Attacked and chased out of the woods. This happen to anyone else ever?????

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my new found spot where I found two silvers and a pile of old coins 1 Indian head 1903 a 1911 wheat two 1918s and a 1928 and a 1917 buffolo nickel a 1963 quarter and a silver canadian which I lost .Today I went back found 3 clads and a tiny sreling ring looks like it was for a baby. anyway went to the spot where I found the 63 quarter I felt a sting I thought it was a sqeeter even though I sprayed off on twice then I saw all these bees so I left skid marks outta there and was stung two three times when I stopped I had to brush 5 or 6 bees off my clothes when I did that then they flew at me it was freakin crazy. My detecter is still on the ground where I dropped it finally after a while I went back and grabbed it and I only feel one of the stings now but I got EVICTED. I was by an old pond so Im hoping thats where they nest I wont go back by the pond again but want to detect the woods.. This happen to anyone else!!!Thanks for looking at my post Tommy bees 018.JPG bees 022.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 30

alexzy198

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2016
india
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi new here . pls fnd me want speak with experienced tresure hunters here.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was detecting woods when I had this "feeling".... then through my headphones I heard this "hum"...
I look over and not more than 20 feet away was a fallen tree that looked like a mass of wet then dried cardboard was over it...
Was at LEAST 5 foot x 5 foot mass...
Then I see the "fog" of hornets who were within seconds of letting me know what time it was...
I got the hint..
And slowly backed out / away... NOT swinging coil.
increasing my back step speed as I went.
heh

Last edited:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using my at pro with headphones and got instantly covered with them. I dropped the detector and ran. Never even took off the headphones! The cord stretched till it broke! They chased me down a hill. I ripped off my shirt and when I looked back they were swarming my shirt on the ground! Too many stings to count. Just glad I had no reaction to the stings. So yes!

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ! Last year I dug into an underground wasp nest ! I could hear the sound of buzzing through my headphones and was looking around when I realized my leg was covered in wasps I dropped everything and ran to my mothers house where she was on the porch with my 1 year old after screaming at her to get in the house I looked down and saw three wasps still on my pant leg trying to sting me they couldn't sting through my pants thank god I got out of it in stung !!! But I went back with linemans spray to get my detector I dug the hole and found a 14 karat gold ring , so it was worth it

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened to me once. Made a rookie mistake years ago, and stepped on a half rotted log. Kept walking and started to feel sharp things on my jeans in my thigh area. I thought I had walked thru some thorn bushes somewhere until I looked down to see wasps or hornets stinging me. Their nest was apparently in the rotting log, and they didn't like the fact that I had just ruined their home.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that has never happened to me yet, though I did dig a plug in Charlotte NC that was full of fire ants. I just put the plug back and left that target.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I log in here contemplating writing up a post about my adventure yesterday evening... and see this! haha Yesterday I was walking over an old stone wall deep in the woods and feel two stings on my legs. Look down, brush off hornets from my legs and TAKE OFF RUNNING. about 50 yards later I stop and make sure they aren't on my clothes anymore, then realize my brand new Garmin GPSMAP 64s is no longer in its clip. :BangHead: I just got it a couple weeks ago... I dropped all my gear down in the woods and went back to the hornets nest to look for it. No where in sight. So my new $250 Garmin has been sacrificed to the cellar hole gods. It wasnt worth it either... all I dug was a CW era cuff I button, a utensil brass ferrule and some lead. So if anyone finds my garmin out in the woods, its got topo maps on it with cellar hole pin marks on them... if you return it, you can come hunt with me anywhere, anytime you want :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As a kid, I stepped on what appeared to be normal ground - then the ground came alive with Yellow Jackets. My Dad was home. Fortunately we lived in the country (no neighbors) cause I stripped right there in the front yard!

A year or two later, we had a huge nest of Red Wasps in the end of the house. I'd ride by on my little Honda Mini-Trail 50 and slap the house. One time they decided to follow me. I went over 1/4 mile before the last of the wasps finally stopped chasing.

When the wife and I moved up here, we found a spot where Bumble Bees had made a nest in the ground. We covered the area with a bag of lime - problem solved.

Then had a couple years here where Yellow Jackets had built a nest in an old bus seat out in the edge of the woods. After several years, I was finally able to work the old seat up through the tangle of roots, and finally understood why they were so safe there!

Then year before last, was chopping a small stump below ground level when I felt this searing pain on my neck! Just then I saw a Yellow Jacket land on me, but apparently it couldn't get the stinger through - but the first one was still stinging!! Is funny - I would regularly mow over that spot with the riding mower without problem, but they sure didn't like the vibrations of the axe hitting that small stump and them just 2 to 3 feet away. I sprayed, then covered the hole with some dirt - didn't work. Even put dirt in a plastic grocery bag - they bore through it!! Was finally able to put a concrete block over the hole - they tunneled around!! So finally I just waited for winter (a couple more weeks :laughing9:) and was able to stop the terror permanently.

Since then, have had very few Yellow Jackets here. Still have the hornets, Bumble Bees, Carpenter Bees, skeeters, biting flies and horse flies, but they aren't so bad usually - unless it's prime skeeter season!! Skeeter season always lasts at least a full month!

Have found some awesome hornet's nests since then also. Wife now has them in storage, waiting for inspiration on a nice nature display. Oh, while string trimming (walk-behind trimmer) a few days ago, stirred up a nest of Bumble Bees. No stings. They're beneficial, so just left them there. They don't seem to mind much when just a mower comes by, but they don't like someone moving slower than walking speed!!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a few years ago I went to Spencers Island Nova Scotia to visit my buddy that I've known for 60 plus years. This time I was a little to early and the no-seeums were everywhere. By the time they got done biting, my arms were purple from the bites. Never made that mistake again. Went up later in the season so we could detect in peace.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool Hand Fluke,

Sounds like "no-see-ums". These little buggers are small, but pack a powerful bite! :dontknow:

Doc

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hasn't happened to me metal detecting yet, although I'm way overdue. I've seen several attack stories here on TNet though. Seems to be a common problem this time of year. Nice finds by the way!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple weeks ago near my claim on the Arkansas river, met a rattlesnake with a head the size of my fist. The place I like to go in Granite, Colorado you find lots of mountain lion poop with bits of bone in it. I have to wear a gun there. Little boy was attacked there a few months ago, he survived with severe injuries.

Ridirtdigger

Greenie
Oct 28, 2014
South County, RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepped on three underground nests last year all within a few weeks span in September, not fun. First time I got stung three times and ended up losing my glasses. The other two times I did not get stung but my buddy did. Stinks that they attacked you but at least you found some stuff.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Yes, I have had it happen.

Stomping around in woods + Headphones + Bald-faced hornets = PAIN

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just find the hole in the ground they are coming out of and stab the crap out of it with your digging tool!!!:laughing7:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago I knocked on our neighbours door to see if I could detect. I used the backdoor which I didn't realize nobody uses, and accidentally bumped a wasp nest by the stairs. Before I knew it I was dancing around, and ended up crashing through the hedge, onto the street where I realized I was doing this in front of my wife who was out for a walk with our daughter and her friends. They all laughed, not knowing what was going on. I guess it looked funny although I got stung multiple times.

Oh the things we do to DIG!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going back for my canadian quarter I did detect the woods today but in a different area. I am stubborn and I will look for the silver quarter I dropped. I m going to get one of those spray cans that shoot like 50 ft and get my revenge and mt quarter. They evicted me now I will evict them!!!!!!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple years ago I knocked on our neighbours door to see if I could detect. I used the backdoor which I didn't realize nobody uses, and accidentally bumped a wasp nest by the stairs. Before I knew it I was dancing around, and ended up crashing through the hedge, onto the street where I realized I was doing this in front of my wife who was out for a walk with our daughter and her friends. They all laughed, not knowing what was going on. I guess it looked funny although I got stung multiple times.

Oh the things we do to DIG!

I gotta say... seeing someone run from bee's is one of the funniest things ever :laughing7: I've been on both ends of it many times... however, most of the time its me getting stung and chased, and others enjoying a good laugh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread