Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Alexander the Great (336-323 BC) bronze coins.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    5965 times
    Prospecting
    40°C?? That's not Italy - that's Hades!

Nice finds!!
    vince76 and Oldden like this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

With the finds you made yesterday it looks like you're really onto something! You're lucky the iron survived. There will be a lot more to find in that area.
    CRUSADER and vince76 like this.

Charter Member
    mk
    Oct 2015
    Macedonia
    Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
    1706 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    No worries.
    Find these & there is normally a Site nearby. I get lots of them. Look out for some with little bits of clay pot still attached or even better, the 'Thumb Print' of the person doing the fix.
    With the fingerprint!! It would be seriously the best find for me. I hope it happens.
    I checked the stuff i have found in this area and i have another one but bigger. First i thought it was only scrap.
    CRUSADER likes this.
    We shall hunt on the beaches, we shall hunt on the landing grounds, we shall hunt in the fields and in the streets, we shall hunt in the hills, we shall never surrender. 2018

Great 2017
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...at-2017-a.html

us
    Mar 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
    139 times
    Love the big iron arrowheads, maybe from a "scorpion"? The coins are just amazing also. Your finds just give me chills! Thanks for sharing them, they are incredible.
    vince76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vince76 View Post
    With the fingerprint!! It would be seriously the best find for me. I hope it happens.
    I checked the stuff i have found in this area and i have another one but bigger. First i thought it was only scrap.
    Yeap, about as personal as you can get with someone from 2000 years ago.
    vince76 likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Illinois/Ohio
    White's
    672 times
    Hey Vince, my bullet has a thick patina, some is stained darker but it must be the flash or poor lighting making it look cleaned. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just show you a good example.

I had been trying to learn about the ballistic properties of lead sling bullets a while ago and read that a trained slinger could achieve ranges up to and in excess of 400 yards, and a velocity of up to 190 feet per second upon release, which for my particular 452 grain (29.3 gram) bullet would impart 36 foot-pounds of energy; more than enough to cause massive damage.

For one of your 60 gram bullets, that would be 74 foot-pounds of energy. Compared to a standard 40 grain .22 LR round going 1,085 FPS with muzzle energy of 105 foot-pounds some may scoff, but the small .22 bullet won't crush bones and cause catastrophic contusions and organ damage quite like a sling bullet, which transfers most of that energy on impact instead of generally passing through soft tissue like the .22 bullet. It truly was a fearsome weapon for 300 BC!

Quote Originally Posted by vince76 View Post
    I love iron spearheads and arrowheads as well, but it is hard to date/attribute them. The Arrowhead on the left has a wide midrib that is reminiscent of pre-Christian Iron Age examples from a broad geographic range but I wouldn't be surprised if the style was made for 1,500 years.

The Iron point on the right actually appears to be a "spear butt" spike used to both protect the bottom of the spear shaft and also easily stab and kill wounded enemies lying on the ground. It could have been a quickly-produced point made by the blacksmith as the enemies were approaching, but my guess is that it was a spear butt that was originally longer and had a wider socket which rusted away (like the socket of your spearhead)

Superb discoveries, please keep this spot a secret because I'm sure there are many more treasures waiting to be found, and many people would be happy to steal your spot if they figured out where it was. I hope you find some fat silver Tetradrachms of Alexander next time you hunt!
    vince76 likes this.

us
    coppersmith

Oct 2013
    brunswick md
    WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
    3925 times
    Relic Hunting
    WHAT THE , YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN . COOL ARTIFACTS .
    vince76 likes this.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    2785 times
    Vince, you are always killing it with the coinage...but now with relics too? Now you are killin me...great job, as always.
    vince76 likes this.

Charter Member
    mk
    Oct 2015
    Macedonia
    1706 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    Hey Vince, my bullet has a thick patina, some is stained darker but it must be the flash or poor lighting making it look cleaned. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just show you a good example.

I had been trying to learn about the ballistic properties of lead sling bullets a while ago and read that a trained slinger could achieve ranges up to and in excess of 400 yards, and a velocity of up to 190 feet per second upon release, which for my particular 452 grain (29.3 gram) bullet would impart 36 foot-pounds of energy; more than enough to cause massive damage.

For one of your 60 gram bullets, that would be 74 foot-pounds of energy. Compared to a standard 40 grain .22 LR round going 1,085 FPS with muzzle energy of 105 foot-pounds some may scoff, but the small .22 bullet won't crush bones and cause catastrophic contusions and organ damage quite like a sling bullet, which transfers most of that energy on impact instead of generally passing through soft tissue like the .22 bullet. It truly was a fearsome weapon for 300 BC!

I love iron spearheads and arrowheads as well, but it is hard to date/attribute them. The Arrowhead on the left has a wide midrib that is reminiscent of pre-Christian Iron Age examples from a broad geographic range but I wouldn't be surprised if the style was made for 1,500 years.

The Iron point on the right actually appears to be a "spear butt" spike used to both protect the bottom of the spear shaft and also easily stab and kill wounded enemies lying on the ground. It could have been a quickly-produced point made by the blacksmith as the enemies were approaching, but my guess is that it was a spear butt that was originally longer and had a wider socket which rusted away (like the socket of your spearhead)

Superb discoveries, please keep this spot a secret because I'm sure there are many more treasures waiting to be found, and many people would be happy to steal your spot if they figured out where it was. I hope you find some fat silver Tetradrachms of Alexander next time you hunt!
    Wow
    I am impressed with all this info.
    Now it is easy to understand why some of them are really damaged.
    I have found most of them at the same altitude around the hill. Maybe, the defending troops were situated there or maybe some defending walls that don't exist any more.

I'm also suprised with the spear butt's info. It is impresive keeping it in my hand.

Thanks a lot Plumbata
    We shall hunt on the beaches, we shall hunt on the landing grounds, we shall hunt in the fields and in the streets, we shall hunt in the hills, we shall never surrender. 2018

Great 2017

Charter Member
    mk
    Oct 2015
    Macedonia
    1706 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by sutphin View Post
    WHAT THE , YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN . COOL ARTIFACTS .
    I know i know
    Thanks Sutphin

Great 2017

Charter Member
    mk
    Oct 2015
    Macedonia
    1706 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    Vince, you are always killing it with the coinage...but now with relics too? Now you are killin me...great job, as always.
    Thanks Villagenut
    I think it is luck. I am lucky for living near this area and so i can get there easily.

Great 2017

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    5959 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Did a bucket come with those I wosh I had that kind of History here. Great finds Thanks for sharing em with us. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    vince76 likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    mk
    Oct 2015
    Macedonia
    1706 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Did a bucket come with those I wosh I had that kind of History here. Great finds Thanks for sharing em with us. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks A2
    A2coins likes this.

Great 2017

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Eastern Canada
    XP DEUS
    2649 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Awesome finds! Congratulations!