CS belt plate from field hospital with damage, nice copper, and more relics!

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an incredible Tuesday digging in Virginia with my friend Isaac! We hit quite a few sites but the last site we got on was loaded with incredible history! My best find was this, my first belt plate! (finally!)

IMG_0289.JPG

Perhaps this doesn't look like much, but it is a field repaired sheet brass clipped corner Confederate Belt Plate! The backside is pictured here, and there are two solder marks where the iron wire hooks would have attached. These were likely made locally in the South, and they did not hold up. There are two intriguing qualities on this plate. First are the two holes punched by a square nail to repair the plate when it broke in the field. The second is the damage on the right side of the plate. It is period damage, and when you look at the context where it was found, it appears a story begins to emerge. It was dug at a CS field hospital site where a little less than 100 CS soldiers died from their wounds after a large civil war battle. The right side of the plate is mauled, and this was not found in a place that would have been plowed at all. It seems totally shredded. I can only wonder if the right side was hit by a projectile or a piece of shrapnel, and if so whether the soldier made it or succumbed to his wounds at the field hospital. It's a sobering thought. But the recovery of it brings back the very likely forgotten story of a Southern Soldier, who may be buried in the mass grave with his other comrades nearby. It's finds like this that really make me realize why I do what I do.

I also got a musketball there and Isaac got a killer CW related find. I found some other victorian relics there, got a nice suspender buckle there, a 1917 S Merc, two reigns guides from the same hole, a nice skeleton key, a harmonica reed, and more! I also got a great 1817 Large Cent, two fired three ringers, and a small pistol ball.

FullSizeRender copy 12.jpg FullSizeRender[1] copy 6.jpg FullSizeRender copy 13.jpg FullSizeRender[2] copy 6.jpg FullSizeRender[3] copy 4.jpg IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG FullSizeRender copy 11.jpg IMG_0292.JPG

The next day before I left Isaac got most of the good finds! I got a V nickel and a toy soldier though!

FullSizeRender[1] copy 7.jpg

It was a great hunt and I can't wait to do it again! Happy Hunting everyone!:headbang::icon_thumleft:

Upvote 25

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an impressive bunch of finds. I bet a lot of people would have had no idea that was a plate, congrats on finding it and knowing what it was! I really like that key, it's got such a nice green patina.

The very first old coin I ever bought (when I was a kid) was an 1817 US large cent. I still have it, and it's so slick it's barely legible. I was a kid, I couldn't afford the good coins haha. Yours is way nicer.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most would not see it as anything special but you got a good one there. I thought I had found one a while back and researched it and I don't think the hooks on the back were of the period. I still don't know for sure but congrats on yours, it's the real deal.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man what a hunt!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work. Congrats on some hard to find Relics man. Excellent hunt

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing better than holding the history and trying to figure out the story. Great finds! Congrats [emoji106]

HH RN

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on some awesome finds and thanks very much for sharing the buckle information with us. Once again it validates my reasoning for not tossing anything I find at a potential historical site until I have confirmed for a fact what I have recovered. I almost tossed a tip to a scabbard one time because I thought it was modern junk. When family laughs at me and calls me a pack rat for keeping "junk" that I find, I just smile and point out examples like this. I have to admit I would not have known this was a confederate plate. So, once again thanks for the history lesson and the importance of this site.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the plate. The other finds are quite nice too. Congrats on an epic post all the way around!

Well played sir!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt! That plate is an excellent piece of history! :occasion14:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the plate! The key with those is to be able to see where the braising marks were for the hooks. Even field-repaired there'd still be obvious marks. BUT you're correct--the clipped corners are a dead giveaway!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an impressive bunch of finds. I bet a lot of people would have had no idea that was a plate, congrats on finding it and knowing what it was! I really like that key, it's got such a nice green patina.

The very first old coin I ever bought (when I was a kid) was an 1817 US large cent. I still have it, and it's so slick it's barely legible. I was a kid, I couldn't afford the good coins haha. Yours is way nicer.

Thanks! I've always liked large cents :)

OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Most would not see it as anything special but you got a good one there. I thought I had found one a while back and researched it and I don't think the hooks on the back were of the period. I still don't know for sure but congrats on yours, it's the real deal.

Thanks! One of my favorite pieces of history I have found!

OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on some awesome finds and thanks very much for sharing the buckle information with us. Once again it validates my reasoning for not tossing anything I find at a potential historical site until I have confirmed for a fact what I have recovered. I almost tossed a tip to a scabbard one time because I thought it was modern junk. When family laughs at me and calls me a pack rat for keeping "junk" that I find, I just smile and point out examples like this. I have to admit I would not have known this was a confederate plate. So, once again thanks for the history lesson and the importance of this site.

I'm right there with ya! I have a bucket I keep everything that is "trash" in in the garage, and looked through it the other week to fond a sterling silver knife handle that had corrosion on it at first so I did'nt know it was silver! When I found it I thought I had just another trunk plate, but the solder marks gave it away when I rinsed it off haha! Thanks!

OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the plate! The key with those is to be able to see where the braising marks were for the hooks. Even field-repaired there'd still be obvious marks. BUT you're correct--the clipped corners are a dead giveaway!

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks! Yep, when I saw the brazing marks on the back It hit me! When I found it I thought it was a trunk plate and joked to Isaac about it being a plate- wasn't until I gave it a rinse that I saw the solder marks! Really happy with this one! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread