The token with a special family connection !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who do not subscribe to Western and Eastern Treasures, I thought I would give you a very shortened version of my story that I wrote and it appeared in the Sept. 2016 issue. While visiting my daughter and her boyfriend Wally in a small Illinois town, I was able to locate an old vacant home. There was a woman standing in her driveway near the home, so I pulled in to ask her who owned it and she said that she did. She noticed the license plate on my wifes van that reads "Treasur". She then asked me if I was related to the Treasure family from the neighboring town. You see, my wifes maiden name is actually Treasure ! I then told her that the family were my in-laws. She then granted me permission to hunt the yard any time I wanted to. In this yard, I was able to dig a token and some other nice items. After the hunt, I went back to my daughters and her boyfriends to clean the items up. The token read " Bottino Bros. South Wilmington and Brooklyn. On the reverse it read "Good for 50 Cents in Merchandise". I asked Wally if he might have information on the token name, since his family has lived there for generations. He said that he may have information, but wanted to call his dad Jack first. After a brief history lesson from his dad, Wally hung up the phone with astonishing news. One of the Bottino Bros. ( Frank ) that owned the drygoods store was Jacks Great Grandfather, making it Wally Great Great Grandfather ! I had just found a token that was affiliated with my daughters boyfriends Great Great Grandfather ! After cleaning up the token, with the help of Wally and Stefanie we were able to locate some pictures of the store and his Great Great Grandfather. I then put the token into a frame with the pictures and presented it to Wallys dad Jack ( the Great Grandson ) so it will be in his family. The token has a great home now, and if you ever have the opportunity to read the entire story, you can get all of the details. The photos are of me presenting the token to Jack, his wife Marcia, Wally, and my daughter Stefanie, The framed token itself, and my wife Linda by her " Treasure mobile " I hope that you enjoyed the quick shortened version of this story. Ron

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    126.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image2.PNG
    image2.PNG
    100.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 14

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
That is great! Do you have closeup pics of the token that you could post on tokencatalog.com ? They have a listing for a 5 cent one only and the reference "Grocery & Meat Market - 1912 Dun" directory.
John in the Great 208

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the story! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story. Kudos to you for setting it up in such a nice frame and getting it back where it belongs. :notworthy:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This history may be related to your extended family;it mentions Frank:
[FONT=&quot]Hector Jerbi was about eight years of age when he came to the United States, and his education was secured in the public schools of Suffernville, Ill. Following the completion of his studies he went to work in the mines for eight years, and then secured a position as clerk in the general store, at that time operated by Bottino Brothers. By close application, after three years he found himself competent to carry on the business of his own account, and in 1908 purchased the stock of goods owned by his employers, and has since become the leading merchant of East Brooklyn, Ill., handling a full and up-to-date line of groceries, dry goods, hardware, crockery and miners’ supplies. He is an exceptionally intelligent and well-informed man, thoroughly awake to modern business methods, and his honorable dealings and strict integrity have won the confidence and liberal patronage of the people of his locality. He is a self-made man in the truest sense, for whatever he has accomplished has been as a result of his own efforts. Mr. Jerbi was married March 21, 1908, to Miss Mary Bottino, at South Wilmington, Ill., at which place she was born, a daughter of Frank and Mary Bottino. To this union there have come two daughters: Jennie, who was born October 17, 1908; and Mary, born November 17, 1910.
Don.....
Source: [/FONT]
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lockwd&id=I140146

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and an even greater story- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This history may be related to your extended family;it mentions Frank:
Hector Jerbi was about eight years of age when he came to the United States, and his education was secured in the public schools of Suffernville, Ill. Following the completion of his studies he went to work in the mines for eight years, and then secured a position as clerk in the general store, at that time operated by Bottino Brothers. By close application, after three years he found himself competent to carry on the business of his own account, and in 1908 purchased the stock of goods owned by his employers, and has since become the leading merchant of East Brooklyn, Ill., handling a full and up-to-date line of groceries, dry goods, hardware, crockery and miners’ supplies. He is an exceptionally intelligent and well-informed man, thoroughly awake to modern business methods, and his honorable dealings and strict integrity have won the confidence and liberal patronage of the people of his locality. He is a self-made man in the truest sense, for whatever he has accomplished has been as a result of his own efforts. Mr. Jerbi was married March 21, 1908, to Miss Mary Bottino, at South Wilmington, Ill., at which place she was born, a daughter of Frank and Mary Bottino. To this union there have come two daughters: Jennie, who was born October 17, 1908; and Mary, born November 17, 1910.
Don.....
Source:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lockwd&id=I140146
Thanks for your info Don. That is some of the family also. That is also the same time frame that the store was operated although I did forget to mention that fact in my post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread