🥇 BANNER Roll out the red carpet...bonanza time...big silver, tree silver & MORE!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hunt...so much so that I could not fit them all on my stool that so many have come to like. I had to roll out the red carpet on this one. I got together for my annual hunt with good pal Aquachigger for a couple of days. We spent time at some old sites and located a few new ones as well and the results were well worth it.

To start, we explored a new area for the first part of the hunt. This was a small wharf site that yielded a few buttons (including a worn foliated "A" artillery button) when I heard a large and deep hightone. Reading in the 80s, I was some what unsure what it would be, but soon I was holding a well worn, but actual 8-Real cob! What a way to start out the hunt!! We ran out of time and moved on to an old tried and true site where a few buttons were located. We decided to start there the next morning and located some more colonial goodies including a trifid spoon end, some large brass "shell" looking thing (think it might be a cap to an old snuff box). I then heard another nice but small hightone and was quickly holding a 1700 William the III Farthing!

Things were certainly looking up and after dodging some weather we tried another spot the following morning. We first hit the location where we left off and I was in awe yet again. After digging a few buttons and round balls I heard an all too familiar tone and saw a 63-65 VDI reading. I was fairly sure this would be a cut coin, but ready to be disappointed. I was fairly shocked when I was holding a cut 1652 Oak Tree shilling:headbang:. I've always wanted to dig a tree coin and while this one is cut, I will certainly take it. I ended the local with a rather beat civil war NY button which certainly set the stage for the next spot. We were moving from colonial to civil war as we began to scout out a new location. This was a union resupply point that also saw confederate activity prior to union control. We were in for a treat as it also produced a few other unexpected finds. I was steadily digging bullets (mostly CS drop .69 balls) when I heard a large and loud high tone. What I popped up next was a shocker. This is a civil war era artillery fuse adapter still wrapped in a leather cup of some sort. I know my artillery as does Aqua, but I will be sending cannonballguy a note on this one to see what his thoughts were. It certainly was cool to find. Shortly afterwards I popped out two VA Half Pennies side by side as well as additional items. I also located another small copper coin that is very thin and has some crude lettering around the edge, too bad it is toasted as I would have liked to have seen exactly what it was. This site was full of bullets and brass nails/rivets from the shipyard. The heart breaker was the silver barber dime, still nice to find, but was hoping it was going to be seated. The bullets were a good variety of dropped and fired along with 3-ringers and pistols. Other lead items included homemade sinkers, including one from a bullet. I also located a unique carved lead pipe bowl and shortly afterwards eyeballed an actual colonial clay pipe bowl, along with a stem and native american pottery. I also located plenty of melted brass and lead from the camps that were once there, these two gave me a heck of signal. What a site and I can't wait to get back to it.

Still note done...this morning we finished the 2.5 day hunt at an old site that still produces from time to time. It was civil war but also had an early colonial landing nearby. We began hunting the CW site and it yielded a few bullets (including some ringtail sharps), eagle button back, percussion cap, and the brass bar to a shoulder epaulet. iron was there too as I took home a butt plate to a Springfield musket. On the way back we decided to check the old colonial site, and boy am I glad we did as it ended the day perfectly! Shortly after digging a colonial era pocket knife (broken) I heard another all too familiar sound and a short while later I was holding a beautiful 1690 1-real cob!

This was a heck of a hunt that yielded 8 keeper coins, over 30 bullets, some good buttons and many many more unique finds. I am still on cloud nine with the 8-R and the Oak Tree!

Bonanza Baby!!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    748.6 KB · Views: 872
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 628
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 545
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 527
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    516.1 KB · Views: 543
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 550
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 507
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 562
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 511
  • 1r.JPG
    1r.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 492
  • 1s.JPG
    1s.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 1w.JPG
    1w.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 472
  • 1v.JPG
    1v.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 457
  • 1u.JPG
    1u.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 1t.JPG
    1t.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 474
  • 1x.JPG
    1x.JPG
    562 KB · Views: 463
  • 1y.JPG
    1y.JPG
    471.2 KB · Views: 436
  • 1z.JPG
    1z.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 442
  • 1za.JPG
    1za.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 1zb.JPG
    1zb.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 1zf.JPG
    1zf.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 1zea.JPG
    1zea.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 1ze.JPG
    1ze.JPG
    530.9 KB · Views: 453
  • 1zd.JPG
    1zd.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 437
  • 1zc.JPG
    1zc.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 1zk.JPG
    1zk.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 469
  • 1zj.JPG
    1zj.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 480
  • 1zi.JPG
    1zi.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 1zh.JPG
    1zh.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 1zg.JPG
    1zg.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 427
  • 1zl.JPG
    1zl.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 459
  • 1zm.JPG
    1zm.JPG
    956.4 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 102
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even know where to begin... :notworthy:. Just incredible dude. Cobs, coppers and a tree coin... What! This is a post I will reread many times and for many reasons it deserves a banner tag so we can find it in the future. You got the king of the Cobs and a slice of the best Colonial silver out there.

I would think smoking out of a carved lead pipe would have caused all sorts of health issues. Ha. And the barber, at a site like that, might have made me cry. Ha.

Now I can't wait to see your buddy Aquachiggers videos of this insanity. I can enjoy it all over and see what he turned up. Just awesome man.

The barber was with all the CW bullets...I really was thinking it was going to be another seated (Beau dug a seated one).

Thanks for the kind words

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! You got a little bit of everything Dan. If Beau did as well as you guys tore it up! All the fuses I have are threaded but am sure "the cannonball guy" can help you with your fuse. Last year you guys camped out did you all do it this time? Looks like you were running and gunning on killer spots.
Congratulations those are some nice reales.
HH
TnMtns

We have fun on those camping trips (been doing them for about 5 years now). They did have non threaded adapters, though rare. This one has me stumped and already been emailing CBG about it.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan I've been waiting impatiently for this post. Absolutely blown away. I know where there a mid-late 1600s wharf site and this post may push me into the water. Really psyched for you buddy. Knocking that Mass silver off the list is an amazing accomplishment! It's got great detail too. This post brought back some great memories for me man. Finding a couple of 1600s silvers is something very few will ever experience. I'm definitely headed back to the site where I found mine soon.
I have always maintained that any Mass silver is a BANNER FIND. Add in the rest of the amazing stuff and this is one of the most impressive posts I've ever seen. Have you attempted to get a positive id on the oak tree variety? Fantastic stuff Dan. Best of luck the rest of the summer buddy

Sadly there is not enough left to tell the exact variety, but am trying. Very happy to have found it even in the cut state it is!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Civil War and Colonial digs Dan. Love the clipped Oak Tree Shilling. The smaller cob, possibly a 2 reale, is unusually well centered. Is there any detail visible on the 8 reale cob? Too many great finds to mention there. Definitely a banner hunt.

Thanks man, it is a 1 real but agreed it is perfectly centered.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An extremely impressive array of artifacts and coins there Dan - you can't do much better than that. As you can imagine, I'm quite envious of that big haul of colonial silver, and all are rarely found, quality examples. I was especially excited to see you snag a tree cut and, cut or not, it's an extremely rare find and one that you can now cross off your most-wanted list. I tell ya, this water hunting is turning out to be quite a lucrative way to pass the summers as you've proven over the last few years. Great post and finds man! And I almost forgot - my banner vote is going in ......

Thanks man, certainly have had some good luck, but i've been doing this in the summers since I was a teenager. However the last few years have been splendid for colonial items.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The barber was with all the CW bullets...I really was thinking it was going to be another seated (Beau dug a seated one).

Thanks for the kind words

Heart breaker! Like wheat cents at colonial sites. :laughing7: Every few weeks I'll pull up Beau's channel and catch up on the latest while working... but the video(s) of these hunts will have my undivided attention. Cant wait to see Beau's half of the haul and watch the story. It's great seeing the results of your hard work... huge congrats again man.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on the cut tree coin Dan, a milestone for sure! You guys did really well. Hope to get to hunt with you sometime this fall. Good luck with water season.
Evan

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at this killer post of yours has just picked me up a bit, making me have some hope of a good hunt here soon. Lately it has not been so good, so thanks and a big congrats.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cut tree coin Dan, a milestone for sure! You guys did really well. Hope to get to hunt with you sometime this fall. Good luck with water season.
Evan

Thanks man, it was a blast as usual. Hope to see you this fall as well.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heart breaker! Like wheat cents at colonial sites. :laughing7: Every few weeks I'll pull up Beau's channel and catch up on the latest while working... but the video(s) of these hunts will have my undivided attention. Cant wait to see Beau's half of the haul and watch the story. It's great seeing the results of your hard work... huge congrats again man.
Beau had a good hunt too, the video will be entertaining to say the least...storms, river follies, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread