More treasures from the silver coin hoard field!

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

So some of you may remember my recent thread that i started about my coin spill/hoard of George iii sixpences and shilling.

Well the day later i popped back to the field eager to try and get a few more if there was any left. I knew that i needed to change the settings on my Minelab safari if i was going to stand any chance of doing so as i had already got all the original signals. So with this in mind i decided to take the sensitivity out of auto and crank it up to full power and i also raised the threshold slightly to hear and weak, deep signals.
This worked a treat and i managed to winkle another two George iii sixpences out of the same hole from a good depth.

Along with them i also found a good amount of pre-decimal coins ranging from Queen Victoria right through to modern day Elizabeth.

About 10 minutes before i planned to go home i got a belting signal which was so crisp and clean, I instantly thought it was going to be another silver coin. I dug down to over a foot deep through two big tree roots and after about 5 minutes of prizing the find out of the ground and through the roots i had a large silver drinking vessel of some sorts in my hand. There is some inscription on it albeit in a different language which i need to decipher but i can make out the inscribed date of 1856 ! this is quite literally the field of dreams for me and i cannot wait to go back.

thanks for reading.

here is the video link
https://youtu.be/JzqLl2m5l8M

and here is a picture of the two coins and jug!
IMG_0333.JPG

Upvote 10

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an unusual find, beats my biggest bit of silver by a long way - very nice.

I touched on land-owner permission on the other post. All items are legally the land-owners until you have an agreement that states what happens to them when you find them. Permission to detect is not enough to cover you legally for any of the finds you might get.
That is why its important to spell out to the owner what the %age spare is, or if he is happy for you to keep it all. If you haven't already, you need at least a verbal contract with a witness to cover you on this field. Because it looks like you may need it.:thumbsup:
The last thing you want is a large valuable reportable find which you have no rights on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an unusual find, beats me biggest bit of silver by a long way - very nice.

I touched on land-owner permission on the other post. All items are legally the land-owners until you have an agreement that states what happens to them when you find them. Permission to detect is not enough to cover you legally for any of the finds you might get.
That is why its important to spell out to the owner what the %age spare is, or if he is happy for you to keep it all. If you haven't already, you need at least a verbal contract with a witness to cover you on this field. Because it looks like you may need it.:thumbsup:
The last thing you want is a large valuable reportable find which you have no rights on.

Thanks Crusader that is something i had seriously overlooked especially as im a guest in theory and its my detecting buddy who has the agreement with the land owner although they are happy for me to detect there also. I am meeting the land owner again soon so will enquire about the agreements.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the cup has a pair of names, a variety of marriage cup? Or a presentation piece?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader that is something i had seriously overlooked especially as im a guest in theory and its my detecting buddy who has the agreement with the land owner although they are happy for me to detect there also. I am meeting the land owner again soon so will enquire about the agreements.
Yes, its easy to over-look until you get a £2-3M find, then the land-owner wakes up, & its too late for you. Although I know of other retrospective agreements that have come out 50/50, it's a gamble I'm not ever going to take. The Law wins every time.(ie. 0 to you, 100% to them)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, just thought I would help you out, because these things are years in the making. When you start out, as a hobbyist its not something you consider.

The way to break it with the land-owner is;
'In the rare event that I find an extremely rare find worth a lot of money, that I am required to declare by Law within 14 days I need your contact details for the Coroner. Because they will write to you & ask you what the agreement is. I suggest that in this event, we will split the proceeds 50/50 (after costs). Are you happy with this agreement?
However, I'm likely to find lots of low value items (state a figure) that as a collector & someone interested history I would like to keep, is that OK?

We go one step further & give them a running collection of finds (decided by us), with maps & IDs. This is only possible because of the volume we get, & maybe an aspiration for later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, just thought I would help you out, because these things are years in the making. When you start out, as a hobbyist its not something you consider.

The way to break it with the land-owner is;
'In the rare event that I find an extremely rare find worth a lot of money, that I am required to declare by Law within 14 days I need your contact details for the Coroner. Because they will write to you & ask you what the agreement is. I suggest that in this event, we will split the proceeds 50/50 (after costs). Are you happy with this agreement?
However, I'm likely to find lots of low value items (state a figure) that as a collector & someone interested history I would like to keep, is that OK?

We go one step further & give them a running collection of finds (decided by us), with maps & IDs. This is only possible because of the volume we get, & maybe an aspiration for later.

Excellent Crusador I will use this, is it wise to get a signed written agreement as to what percentage goes where? I don't want to spook the land owners though to much. I have always gone on verbal but I don't think that would stand up in court

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 10 minutes before i planned to go home i got a belting signal which was so crisp and clean, I instantly thought it was going to be another silver coin. I dug down to over a foot deep through two big tree roots and after about 5 minutes of prizing the find out of the ground and through the roots i had a large silver drinking vessel of some sorts in my hand. There is some inscription on it albeit in a different language which i need to decipher but i can make out the inscribed date of 1856 ! this is quite literally the field of dreams for me and i cannot wait to go back.

I was thoroughly liking the first video yesterday and now this!

I will be eagerly awaiting the translation and better pics of the text.

It also made me think of a song:
Lonely People by America

And the words "..... thinking that life [beeps] has passed you by ....."

This is just a good example of not "giving up" on a site just because you thought you found it all.

Great work!

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thoroughly liking the first video yesterday and now this!

I will be eagerly awaiting the translation and better pics of the text.

It also made me think of a song:
Lonely People by America

And the words "..... thinking that life [beeps] has passed you by ....."

This is just a good example of not "giving up" on a site just because you thought you found it all.

Great work!

Haha cheers my friend, i will definatly not be giving up in this land there is loads more to go at. I will hopefully get on with getting a better photo of the inscription this evening and post it on this thread

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys here is the close up of the inscription, its really hard to make out and to photograph but im starting to think its maybe German or something?!

IMG_0335.JPG

It says something like

Bortha Abrochner
Fron ihrom Vikel
F.J Stecker

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an excellent site and great finds for you. Congratulations.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find's & an informative Thread , Now I need to check out your first post.

Man ..That Cup is AWESOME.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Crusador I will use this, is it wise to get a signed written agreement as to what percentage goes where? I don't want to spook the land owners though to much. I have always gone on verbal but I don't think that would stand up in court

A verbal contract in Law is as strong as a written one, as long as you have a witness it will hold up fine.
Most, accept that a 50/50 share is fair, after all, your doing all the work.(remember this is for declarable treasure, which in the case of the odd Roman Silver ring, means sharing £40 each) As long as you respect his land & his rules your been fine. Every farmer has different rules, which you should always follow.

Most of our farms are verbal, & only a couple are written contract. Only go written if they suggest, because I'm in your camp, that it could get you kick-back.

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good result specially digging that deep amongst the roots ! Hutch..

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
It says "from ihren Onkel" which is "from her uncle" in German, I believe. Mr. Stecker must be her uncle. Great finds and congrats on all you're pulling from the site.

OP
OP
B

bainsey

Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says "from ihren Onkel" which is "from her uncle" in German, I believe. Mr. Stecker must be her uncle. Great finds and congrats on all you're pulling from the site.

Thanks you so much for that my friend! I'm trying to track down a living family member, the niece from what I can work out is the local Barons daughter.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Can you take a paper and a pencil to get more detail out of the last row? The one with 1856.

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a baptismal cup? Just a guess. Nice finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread