Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding the stirrup and other goodies at my favorite colonial site last weekend I decided to take a day off work Tuesday and visit the site again. This time I took my probe with the hopes of finding more trash pits to dig. My first stop was a low area that is basically a mud bog, where a few weeks ago DirtStalker found some black glass bottle shards partially exposed. A quick probe revealed that there is a LOT of glass there, over a larger area than we thought. So much so that I believe this was the plantation's main trash pit, which I have named the Swamp Pit.

So I dug down about six inches with the shovel and heard the familiar crunch of stacked glass shards-but this time it was black glass. I was excavating black glass bottle necks, bases and broken side pieces steadily and the glass was thick down to about 18 inches. Here are just a few examples; this is only a fraction of what I dug:

20160819_181745.jpg

I quickly figured out that the best way to work through the pile was to use a screwdriver and work it through the mud. I came across the base of an early onion bottle at the bottom of the pit that was in really good shape so I saved all of the glass that surrounded it with the hope that I might be able to reconstruct it. After I got home Tuesday evening and cleaned everything up I was able to match the neck and a piece from the side of the bottle. I glued them together and the result was an onion bottle that is about 75 percent complete. It's a smaller one and based on the shape it was made sometime between 1680 and the 1720s.

20160817_210035.jpg

20160819_182903.jpg 20160819_182813.jpg

Back to the dig...
About halfway through the day I found a bottle seal that bears the initials "WH" and has a small sunburst at the bottom. I have wanted to find one of these for a long time and was pretty stoked when I did. From what I understand, "WH" would have been the bottle owners' initials; and owning sealed bottles was a sign of wealth.

20160819_183331.jpg

I also found several types of pottery shards as well as pieces of other types of bottles. I have managed to start reconstructing some of them and hope to find other pieces that match in the future.

20160819_182053.jpg

20160819_182642.jpg

20160819_182730.jpg

The pit has a lot of colonoware (slave pottery) shards in it and I saved all of the ones that I found.

20160819_183728.jpg

No colonial trash pit would be complete without animal bone fragments and teeth and this one is no exception.

20160819_181851.jpg

At the end of the day I did a little bit of detecting at the main site and scored this small decorative pewter bridle boss:

20160819_183209.jpg 20160819_183100.jpg

Here is a group shot of all of my finds for the day:

20160819_185222.jpg

With all that I found, I only put a dent in the pit. I can see many more trips to the Swamp Pit in my future-starting tomorrow. 8-)

To be continued...

20160816_114954.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 22

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That onion bottle reconstruction is just crazy cool Glenn. Sorry I won't be able to join you in tomorrow's pig fest but you know what usually happens when I don't come......A Great Find for you. And we both know it's in that pit.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FANTASTIC job on that reconstruction Glenn. I love those onion bottles and that glass blob seal. Was there much iron down there with the glass? Any non-ferrous relics in the pit too? The Swamp pit sounds killer man. I really can't wait to see what else you find down there.

Oddly, the second half of the pictures in your post don't show up for me. Hopefully they will eventually show up so I can see the pottery and your group shot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC job on that reconstruction Glenn. I love those onion bottles and that glass blob seal. Was there much iron down there with the glass? Any non-ferrous relics in the pit too? The Swamp pit sounds killer man. I really can't wait to see what else you find down there.

Oddly, the second half of the pictures in your post don't show up for me. Hopefully they will eventually show up so I can see the pottery and your group shot.

Thanks Brad, I'm having technical difficulties with this one. How about now?

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding metal relics I have run the detecor over the pit several times with virtually no signals, and it is not feasible to sift the mud. But the glass is 6 to 18 inches deep so the metallic objects are probably deeper than the ATPro can detect.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an awesome job finding and replacing those pieces to repair that old onion bottle.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow DND you are one dedicated dude! The reconstructions are beautiful, nice job. Quite the spot you have there, anything could come out of there.

I have to thank you for showing the bridle boss. I found a very similar item in a field in England in the spring, but I had no idea what it was. I wasn't sure how old it was as most of the finds on that field were 100-1600 AD. According to your other finds, the boss must be colonial as well? Here's a pic of mine, it's a pretty close match. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471671671.164989.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471671685.694728.jpg

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See if you can borrow a Garrett ATX and search it!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man that onion bottle is killer! Bill D would love that thing! I would go buy a GPX 5000 tomorrow and see what early finds were waiting for me down below. That's the type of site that could easily give up a nice early cob or a Mass silver. Why not a Lord Baltimore 8-). I'm a bit jealous of that site as I love the 1600s sites. They're in a league of their own in my opinion

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow DND you are one dedicated dude! The reconstructions are beautiful, nice job. Quite the spot you have there, anything could come out of there.

I have to thank you for showing the bridle boss. I found a very similar item in a field in England in the spring, but I had no idea what it was. I wasn't sure how old it was as most of the finds on that field were 100-1600 AD. According to your other finds, the boss must be colonial as well? Here's a pic of mine, it's a pretty close match. View attachment 1349497 View attachment 1349498

Wow that's a perfect match. Pretty neat that you found yours in England and mine was found at a colonial American site. Now there's no doubt mine is British made.

The plantation was active from the 1680s to the 1780s so that will at least narrow yours to a one hundred year window.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice recoveries! "Pancake" English onion bottle reconstruction looks great. Congrats and HH

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have a great hunt and able to pull a unbroken one out , great finds

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding metal relics I have run the detecor over the pit several times with virtually no signals, and it is not feasible to sift the mud. But the glass is 6 to 18 inches deep so the metallic objects are probably deeper than the ATPro can detect.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that that pit is loaded down below detector range. The 2 times I played in it the place had recent rain and was sloppy muddy. I did manage pulling few odd iron pieces out but I must have pulled 20+ bottle bottoms and some bottle tops out of that Pig Swamp. I told Glenn all we needed is a backhoe and we could get to the motherload. He agreed to provide the backhoe if I would provide the helicopter to deliver it to Pig Swamp. I believe working it today he will get down to small sections of goodies but not without a massive amount of hand work. Hope he kills it today.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding recoveries and excellent job on the bottle reconstruction which definitely dates to the early 1700s. And seals are very fun to find as well. With a little research you might be able to determine the owner based on those initials. And BTW - that small leather ornament dates to the 1600s (see link below). Great dig man!

http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/SmallFinds/LeatherOrnaments/LeatherOrnamentsBySite.htm

Thanks for the link Bill, definitely reaching into the 1600's with the leather mount.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions