Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Havent been hunting alot lately due mostly to the heat, and also due to my not having any new and exciting sites to visit.
Havent posted in a while, so i thought i would just throw this out there for the heck of it, and maybe get some help on ID's.
Last weekend i went to my old faithful early 19th century homesite and dug a toasted GS Eagle button.
It was the worst/ugliest, almost unidentifiable one iver ever dug, i mean it was so corroded it crumbled into pieces while cleaning.
However; finding that button last week gave me a little hope, so i decided to head back to this place for more abuse this morning.
Since this site has been cherrypicked hard, ive been digging everything except the low iron grunts on the XP, and also trying to work areas that are almost inaccessible due to heavy brush.
While dodging banana spiders and following some cow trails through the woods i dug my first older brass spigot which i thought was pretty neat. Would love to get a date range on this one. Kind of reminds me of some of the keg taps ive seen posted on this site before.
I hope the valve/spigot is an older one, because i dont like spiders, and i ended up having one crawling on the side of my face when i was working the thick trails. The things we will do.....
Also ended up digging a large double headed axe head and an iron clothes iron.
Lots of other iron and junk, but nothing much worthy of photos.
The grass is getting tall in the field and the tractor is broken. So i might have to give this place a rest for a while and revisit in the winter when some of the underbrush dies back.
Thanks for looking....

Attachments

• P8130001.JPG
    P8130001.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P8130002.JPG
    P8130002.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 90
  • P8130003.JPG
    P8130003.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 91
  • P8130004.JPG
    P8130004.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P8130005.JPG
    P8130005.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 81
  • P8130006.JPG
    P8130006.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 7

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love the spigot! That's something I never found. I don't know how to date those, but it looks Civil War period to me. My brother found one at a Civil War site and it has the same lined end as yours. I guess that helped hold it in the barrel.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love the spigot! That's something I never found. I don't know how to date those, but it looks Civil War period to me. My brother found one at a Civil War site and it has the same lined end as yours. I guess that helped hold it in the barrel.
Thanks Worm, i think it has a pretty cool design, especially that little curve at the top of the opening. The upwards curve makes me think it was made to hang a cup or pail from it.
I dug one of those heart shaped pad locks from this place a few trips ago, and from what ive seen alot of those tend to be CW era.
We have also dug many pre 1860 half dimes and other stuff from this site, so im pretty sure people were still living here in the 1860's.
Not certain that the valve/spigot/Keg-tap is that era, but it definitely looks like it could be.
I think those marks/reeded lines on the end could have come from a pipe wrench of some sort that was used to tighten down the valve to a pipe.

Attachments

• P8130001.JPG
    P8130001.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 80
  • P8130002.JPG
    P8130002.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure of a date range but I have dug a couple of keg taps like that at colonial sites.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a little older than Civil War era. Closer to 1800 is my guess. Nice finds.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone Please send those to DirtStalker @ 449 EVALUATION RD. SC. I'll get you a date. Does it matter if she's ugly?

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bone Please send those to DirtStalker @ 449 EVALUATION RD. SC. I'll get you a date. Does it matter if she's ugly?
I will send you the big iron if you pay the freight..
And no it doesnt matter if shes ugly, it never mattered before.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
real nice. I dug one same design made of pewter at the Colonial farm this spring. it was marked TIMMINS. likin' the lock a bunch too!!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the ID help guys.
Now im wanting to go back in the morning.
Thats how this site is. Every time i go there, i find just enough to draw me back in for one more hunt.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone I'm with the rest of these guys. I say very early 1800s based on a couple I've found that look very simular.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, I found this one a few weeks ago at a colonial site

Attachments

• _20160716_113110.JPG
    _20160716_113110.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 63

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ID help guys.
Now im wanting to go back in the morning.
Thats how this site is. Every time i go there, i find just enough to draw me back in for one more hunt.

I know exactly what you mean-I went back to mine yesterday. 8-) Speaking of which that site predates the Rev War and I found a tap just like yours there earlier this year.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, I found this one a few weeks ago at a colonial site
Thats a nice one Trapper. Thanks for posting the pic.
I know exactly what you mean-I went back to mine yesterday. 8-) Speaking of which that site predates the Rev War and I found a tap just like yours there earlier this year.
Cool, Lets See a pic....
I went back this morning and there was no overcast today and it was super hot.
Didnt find much of anything. Guess im gona wait til we get a freeze or two and hope everything dies back.
Sure was hoping to find another barrel tap though.
This hobby if funny. You start out looking for one thing, and then find something else that is more interesting than you ever thought it would be.
Now i want a barrel tap collection too, lol.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. The only diffence between mine and yours is the handle from mine was the detachable kind and apparently was lost.

Attachments

• 1471206545150.jpg
    1471206545150.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here you go. The only diffence between mine and yours is the handle from mine was the detachable kind and apparently was lost.
That is a nice looking barrel tap.. Thanks for posting the pic. They do look similar.
I wish mine still had the complete intake portion, but i think part of it must have broken off.
I also think my key might be detachable, but fortunately it was probably lost with the key still intact.
Kind of makes sense for the key to be removable, and alot of the pics i saw were missing the key, or showed the key seperately.
In that link i posted earlier i saw where someone had also found an old barrel tap that was missing the key.
He said that he dug a key that fit his 8 years later that was 50 miles away. So you never know, you might find a key for it one day...

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice looking barrel tap.. Thanks for posting the pic. They do look similar.
I wish mine still had the complete intake portion, but i think part of it must have broken off.
I also think my key might be detachable, but fortunately it was probably lost with the key still intact.
Kind of makes sense for the key to be removable, and alot of the pics i saw were missing the key, or showed the key seperately.
In that link i posted earlier i saw where someone had also found an old barrel tap that was missing the key.
He said that he dug a key that fit his 8 years later that was 50 miles away. So you never know, you might find a key for it one day...

Some of them had the handle permanently attached and others had a detachable key, presumably so that the owner could lock it away to prevent "unauthorized access" to the keg contents. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread