ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't clean it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't clean it. As is, it's a reasonable and average Morgan with market value.

If you clean it, it's only worth bullion value.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the find. It has a nice patina, I would keep it just as it is. If you check the auction sites any cleaning, no matter how good seems to lower the value in most cases.

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
Is there a method used to determine if a coin has been cleaned. Just looking at the results in the video, I would not be able to tell if it was cleaned. Thanks in advance? Not trying to hijack this thread, just trying to learn.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Forty years ago I purchased a beautiful BU 1894 Indian Head cent from a collector for $75. Was at a coin show and had decided to check with the dealers there. Every single one of them said it had been cleaned, and they wanted nothing to do with the coin. So, I sent it off to ANACS to make myself feel better! After all, what did a yokel like me know about coins?

Boy did I get a lesson! It wasn't even worth 75 cents.....

ANASC 1894 Indian.jpg

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
don't clean it, don't send it in to be conserved, don't send it in to be graded. The only time you'd consider it, is if there's a little "CC" near the bottom of the reverse on the 1881 like that. Does it have that? It has nice coloring as-is. Just rinse it off with water to get the loose dirt off and DAB (do not rub). If it's a basic 1881 Morgan, it'll be worth a little more than silver value.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome to T'net. Congratz on your first silver dollar !

I do not agree with those who say that "all attempts to clean will lower the value". There's multiple examples where the opposite was clearly in effect.

But in this particular case, I do not see how your coin here even needs cleaning. Looks good to me :)

What state did you find that in ? And what type site ? Eg.: turf, beach, relicky-ghost town, old-town demolition , etc...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, super! :occasion14: Take it to at least TWO dealers and ask them to appraise it, and whether or not they believe it should be cleaned and graded.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice find and welcome to the silver dollar club!
Did you dig this outta the ground after finding it with a metal detector or?? I agree with not cleaning it. Give us a little more of the story!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you read his other post he found it along with a confederate one thousand dollar bill. So I would venture to say not out of the ground. Although stranger things have been reported.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated above, don't send it in for slabbing unless its a Carson City (and I wouldn't even do it then). The value and grade of this coin does not justify the money spent on grading at all. Patina looks to be fine, no real need to clean it, but its your coin do with it as you will. Value is unlikely to be increased with cleaning, and most likely to decrease. Well circulated Morgan dollars do not look better all bright and shiny, they look like crap.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a method used to determine if a coin has been cleaned. Just looking at the results in the video, I would not be able to tell if it was cleaned. Thanks in advance? Not trying to hijack this thread, just trying to learn.

A method? No. There are many ways to clean a coin, but they all leave their tell-tale signs. Some do not hurt the value, such as dipping uncirculated coins, as long as you don't over-do it leave it all washed out. Dipping circulated coins usually leaves the coin looking worse. Anything abrasive will lower the value. Original toning (even toning that to me is unattractive) is sought after by collectors, and thus dealers. The only method I know for determining if a coin has been cleaned, is inspection and experience. Many cleanings can be seen with the naked eye, but always have a 10x loupe handy.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An American silver dollar is high one my bucket list, as I've only found a Canadian one. Great find! Looks good as is....don't clean it. What is the mint mark? You'll find it below the bottom of the wreath on the reverse. If no mint mark it is Philadelphia mint.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the large silver recovery!

I would not clean it!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! A bucket lister for many on here, Sweet!! Congrats!!
I'd leave it as is, it looks Great!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread