She's got to be at least a hundred now...

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a gorgeous morning here in the Berkshires, not too hot yet and the skeeters weren't bad since it's been so dry. Went to an old lake one town over, looking for flat spots in the woods to try to manifest some old picnickers. Managed to find two Barber dimes right next to each other ('12 and a '14), and another foot away an old locket (gold plate). Imagine my surprise when I opened it to find a photo, weathered but legible. I was amazed a photo could have stood up to 100 years of dirt and moisture. Not sure if the dimes were lost by this little girl, but it seems likely since they were so close and there wasn't much else around there.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

unnamed.jpg

Upvote 37

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Wow cool it be something if you could identify who the little girl was awesome hunt thanks for sharing hh

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like there might have been another photo on the other side. So, possibly lost by a young mother?

You could always check county records (if you had a mind to) and see who owned the land back then. Then do a little local AND online investigating and see if there are any pics.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find!! Gotta love those personal items. Congrats [emoji106]

HH RN

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It had to have been an incredible feeling to see that little face staring at you straight out of History. Congrats on a stellar find. I will bet the mother lost the locket who carries a picture of them self in a locket?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find Steve, congratulations! :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! You have incredible history in your hands when you hold that locket. The picture is still clear enough to see the child's face! Looking at the wear on the dimes, I'd say they were dropped by the early to middle 20's. The locket may be part of the same drop.

With that locket, I think this is a banner find.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great group of finds. Congrats

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coins are very nice but that locket is the find of the day. Great hunt!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there might have been another photo on the other side. So, possibly lost by a young mother?

You could always check county records (if you had a mind to) and see who owned the land back then. Then do a little local AND online investigating and see if there are any pics.

Agreed, the little girl would not wear a locket with her own photo.

Guessing those finds had any relationship at all, is pure speculation. I think it more likely different losses than the same.

PS. Lovely to get the photo in good order & with a careful clean the locket will come up much nicer.

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're probably right about that you guys, in fact there was another photo it looks like on the other side, so most likely mom's. It's interesting to think that the dimes were lost by the same family that same day, not often you get to see the face of someone whose dropped coins you've found. Thanks for all the replies!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really killer find. That locket is just awesome! Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread