My heart is broken!!

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a buddy found a new permission today. Homeowners left shortly after our arrival but let us keep hunting anyways. My second target was awesome. I dug some kind of drop pin fully intact. On top it said souvenir. Below that it had a picture of a native american and said deadwood s.d. paha sapa festival 1908. One of my coolest finds to date. Anyways, homeowner came home fir a quick stop and asked if we had found anything. I was excited to show him the pin. Long story short, he kept it. I could see the dollar signs rolling in his eyes. I dont even know if its worth much but I know its more valuable to me than to him. I had already pictured it in my shadow box snuggled in between other such finds. Guess I shoulda kept my mouth shut! Took home 3 wheats and a 1907 v nic. Sorry, not in the mood to post pics

Upvote 6

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you have an agreement worked out with the homeowner? They are essential in situations like this.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He might have keeped that piece on me , but he would never know if i found anything else. that makes me mad and i dont even know you. sorry buddy.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had an entire site taken from me for that reason, so the best rule of thumb is if you want to keep something you've found, stay mum about it. I learned my lesson BIG TIME on that one...oh but the best revenge Karma came back when I was just across the fence.:)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough break we all lean from them. You will find something better youll see let it go!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
rainorshine

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's like everybody's fishing story. The one that got away.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always try to have an understanding up front about the finds. After all they do belong to the land owner.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have showed him just a couple of wheats and been just as excited about them. He would then think your nuts and leave you be to have it all.......sorry to hear of that one that got away.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is a hard one. He invited you on his land, but he would never have found it or used a detector. I guess my feeling is if you absolutely know it was there before he bought the house, I would keep mum about unique stuff like that. We all live and learn.

I learned a very long time ago never to show my finds when I get out of the water. I even had the police called on me once.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there, and it sucks.
The worst for me is a neighbor got froggy with me at a permission, so After putting her in her place, I showed my ass by bragging about a silver ring I found. An hour later, she comes out, and coerces me to give her the ring, because it belonged to the previous-previous owner of the house, she was still friends with. I was reluctant, but she dangled a carrot to me, promising two OLD yards to hunt, as a trade. As soon as the ring hit her hand, she backed out, left me hanging. I was pissed.

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hurt will go away and more treasure will be found. A while back I handed over to a property owner 3 civil war era infantry buttons (with gilt) and a gold ring. They are in his collection and not mine. Really bothered me at the time because I had never dug anything like that. But now I'm ok with it and he will let me go back any time I want. But I might forget to tell him if I find another button...

strick

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happens more often than most of us realize. I do make my permission deals with owners by stating I will share the finds. Sometimes the good items are kept,and that is o.k. ,because another hunt is on the horizon.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give finds to the owners all the time. Perspective changes everything, and the more you dig and your collection starts to take over your house, the less the items themselves and the more the memories matter.

I'm sorry you feel badly about this find, but the good news is that you'll be able to return there and dig anytime you like.

-Buck

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, and it sucks.
The worst for me is a neighbor got froggy with me at a permission, so After putting her in her place, I showed my ass by bragging about a silver ring I found. An hour later, she comes out, and coerces me to give her the ring, because it belonged to the previous-previous owner of the house, she was still friends with. I was reluctant, but she dangled a carrot to me, promising two OLD yards to hunt, as a trade. As soon as the ring hit her hand, she backed out, left me hanging. I was pissed.

Reminds me of something I told another person in a similar situation. Rather than give them the show of how well their ploy had worked on me. I told them, "I don't do revenge. BUT...I have a good friend who is an expert! And, let me tell you! When HE starts, I would NOT want to be standing in the way!" ;)

Stay strong!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really sad news.
I have an 1811 Large Cent w/ a cracked die, in excellent condition. It is my best and oldest LC.
It is from an old farmhouse permission. The owner was there when I dug a Mercury Dime in front of her.
She was surprised but ask for it. She wasn't there when I dug the LC. She didn't ask about any other finds and I didn't volunteer any information. I don't feel guilty and I still have my 1811 LC.
We live and learn.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched a permission many many years ago and found my first 1800s coin, an IHC. I was so happy that I crossed the barrier, and when I showed the owner all my finds, he snagged that penny and nothing else. I wanted to go back as it pained me for the next few weeks, and give him a much shinier store bought Indian of the same date in exchange for the dirty dug one. I never did, but I did realize that my other finds for that day were more important than the penny anyways. Looking back, if I would have stuck the Indian in my pocket, he may have taken one of the other artifacts that today are still prized by me. In the end, remember it is a permission and without it neither of you get anything. Try to see the good in what you did keep.

OP
OP
rainorshine

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna try to get a pic of the item so I can show it to you all. I might get it developed and tuck it somewhere in my collection

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna try to get a pic of the item so I can show it to you all. I might get it developed and tuck it somewhere in my collection

Well, if you go back and ask to take a pic, it would give you a chance to express how much it means to you. OR....to offer buying it back. After all, you saw dollar signs in their eyes.

I think I'd just do the lesson learned route though. One find is not worth all that! :)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That totally blows, I feel your pain, as I know it's very hard NOT to want to show your newly found prize off...like Scuba sez, we are finding things that nobody else would have found otherwise...I keep that thought in mind when I'm asked by Mr./Mrs. property owner what I've found, I'll usually show them the clad, a wheatie, etc...now I DO tell them that if I find anything significant to the property, or former owners, I'll clean it up and present it to them, for example, I once dug a silver suspender buckle with "M" monogrammed on it...and as her family was "Miller"...she was excited, almost to tears...when I handed it to her all shiny and clean...now I have full permission to the 210 acres there. Karma, my friend, will prevail, as I PROMISE you that you will find something equal to or better than your pin, very soon! Great post, thx...ddf

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had an entire site taken from me for that reason, so the best rule of thumb is if you want to keep something you've found, stay mum about it. I learned my lesson BIG TIME on that one...oh but the best revenge Karma came back when I was just across the fence.:)

I'd love to hear the details, sounds like an interesting story. How did they end up with all the finds? And what did you find across the fence? Not to hijack rainorshine's post, because it sounds like your story will tie in nicely to the topic at hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread