🥇 BANNER Roll out the red carpet...bonanza time...big silver, tree silver & MORE!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hunt...so much so that I could not fit them all on my stool that so many have come to like. I had to roll out the red carpet on this one. I got together for my annual hunt with good pal Aquachigger for a couple of days. We spent time at some old sites and located a few new ones as well and the results were well worth it.

To start, we explored a new area for the first part of the hunt. This was a small wharf site that yielded a few buttons (including a worn foliated "A" artillery button) when I heard a large and deep hightone. Reading in the 80s, I was some what unsure what it would be, but soon I was holding a well worn, but actual 8-Real cob! What a way to start out the hunt!! We ran out of time and moved on to an old tried and true site where a few buttons were located. We decided to start there the next morning and located some more colonial goodies including a trifid spoon end, some large brass "shell" looking thing (think it might be a cap to an old snuff box). I then heard another nice but small hightone and was quickly holding a 1700 William the III Farthing!

Things were certainly looking up and after dodging some weather we tried another spot the following morning. We first hit the location where we left off and I was in awe yet again. After digging a few buttons and round balls I heard an all too familiar tone and saw a 63-65 VDI reading. I was fairly sure this would be a cut coin, but ready to be disappointed. I was fairly shocked when I was holding a cut 1652 Oak Tree shilling:headbang:. I've always wanted to dig a tree coin and while this one is cut, I will certainly take it. I ended the local with a rather beat civil war NY button which certainly set the stage for the next spot. We were moving from colonial to civil war as we began to scout out a new location. This was a union resupply point that also saw confederate activity prior to union control. We were in for a treat as it also produced a few other unexpected finds. I was steadily digging bullets (mostly CS drop .69 balls) when I heard a large and loud high tone. What I popped up next was a shocker. This is a civil war era artillery fuse adapter still wrapped in a leather cup of some sort. I know my artillery as does Aqua, but I will be sending cannonballguy a note on this one to see what his thoughts were. It certainly was cool to find. Shortly afterwards I popped out two VA Half Pennies side by side as well as additional items. I also located another small copper coin that is very thin and has some crude lettering around the edge, too bad it is toasted as I would have liked to have seen exactly what it was. This site was full of bullets and brass nails/rivets from the shipyard. The heart breaker was the silver barber dime, still nice to find, but was hoping it was going to be seated. The bullets were a good variety of dropped and fired along with 3-ringers and pistols. Other lead items included homemade sinkers, including one from a bullet. I also located a unique carved lead pipe bowl and shortly afterwards eyeballed an actual colonial clay pipe bowl, along with a stem and native american pottery. I also located plenty of melted brass and lead from the camps that were once there, these two gave me a heck of signal. What a site and I can't wait to get back to it.

Still note done...this morning we finished the 2.5 day hunt at an old site that still produces from time to time. It was civil war but also had an early colonial landing nearby. We began hunting the CW site and it yielded a few bullets (including some ringtail sharps), eagle button back, percussion cap, and the brass bar to a shoulder epaulet. iron was there too as I took home a butt plate to a Springfield musket. On the way back we decided to check the old colonial site, and boy am I glad we did as it ended the day perfectly! Shortly after digging a colonial era pocket knife (broken) I heard another all too familiar sound and a short while later I was holding a beautiful 1690 1-real cob!

This was a heck of a hunt that yielded 8 keeper coins, over 30 bullets, some good buttons and many many more unique finds. I am still on cloud nine with the 8-R and the Oak Tree!

Bonanza Baby!!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    748.6 KB · Views: 871
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 628
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    516.1 KB · Views: 543
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 527
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 545
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 507
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 550
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 562
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 510
  • 1r.JPG
    1r.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 492
  • 1s.JPG
    1s.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 1t.JPG
    1t.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 474
  • 1u.JPG
    1u.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 1v.JPG
    1v.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 457
  • 1w.JPG
    1w.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 472
  • 1x.JPG
    1x.JPG
    562 KB · Views: 463
  • 1y.JPG
    1y.JPG
    471.2 KB · Views: 436
  • 1z.JPG
    1z.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 442
  • 1za.JPG
    1za.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 1zb.JPG
    1zb.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 448
  • 1zc.JPG
    1zc.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 1zd.JPG
    1zd.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 436
  • 1ze.JPG
    1ze.JPG
    530.9 KB · Views: 453
  • 1zea.JPG
    1zea.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 1zf.JPG
    1zf.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 1zg.JPG
    1zg.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 427
  • 1zh.JPG
    1zh.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 1zi.JPG
    1zi.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 1zj.JPG
    1zj.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 480
  • 1zk.JPG
    1zk.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 469
  • 1zl.JPG
    1zl.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 458
  • 1zm.JPG
    1zm.JPG
    956.4 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 102

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...congrats on all your digs!....

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa! That's the hunt dreams are made of...

I've been hearing through the grapevine about the mass silver. Congrats on that one. The rest is too much to mention but you rocked it!

Major congrats and what a banner hunt!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowwwweeee.....what can one say...!? Truly an outstanding hunt! And you keep good company with Beau...AKA Aquachigger..I view his videos daily...I can't say what i like best, everything is so awesome! Great post Dan, thoroughly enjoyed it...ddf

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow don't quite know what to say. A couple of dream hunts for sure, congrats to you both

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about the best detecting session one could dream of. Those finds are off the charts on the amaze-o-meter, I'm blown away! Big congrats and thanks for showing us.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many banners in there I don't know which one to vote on, haha. There have been some really great posts on this site but this is one of the best I've seen. We're you only hitting these sites at low tide?

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. You had great weather for it also!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...just.......wow
Needless to say...Banner Vote

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiple banners for sure!

Awesome Awesome Awesome relic hunt and finds!!!
Congrats you over achiever you!
....i hope you reserved cloud 9 for an extended stay!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt - you found a year's worth of volume for some people in just 2 1/2 days. Congrats Dan!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man...not sure if it is that great, but stoked...can't give away all me secrets

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is... WOW! Actually I said something else, but I couldn't post it. Dang! That's some killer stuff.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't even know where to begin... :notworthy:. Just incredible dude. Cobs, coppers and a tree coin... What! This is a post I will reread many times and for many reasons it deserves a banner tag so we can find it in the future. You got the king of the Cobs and a slice of the best Colonial silver out there.

I would think smoking out of a carved lead pipe would have caused all sorts of health issues. Ha. And the barber, at a site like that, might have made me cry. Ha.

Now I can't wait to see your buddy Aquachiggers videos of this insanity. I can enjoy it all over and see what he turned up. Just awesome man.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer Relic and coin hunt! That 1/4 shilling piece is fantastic! :notworthy:

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn it man! The cut tree, 8 reale cob, and the 1690 cob...looks to be a reale I think, is incredible. The cut tree itself is a banner find! Never seen any cut trees before. Imagine if it was the whole thing. I would have fainted I think, but finding a cut tree? Get a good pic of the two cobs and the cut tree in one pic....there's the banner! Great saves man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread