Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who hasn't heard this line "Has that thing paid for itself yet?"
This is my first gold diamond ring find. It was the third signal I dug up last evening and honestly I thought I was digging a nickel or some trash since it came in under the 57-60 range on the AT pro. I found it about 2 inches down. It's missing one of the 15 diamonds from the setting. I'm planning on going back out there and harvesting some of the dirt that I left in that hole to see if I can find it. The link below the pictures is to the manufacturer of the ring. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1005.JPG

IBG | 58416XXX4X - IBG

Upvote 31
OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was actually thinking of getting a Makro Racer with a wireless headset. I'm really not 100% happy with the AT Pro.
The ring is big, but really not that heavy. I think the price on the website is way too much. The area where it would have a high concentration of gold; at the top, is hollowed out so the retail price of 4655.00 is rather steep. Plus i think it's ugly, but then i don't wear jewelry, so i think your paying for diamonds and bad taste. Also I went back to the spot to dig up some dirt but there were kids hanging out in the bleachers right next to my spot so i couldn't attempt to find that last diamond.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was actually thinking of getting a Makro Racer with a wireless headset. I'm really not 100% happy with the AT Pro.
The ring is big, but really not that heavy. I think the price on the website is way too much. The area where it would have a high concentration of gold; at the top, is hollowed out so the retail price of 4655.00 is rather steep. Plus i think it's ugly, but then i don't wear jewelry, so i think your paying for diamonds and bad taste. Also I went back to the spot to dig up some dirt but there were kids hanging out in the bleachers right next to my spot so i couldn't attempt to find that last diamond.

First off: Super nice find!

What is it you don't like about the AT Pro? You can get the Deteknix Wirefree headset for the AT Pro, I just got mine in the mail today.

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few weeks ago I actually found 2 rings on the same day....Not as impressive as yours though. 1 was gold and one was silver. No diamonds......Awesome find

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chimed in right at the pulltab, can slaw, brass key range---that be a honker

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet chunk of gold and diamonds, Awesome!!
Be nice if you could recover that missing diamond, Good Luck there.
Congrats!!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I voted banner. I couldn't help it. I'm a sucker for massive gold digs. Amazing!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you found my ring!!!LOL That's a bucket lister

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off: Super nice find!

What is it you don't like about the AT Pro? You can get the Deteknix Wirefree headset for the AT Pro, I just got mine in the mail today.

A big issue with the AT Pro for me that awful coily cord always getting in the way. It also seems to false a lot while waving it around in the air,but i think i may have fixed that by winding the coil cord with a little less revolutions, we'll see when i go back out tonight after work. Also,i wish it had a back light on it. I shouldn't besmirch the Pro, it has served me well, and I love the waterproofyness of it. I hadn't seen that headset before so it just may change my mind about this Garrett. I will most likely not buy the Makro at least until next spring . However, I am attracted to all those bells and whistles, and the Depth of the Makro is pretty amazing too..

Last edited:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A big issue with the AT Pro for me that awful coily chord always getting in the way. It also seems to false a lot while waving it around in the air,but i think i may have fixed that by winding the coil cord with a little less revolutions, we'll see when i go back out tonight after work. Also,i wish it had a back light on it. I shouldn't besmirch the Pro, it has served me well, and I love the waterproofyness of it. I hadn't seen that headset before so it just may change my mind about this Garrett. I will most likely not buy the Makro at least until next spring . However, I am attracted to all those bells and whistles, and the Depth of the Makro is pretty amazing too..

I got to test mine, if you are interested in a day one review I have written an article on my blog. As you say the coil can be quite annoying at times so this is a great addon. I think the falsing you get is most likely due to a too loose coil wire, I've had that in water in the beginning but after I taped the first few inches to the stock it never happened again. The coil will pick up its own wire otherwise. I'm pretty happy with mine, but of course do what you like :) If I couldn't get the AT I would probably try the Nokta Fors Relic, that thing is pretty awesome as far as I can tell from videos. The Fishers are pretty good as well, a colleague has the F70 or F75, I forgot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read that to mean "Wow! You have to return (to the site of the find to recover the other diamond)".

That's how i read it too, and I did go back yesterday but a pair of lovebirds were sitting in the bleachers right near the spot. I decided to give them their space. As for the ring it is big, but under the area where the diamonds are there is a bunch of space. I'll try to take a picture of it when i get home. It would have been so much heavier if that space was filled with gold, but someone here told me that diamonds have to breathe so that would be the reason for space.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to test mine, if you are interested in a day one review I have written an article on my blog. As you say the coil can be quite annoying at times so this is a great addon. I think the falsing you get is most likely due to a too loose coil wire, I've had that in water in the beginning but after I taped the first few inches to the stock it never happened again. The coil will pick up its own wire otherwise. I'm pretty happy with mine, but of course do what you like :) If I couldn't get the AT I would probably try the Nokta Fors Relic, that thing is pretty awesome as far as I can tell from videos.

I have the bottom part of the coil wire tie-wrapped to the rod. Not too tight though. The rest is a bit looser. I will try that out later today. I use the 5x8 coil most of the time and the standard coil for deeper detecting. I'm not sure if there's a big difference there. That headset would be a huge improvement to the setup. Did you go for the Garrett proprietary plug version or the large phono jack and get the Garrett adapter? I think that's the route i'd take so that I can use it with other detectors.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have the bottom part of the coil wire tie-wrapped to the rod. Not too tight though. The rest is a bit looser. I will try that out later today. I use the 5x8 coil most of the time and the standard coil for deeper detecting. I'm not sure if there's a big difference there. That headset would be a huge improvement to the setup. Did you go for the Garrett proprietary plug version or the large phono jack and get the Garrett adapter? I think that's the route i'd take so that I can use it with other detectors.

I find the biggest difference between the coils is how they behave on my beach that is trashed like crazy, years and years of partying there. The stock coil I can only use in the wet sand, the smaller one does much better in the dry sand seperating targets.

I have pretty much settled on the AT Pro so I went with the propietary one, but if I were you I'd go with the universal one and adapter as well, even though I can't really bring myself to pay 40€ for a piece of cable.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find the biggest difference between the coils is how they behave on my beach that is trashed like crazy, years and years of partying there. The stock coil I can only use in the wet sand, the smaller one does much better in the dry sand seperating targets.

I have pretty much settled on the AT Pro so I went with the proprietary one, but if I were you I'd go with the universal one and adapter as well, even though I can't really bring myself to pay 40€ for a piece of cable.

I know i feel the same way about that cable, how do i justify paying 36 dollars for it? Thanks for your input and I liked your review on your blog. I liked your idea about the powerbank, which is funny cause I just ordered a powerbank this morning before reading any of these posts.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That is one large gold ring with a nice diamond collection, Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Sure looks like the AT Pro is paid in full! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread