A old bottle opener?

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This sucker was about 10 inches deep dose anybody know how old this is? 20160730_190304.jpg 20160730_190300.jpg 20160730_190300.jpg :4leafclover:

Upvote 4

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the "church keys" we had in the 50's & 60's. I'm sure it could be older than that, however. Ah, how I miss the good old days... No pull tabs back then (but lots of bottle caps).
HH
dts

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well the ones I find underwater have names like Vernor's, Goebel Beer, Coke, and others on them. Yours is so crusty I highly doubt you can find a name on it.

It was called a church key or churchkey and they were invented in 1935. So to date it would be 1935 - around the end of the 1960's

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might try to clean it of

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allison,

What you found is not a bottle opener "church key", it is a can opener, many church keys had both a can opener and a bottle opener combined, you can tell the different in that your's has a point on it's end, a bottle opener would look much the same but instead have a rounded end.

The type of can opener like your's was designed to punture a hole/s in older style cans to extract the liquid inside, e.g. canned juice, milk, motor oil, and most importantly BEER
default_oregonian_winesmiley.gif
, etc., here are some examples of church keys and combination church keys, and one photo showing how the can opener like the one you found would create the hole/s in cans, the combination church key in this photo has a bit different bottle opener then how I discripted them above, there were several different designs for the bottle opener end but the can opener end was much the same on all church keys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchkey

A5-Church-Key.png

2093_add1.jpg

HTB1Lq77HXXXXXbVaXXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

churchkey-1.jpg

Last edited:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool,,
I'm sure that this question has been asked before but does anyone know how the nickname, "Church key" originated?
www.churchkey.com

I included a link above to what seems to be known on how the term originated, here it is again.

Though no one seems to know for sure but it seems that the term was used because of the similarities of how the first bottle openers look compared to some keys to unlock Churches.

Church keys were invented around 1898 to open bottles only, the can opener was added to "church keys" much later in 1935 when beer was first introduce/produced in cans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchkey

Bottle openers/"church keys"

120px-Cl%C3%A9_ouvre-bouteille.JPG
120px-Bottle_Opener.jpg

Real keys to Churches
120px-Ancient_warded_lock_key_transparent.png
120px-Cl%C3%A9_b%C3%A9narde3-Lastours.jpg

OP
OP
A

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your guess on the date?

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be very hard to say how old it is without finding some markings on it, e.g. brand name, patent number, etc. but it wouldn't be any older than 1935.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread