Mysterious coin and more clad

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KYWONDER and I got out today to take advantage of the cooler weather again. We opted to go to a new park that I've only been to once before. We hit it hard for 4 hours. It's pretty spread out and not easy terrain so it was a challenging day. We didnt get much for our efforts. I pulled $3.56 in clad. Even though I didnt get much money, I still got more than KYWONDER for a change ;) ALSO, I went out to our field yesterday for surface finds and found a coin! It is probably a penny of some kind as it's the same size as a penny. Unfortunately it is toasted. I have it soaking in olive oil right now. Since I've never found an old coin and it was found near where my husband found his old Mercury and Barber dimes, IH peny, and wheats. So I am hoping to get at least a date off it. Any suggestions on cleaning it would be greatly appreciated!
20160818_154005.jpg Below is the picture of the mystery coin. It is NOT in the pic above. Given the circle indentation we are thinking it may be an IH penny when we compared it to the other IH my husband found in the same location. 20160819_063646.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice load of clad, congratulations!

I hope you find out the type and year of your coin.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds. Good luck with the ID. I sometimes use electrolysis or hot peroxide, but not on anything that might have value.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Mysterious coin May be either a Zinclon or '43 Steel

Last edited:
OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your Mysterious coin May be either a Zinclon or '43 Steel
Thanks Jeff. I'm curious why you don't think it could be be an IH or a wheat? Is it because of the corrosion?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test a Zincoln against a copper penny with the
AT PRO.
Then scan the coin you found and compare the readouts.
Also congrats on your finds.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test a Zincoln against a copper penny with the
AT PRO.
Then scan the coin you found and compare the readouts.
Also congrats on your finds.

One other thing though.
Also compare a Zinclon to a Early Indian.

My Minelabs couldn't distinguish early indians (1870's & earlier) from New pennies .

(good for me, Bad for a friend who didn't want to dig rotted Zinc pennies :laughing7: )

Last edited:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. If the coin on the bottom row at the end is your mystery coin, it does unfortunately look like a zincoln. You two are going to score some good stuff for sure. Good history in Kentucky. A lot of loyalists fled to there from the Carolina mountains during the revolution. Great possibilities.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. If the coin on the bottom row at the end is your mystery coin, it does unfortunately look like a zincoln. You two are going to score some good stuff for sure. Good history in Kentucky. A lot of loyalists fled to there from the Carolina mountains during the revolution. Great possibilities.

Thanks Tom. See new pic above. The mystery coin wasn't in the first photo.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One other thing though.

My Minelabs couldn't distinguish early indians (1870's & earlier) from New pennies .

(good for me, Bad for a friend who didn't want to dig rotted Zinc pennies :laughing7: )

Bummer! I need to start digging more zincolns :) We tested it with the AT Pro and it rang up 71-72. Zincolns always ring up 75 to 79 for me.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer! We tested it with the AT Pro and it rang up 71-72. Zincolns always ring up 75 to 79 for me.

As I said Zinclon or Early Indian then .
I'm not sure But I think my Flying Eagles come up in the Zinc Penny range also.
Been awhile though

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know if electrolysis would help clean this coin or would it damage it? If it is an early IH penny, I certainly don't want to damage it!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing though.

On the Etrac or CTX 3030 an Indian Head Penny will come in from
12 - 33 to 12 - 38. Early Indians,
(1859 - 1864, weight -4.67g),, contained 12 % nickle. They were also called fatties because they are thicker and weigh more, than the later minted Indians. (1864 - 1909. weight - 3.11g).
I recovered an 1864 Indian, (Copper Nickel) on a
12 - 24 signal. That very number has given up a Buffalo nickel, as well as a 14k gold signet ring. I will always investigate a 12 - 24 signal.
On the DEUS, the fatties will register a 74 while a copper Indian will come in at 84. The DEUS will also register a Zincoln at 84. I'm not crazy about digging Zincolns, so I will only dig an Indian Signal if it is deep, regardless of which machine I am using.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(1859 - 1864, weight -4.67g),, contained 12 % nickle. They were also called fatties because they are thicker and weigh more, than the later minted Indians. (1864 - 1909. weight - 3.11g).
12 - 24 signal. That very number has given up a Buffalo nickel, as well as a 14k gold signet ring. I will always investigate a 12 - 24 signal.
On the DEUS, the fatties will register a 12 - 74 while a copper Indian will come in at 12 - 84. The DEUS will also register a Zincoln at 12-84. I'm not crazy about digging Zincolns, so I usually dig an Indian Signal if it is deep, regardless of which machine I am using.

I only avoid Zinclons after digging a handfull in a row :tongue3:
Zinc Pocket Spill end up staying where they are :laughing7:

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the DEUS, the fatties will register a 74 while a copper Indian will come in at 84. The DEUS will also register a Zincoln at 84. I'm not crazy about digging Zincolns, so I usually dig an Indian Signal if it is deep, regardless of which machine I am using.

Great info.
I just checked my hubby's 2 IH he has found in same location. One was a 72 the other more corroded one jumped from 68-75. I know it's not an exact science. We are almost certain that the circle indentation indicates the wreath on the IH. It helps that we have two here to compare it to side by side. Also, it is definitely copper as it has some green corrosion on the front of the coin.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with green I wouldn't rule out Indian.
or even very early lincoln.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds. Good luck with the ID. I sometimes use electrolysis or hot peroxide, but not on anything that might have value.

So Trap, you wouldn't recommend electrolysis?

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE!!! The coin has been identified today as an 1890 IHP. See before and after pics below. Lots of time went in to soaking it in olive oil and lightly rubbing the crud off. I'm officially a member of the 1800s club! Very happy to have found my first IHP. 20160819_063646.jpg 20160828_122459-1.jpg 20160828_122612.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread