Possible civil war button???

COIL2SOIL

Mar 22, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting Tuesday night and had this button blow my ears out. Rang up a solid 81 and was 10 inches deep. Was thinking it was my first ihp. Then out comes the button with a shiny gold color on the back. There is definitely a design on the front but I don't want to rub it to much to make it worse. The back of the button reads " Treble Gilt Orange Colour". There are also little square marks around the center lines. Research doesn't show to much, possible 1820-1850 circa and they were made of double stamped copper alloy. Some sites say they were used in the civil war. Anyone else know anything else about these? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472137372.978747.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472137388.030155.jpg

Upvote 1

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've dug what seems like hundreds of these here in central Va. where the civil war was fought and most often you can never be sure unless they've got some certain stamping or marking that clearly ties it to the war. In addition, down here confederate uniforms always had the possibility of using "civilian " buttons, so I guess it's possible. pretty cool find nonetheless!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those were civilian, but Confederates had them on their uniforms. Along with general service eagle, Confederate issued, state pre-war, bone, wood or anything else they could find. They were used in the war, but there's no way to say for certain with each individual button. Even on old Civil War campsites, it's always possible those were from an earlier campsite that predates the Civil War campsite on top of that one.

OP
OP
COIL2SOIL

COIL2SOIL

Mar 22, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thank you for giving me more information on these. Always love learning new things especially when it pertains to history.

OP
OP
COIL2SOIL

COIL2SOIL

Mar 22, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug what seems like hundreds of these here in central Va. where the civil war was fought and most often you can never be sure unless they've got some certain stamping or marking that clearly ties it to the war. In addition, down here confederate uniforms always had the possibility of using "civilian " buttons, so I guess it's possible. pretty cool find nonetheless!

Either of you have any ideas on how to clean up the front a little? There's a design on it that started to come out but I didn't want to damage it any further.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggervet and Worm Slicer are correct. But if you dug yours in Michigan, it's pretty safe to say that it is just an 1820s-1840s civilian flat button.
However, any site that is giving up buttons like that definitely gets my interest!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either of you have any ideas on how to clean up the front a little? There's a design on it that started to come out but I didn't want to damage it any further.

Makes no difference its a blank front.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ps, if you want to clean the back use lemon juice.

Gilthorn

Feb 16, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double Gilt Question

Picked this up today. Any thoughts on date? Can't see anything on the front, all worn away. It's a flat disk. button.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggervet and Worm Slicer are correct. But if you dug yours in Michigan, it's pretty safe to say that it is just an 1820s-1840s civilian flat button.
However, any site that is giving up buttons like that definitely gets my interest!
yeap,plain fronted

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not really Steve, I dug this beauty here in Michigan, at one of my home sites Unusual..........yes but there here also! 16112913612405.jpg 16112913525893.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread