is an abbreviation for sigillum or seal and the usual way medieval seal inscriptions start, the next word would be the name of the owner of the seal.

The next word certainly starts with Reynard (could be Reynardus). So your seal belonged to a Reynard, Reinhard Reynardus or something similar!

The other lettering on the seal would usually refer to the parentage of the seal owner, profession and or where they live but unfortunately I can't make this out. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Just to add to the great info bramblefind has given you, the lamb underneath the pelican is usually referred to as an Agnus Dei or lamb of God and was a very popular medieval religious symbol.

Jamie

Thanks for the great informative post, Jamie. When I found it it was almost black. I did not know what it was. I scrubbed it for quite a while to get it this clean. I think it is copper alloy. I dont know if by cleaning it I took off value like happens with coins but it definitely looks beautiful now... :-)
I will try to make a better wax to read the letter completely. I also thought I read reynard or something like that :-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great informative post, Jamie. When I found it it was almost black. I did not know what it was. I scrubbed it for quite a while to get it this clean. I think it is copper alloy. I dont know if by cleaning it I took off value like happens with coins but it definitely looks beautiful now... :-)
I will try to make a better wax to read the letter completely. I also thought I read reynard or something like that :-)

Its bronze & you haven't damaged it. (too much)

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a very nice seal Ben and it's in fantastic shape. Big congrats! You do very well when on your own! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice vesica-shaped Seal. Nice and early & one from a Church or Monastery. In excellent condition, very collectable & has a good value. I have lots of seals, some this shape but mine are lead, not had this type yet - CONGRATS

Thanks for the info, Crusader! Yes, now that you say it, bronze is right! Any idea how to clean it properly without damaging it more?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Crusader! Yes, now that you say it, bronze is right! Any idea how to clean it properly without damaging it more?
I would leave it. But if there is some dirt in the lettering I would use a sharp wooden tooth pick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread