Attacked and chased out of the woods. This happen to anyone else ever?????

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my new found spot where I found two silvers and a pile of old coins 1 Indian head 1903 a 1911 wheat two 1918s and a 1928 and a 1917 buffolo nickel a 1963 quarter and a silver canadian which I lost .Today I went back found 3 clads and a tiny sreling ring looks like it was for a baby. anyway went to the spot where I found the 63 quarter I felt a sting I thought it was a sqeeter even though I sprayed off on twice then I saw all these bees so I left skid marks outta there and was stung two three times when I stopped I had to brush 5 or 6 bees off my clothes when I did that then they flew at me it was freakin crazy. My detecter is still on the ground where I dropped it finally after a while I went back and grabbed it and I only feel one of the stings now but I got EVICTED. I was by an old pond so Im hoping thats where they nest I wont go back by the pond again but want to detect the woods.. This happen to anyone else!!!Thanks for looking at my post Tommy bees 018.JPG bees 022.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 30

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I just carry on as normal. As long as I'm not disturbing the nest/hive, they don't want to expend energy stinging critters for no reason. I all my cases, I got stung because I disturbed their home.

Up here, the Yellow Jackets get EXTREMELY aggressive when we get into drought conditions (which basically means the water table is more than 10" under the grass! :tongue3:). The Yellow Jackets will be more bothersome, but still do not normally want to come at you with stinger's blazing. Best thing to do under normal circumstances is just move slowly. I'm not talking slow-motion - just normally. If you're swinging a detector fast, slow down, as though your MD has a slower response time.

The only exception to this rule that I know of is with the Africanized Bees. They're a bit on-edge anyway. ...Personally, I think it's due to too much caffeine! :laughing7:

ADDED: And if you're allergic to stings (or don't know), then I would HIGHLY recommend carrying an Epi-Pen with you at all times! The older Epi-Pens aren't supposed to be subjected to much heat, but there is a newer style out now that can better handle repeated exposure to heat. ...Oh, and don't let them get submerged in water - they are NOT waterproof! They should be stored in a darkened, waterproof case.

Added again: Just one more thing. Most people (I think) know this, so this is for those of you who don't. Wasps, bees and many other insects, as well as hummingbirds, are attracted to many bright colors - especially yellow's and red's. They associate these colors with food. Therefore, if you don't want to be hassled by these critters, avoid wearing flower-like colors when outdoors. Even having a small spot of color on headphones or a MD, or your shoes can make them come to investigate.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Nitric, it's like you are a magnet for bees, hornets, wasps, chiggers and who knows what else!!:icon_scratch: Did you ever wonder if it is your' Rosey nature that they are attracted to??:laughing7:

Frank

Yes!!!!! And I hate parasite type bugs or stinging bugs!! Almost to the point it might be a sickness!:laughing7: And I'm always the one that finds these things!!!!! I have been covered in ticks,fleas( from a rental that we were cleaning out),chiggers, spider bites,ants! Into nests of everything!!!!!!:laughing7:

And I don't care what any of you guys say!!! Hornets and Yellow jackets WILL chase you when you get into their nests!!!!!!:laughing7: My brother and I had the bright idea too when we were kids to dig up a yellow jacket nest to see what it looked like under the ground...We never made it that far!:laughing7:

Last edited:

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out detecting on an old football oval, when I saw a swarm of bee's heading in my direction. it looked like a small black cloud.

They came directly towards me, I don't know if I did the right thing, but I dove to the ground and lay flat like a lizard. They flew right over the top of me.
Scared the bejebers out of me.

Another time I was exposed in the middle of an old showground area, and I saw two big (looked like) wild dogs running flat out, again I nearly made pee pee, in my pants, but thankfully they didn't notice me.

And a third time I was detecting, and working my way slowly around the boundary of another footy oval, and came face to face with a big brown snake. As I was going so slowly, and looking down at my coil, we both didn't notice each other until I had nearly trod on him.
Both the snake and myself jumped at the same time lol, not sure who got the biggest fright.

they are my only scary detecting moments "so far"

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just carry on as normal. As long as I'm not disturbing the nest/hive, they don't want to expend energy stinging critters for no reason. I all my cases, I got stung because I disturbed their home.

Up here, the Yellow Jackets get EXTREMELY aggressive when we get into drought conditions (which basically means the water table is more than 10" under the grass! :tongue3:). The Yellow Jackets will be more bothersome, but still do not normally want to come at you with stinger's blazing. Best thing to do under normal circumstances is just move slowly. I'm not talking slow-motion - just normally. If you're swinging a detector fast, slow down, as though your MD has a slower response time.

The only exception to this rule that I know of is with the Africanized Bees. They're a bit on-edge anyway. ...Personally, I think it's due to too much caffeine! :laughing7:

ADDED: And if you're allergic to stings (or don't know), then I would HIGHLY recommend carrying an Epi-Pen with you at all times! The older Epi-Pens aren't supposed to be subjected to much heat, but there is a newer style out now that can better handle repeated exposure to heat. ...Oh, and don't let them get submerged in water - they are NOT waterproof! They should be stored in a darkened, waterproof case.

Added again: Just one more thing. Most people (I think) know this, so this is for those of you who don't. Wasps, bees and many other insects, as well as hummingbirds, are attracted to many bright colors - especially yellow's and red's. They associate these colors with food. Therefore, if you don't want to be hassled by these critters, avoid wearing flower-like colors when outdoors. Even having a small spot of color on headphones or a MD, or your shoes can make them come to investigate.

I didn't get this far in the thread, when I replied to Huntsman,.....Your right, most time they won't just attack. Even the giant bumble bees, or wood bees are more curious than harmful. They will buzz close to you and even at times dive at you.. But are basically harmless. My grandfather would let honey bees crawl all over his arms getting honey. and he wouldn't get stung...

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a yellow jacket summer. One sting and here they all come out of the ground. I feel your pain! Glad you are not allergic. Go early in the morn and find the hole and just keep some distance.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that if you wear bright colored clothing they are more apt to single you out.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a yellow jacket summer. One sting and here they all come out of the ground. I feel your pain! Glad you are not allergic. Go early in the morn and find the hole and just keep some distance.
This works if you have a general idea where the hole is. As the hole will be small, it can be very difficult to see. Go to the general area and watch for Yellow Jackets flying through the air. Sooner or later you'll catch on which direction to follow. Once you find their hole, spray it down from 8'-10' away. This will piss them off!! You may have to run as some of them will be looking for something to attack, but the ones coming back to the nest with nectar will be more concerned with getting into the nest - so the only really dangerous ones at that point are any that are able to make it out the hole and attack.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, black flies, skeeters, and bees.
I've donated to all of them.
Been lucky so far with ticks, but that could change on any trip into the woods.
Nice save on the silver ring.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer and glad you didn't have a reaction to those stings. I got way to close to a large, angry rattler Tuesday trying to get some muscadines off my vine and was so sick I thought his rattle was cicadas making a racket. If I had been at myself I might have figured it out earlier that cicadas make a racket all over the yard and the woods, but this was just behind my shed. I almost walked over until I saw his head move and I suspect he was not alone and I've never heard a rattlesnake make that much noise with his rattle before. I also was cutting grass in my back yard many years ago when I was younger and able to move a lot faster than I can now and ran my push mower over a next of ground hornets and when they came boiling out of the ground, I left the push mower right where it was. After dark, I took some gas in a small bottle and moved my mower and poured it in their nest. Just have to be careful whether we are metal detecting, cutting grass or just puttering around the house. Old snake did his part and warned me, but I was so slack-eyed and silly, I almost trespassed his warning and brought about my own injury. Let's all me careful out there, the life you save might just be your very own.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yeah add me to the list. Been through it before a few times. Usually I only get stung once or twice. It's almost always yellow jackets from a hole in the ground

Sucks to because they chase you down. I'm just a fast runner thankfully

Im always aware of my surroundings. I try and tread lightly through the woods

HH Jer

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
My dad and I detected this section of woods. We started getting bit by mosquitos. After getting chewed up, we RAN to the truck and slammed the doors closed. These buggers were so determined, that they were diving into the glass windows, trying to get at us. ive never seen anything like that before.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I log in here contemplating writing up a post about my adventure yesterday evening... and see this! haha Yesterday I was walking over an old stone wall deep in the woods and feel two stings on my legs. Look down, brush off hornets from my legs and TAKE OFF RUNNING. about 50 yards later I stop and make sure they aren't on my clothes anymore, then realize my brand new Garmin GPSMAP 64s is no longer in its clip. :BangHead: I just got it a couple weeks ago... I dropped all my gear down in the woods and went back to the hornets nest to look for it. No where in sight. So my new $250 Garmin has been sacrificed to the cellar hole gods. It wasnt worth it either... all I dug was a CW era cuff I button, a utensil brass ferrule and some lead. So if anyone finds my garmin out in the woods, its got topo maps on it with cellar hole pin marks on them... if you return it, you can come hunt with me anywhere, anytime you want :laughing7:
I have that same GPS I love it. Sorry for your loss

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have that same GPS I love it. Sorry for your loss

For the 16 days I had it, it was amazing :laughing7: I loaded East Coast topo maps on it. I used Google Earth to overlay some mid 1800s maps in some areas so when I'm hiking I can walk on the old maps.... it was cool! Its hard to swallow a loss like that so quick. Had I had it for a year or two I would think "whelp, I got some good use out of it".

I had a GPSMAP 60csx for years that I loved. It hiked the grand canyon backcountry and up in Vancouver Island BC and many other places with me... That one went overboard on a lake in Maine a couple years ago and sunk to the depths... I had a good run with that GPS and put it through a lot, so it was easier to stomach that loss. I had finally decided to pull the trigger on this 64s and I lose it right away.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back in the fall after some cold weather drives them bee's into hiding. I had to do that once to get at a good bottle dump I wanted to dig.

That's What I would do in the Pond Area, After the First Hard Freeze & Before Heavy Snow. If Possible.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a lull in the Yellow Jacket Population the past 3-4 years, ( seems most of the Nests were dug out buy something?
I was thinking Armadillos that have moved up from the south in this Warmer time on Earth , Most were dug out with the Cone laying close by. Did not get stung in those 4 years.

This year their back & that's good IMO , We need then for Pollination & other things.

A week ago today , I squat down to dig a Small 36 cal ball then saw a Yellow jacket on my Glove, looked down & they were on my pants.. Good thing I wear thick Cargo Style pants. Brushed off about 10 f them & RAN Got a good 30 ft away & realized there were 2 under my pouch & a couple more on my pants trying to Sting Through & 2 were Circling my Head...
Took off for another 30+ ft (Holding My Breath) [I hear they are attracted to Carbon Dioxide ] & likely the Scent the Others had left on Me.
Ya Know I still had 1 circling my head & I sure did not want to get stung on the Face or Neck ..So another 25-30 ft & was left alone. FINALLY.

Same kinda Deal about a Month Before but I had Thinner Pants on then Got 2 stings on one leg ran 50 ish feet & Still had a Couple Swarming Me. I had to go a-bit further to ditch those.

Never Been stung by a hornet (Thank Goodness) but we used to throw rocks at their nests . Daaaaaa.
Most Hornet (Balled Face) Nests around here are usually in a Tree , pretty high up overlooking an open areas like Beside larger Creeks , Rivers , Pastures but have Seen them on the Side of 2 & 3 story Houses.

As it's been stated they will chase you.

I'd rather deal with Snakes (Not Eastern DiamondBacks ) than mess with Yellow Jackets.

Note ... A good way of Spotting a in ground Nest [especially a very active one] is in the right light best in the Morning or Evening just do a 360 scanning the air about 3-5 feet up & you should see them Coming back & fourth 2 in , 3 out ,5 out 4 in kinda thing. Like a Very busy Airport with 1 Runway.

Be watchful & Good Luck out there.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did go back got a spray from the hardware store that would blow your hair back at 20 feet soaked the area with this agent orange type stuff I dont even remember the name on the cak I was kinda on edge but I wanted to look for my canadian quarter didnt find it I have a total of 3,000 plus clad coins and only 52 silver I keep in display cases silver is hard to find around here so I looked could not find it I even scanned the hole of the bees nest just in case!!!!!Ya never know I was alot more and will stay alot more observant Ill sat one thing that deep woods off works amazing its pricey but worth every cent. Thanks for all your stories.If it nwas someone else I would laugh my a!!!! off also

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad and I detected this section of woods. We started getting bit by mosquitos. After getting chewed up, we RAN to the truck and slammed the doors closed. These buggers were so determined, that they were diving into the glass windows, trying to get at us. ive never seen anything like that before.

When we first bought this old farmhouse, it had sat abandoned for about 20 years. The grasses in this area grow up over 6' tall. Such a sparsely populated area that in summer, when leaves are on the trees, you can't see light coming from any other neighbors in any direction! In winter when no leaves, can see from 1 and sometimes a 2nd house, both miles away.

Anyway, our first night staying in this old, abandoned house with no electricity, no water, no toilet, no nothing, we actually pitched a tent in one of the rooms. The sound of skeeters outside the window was so loud that we hardly slept at all - sounded like we were trying to sleep right near a huge hornet's nest that was full of very unhappy hornets!

Word of caution for you folks that like to drive your truck out into tall grasses - beware the heat from your engine. It can dry out the grasses and actually catch them on fire!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go search my post happened to me and my partner 4 x this year 2 for him and 2 for me, yellow jackets 3x and he got the bald face hornets once they were vicious compared to the yellow jackets.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, I've never encountered bees while detecting. I always try to be cautious near any obvious holes in the ground. When I was a kid I ran a lawnmower over a yellow jacket nest in the ground and got stung 20 or 25 times. It was awful. The closest I've come to danger while metal detecting was when I walked up on a bobcat hiding in the brush. Could have turned out really badly but luckily it sprang out of the brush in the opposite direction.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go search my post happened to me and my partner 4 x this year 2 for him and 2 for me, yellow jackets 3x and he got the bald face hornets once they were vicious compared to the yellow jackets.

NC Is Known for it's Hornets.
Glad Y'all Lived. Esp, Yr Buddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread