🥇 BANNER Viking/Saxon Cloisonné Brooch - Find of the year!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to do a separate post for this one, as it deserved it! I dedicate this post to Jeff of PA & his most recent comments on one of my latest posts.:thumbsup:

This amazing condition plate brooch dates to the 10th-11th C AD. Our Viking period, & these brooches have strong associations with our settled Anglo-Scandinavian folk. However, no reason the Anglo-Saxon's could not have worn them. Because of the workmanship there are many that debate these must have been a high status piece.

It's not only my find of the year but my best Viking period piece ever.

Context;
Last 5 days I've nearly detected for 35 hrs.
On this field it was my most ambitious grid length that I have ever attempted, over 30% longer than average. It took 20 minutes per run with an average of 4 digs per run, meaning a stopping time of less than 2 minutes.(& you know I don't walk slow)
Cru'Dad & I had to systematically cover 14 acres.(28 combined hrs on this field)

Here is what else we found today:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ronze-age-metal-working-site.html#post5087261

Attachments

• DSC05384.JPG
    DSC05384.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC05385.JPG
    DSC05385.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 639
  • DSC05386.JPG
    DSC05386.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 80

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's beyond incredible, Cru!

A FREAKING VIKING WORE THAT! And you own it!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's beyond incredible, Cru!

A FREAKING VIKING WORE THAT! And you own it!

Although you could flip a coin as to whether it was a Viking or Saxon, I like to think its heads I win. Because I have a special interest in their history & artwork.

I'm pretty sure it's associated with the still used Roman Track-Way & I imagine a wealthy Viking (Anglo-Scandinavian) galloping along on their horse, & the pin breaks & it fly's off.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Gorgeous!! Is this something that would be worn by a male, or a female?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Gorgeous!! Is this something that would be worn by a male, or a female?

The experts think female, but I'm not sure if that comes with proof from a grave good or just speculation. They were super rare until detectorist found them out of context in ploughed fields.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....that is amazing. You guys pull some beautiful stuff over there across the waves!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see a digger with as much experience as you and Cru dad can still raise the bar. Stunning Viking brooch and we'll deserved banner
That's why detecting will never get boring, we could do it 50 years each & still see finds that will make ours look like junk.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. If i had found it i would do a belly dancing [emoji12] from the joy. Coins are great but this is personal, it belonged to someone.
Banner for sure.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BANNER #24 Cru, and you achieved it with another amazingly historic find too mate! :occasion14:

Hope you and your father are having another great year my friend,

Dave

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER #24 Cru, and you achieved it with another amazingly historic find too mate! :occasion14:

Hope you and your father are having another great year my friend,

Dave

Its growing into a great year, but its now down to which fields pan out in the right order & condition...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru this is probably my second favorite find of yours. The gold coins are amazing but these early personal relics are incredible. The tile with the paw print on it is by far my favorite and will be hard to top for this guy. I'm guessing 98% of others will disagree with me but that find has always stuck with me as being your best

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru this is probably my second favorite find of yours. The gold coins are amazing but these early personal relics are incredible. The tile with the paw print on it is by far my favorite and will be hard to top for this guy. I'm guessing 98% of others will disagree with me but that find has always stuck with me as being your best
I like what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure you mean Westfront & not me.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right it was West. I just went back and found it. Have you ever found a tile with any kind of print?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right it was West. I just went back and found it. Have you ever found a tile with any kind of print?
nope, apart from a partial thumb print, no dog's or cats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread