Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting truck blew its transmission a few months back and I was unable to use it. Good news is I finally managed to get it fixed and now I'm back on the road hunting the streets for treasure.

Tonight I scored this really cool old bike - a 3-speed Rudge, someone threw it in the trash. It is very old and has a unique breaking system that uses rods instead of cables. Never seen anything like it. My research shows it was made in England likely in the 1930's-1940's. The 'Rudge Whitworth Cycles' company, as it was called, competed with the Raleigh Bicycle company from 1894 until Raleigh bought out Rudge in 1943. In 1938 long distance cyclist Billie Fleming used a three-speed Rudge to set the world record for the longest distance ever covered by a bicycle in a year - 29,603.7 miles - a record that still stands to this day.

Overall the bike is in great condition, I was going to ride it but when I went to put air in the tires I realized I couldn't because the bike's valves are incompatible with my air pump. Will have to find an adapter or something. Besides that it can use some paint, but I think I'll leave it just the way it is for now.

20160825_170136.jpg 20160825_170143.jpg
Notice the break lines are made of solid metal rods, not cables, very cool.
20160825_170207.jpg 20160825_170215.jpg

Upvote 6

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Head Badge is looking good.

Paint, not really right? You will kill the value. I would tear it all down and provide some very over due cleaning and servicing but not paint it. Sure if you have a steady hand then with a very fine brush trace detail that head badge but nothing more than that.

Cool find man, not every day someone finds a few hundred bucks laying around.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I would also leave the bike as is, except for servicing it. Original condition is everything when it comes to value.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very nice bike recovery! IMHO, do not repaint the bike. A good cleaning, oil where necessary and enjoy the beauty of the find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread