Anchor found West Africa

P33tef

Aug 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all
Here is an anchor I found off São Tomé West Africa while on an expedition. Lots of growth all cleaned off and chipped and painted and sitting in my parents garden. Saved from the ocean, not sure about age or value but it's a nice conversation piece. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 10

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to T-Net!. That is a nice old anchor. Probably from the 1800's. Do you dive with a detector or was it visible in the coral? I have been searching for one here for a long time. Either your style or one with a huge oak cross beam. They are out there. But most have been found. The closest I have come to one is finding the flukes. The shank was broken off, which stunk!

I know that took a long time to clean and paint to display. This probably should have been posted under the heading My Best Finds which is here.

My Best Finds!

You probably won't find another one. Congrats!!

OP
OP
P

P33tef

Aug 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net!. That is a nice old anchor. Probably from the 1800's. Do you dive with a detector or was it visible in the coral? I have been searching for one here for a long time. Either your style or one with a huge oak cross beam. They are out there. But most have been found. The closest I have come to one is finding the flukes. The shank was broken off, which stunk!

I know that took a long time to clean and paint to display. This probably should have been posted under the heading My Best Finds which is here.

My Best Finds!

You probably won't find another one. Congrats!!

Thanks, I was inspecting the hull of my ship while we were at anchor and spotted it laying there in the sand, lucky find

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
EddiestoneAdmiraltyAnchors.jpg

They are out there if you look!

These 2 in Western Australia North West.

The big one = over 6 feet tall!

AdmiraltyanchorEddiestone.jpg

When the tide comes in (~7 meters x 2 times per day) the ball goes underwater and a local turtle try's to 'mate' with the ball every day! :tongue3:

Some size perspective with the 14 ft boat!

TideReceeding1.jpg

Probably belonged to this vessel.

Beagel1Inscription.jpg

Beagle2.jpg

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EddiestoneAdmiraltyAnchors.jpg

They are out there if you look!

These 2 in Western Australia North West.

The big one = over 6 feet tall!

AdmiraltyanchorEddiestone.jpg

When the tide comes in (~7 meters x 2 times per day) the ball goes underwater and a local turtle try's to 'mate' with the ball every day! :tongue3:

Some size perspective with the 14 ft boat!

TideReceeding1.jpg

Probably belonged to this vessel.

Beagel1Inscription.jpg

Beagle2.jpg

That's interesting. The Beagle of Darwinian fame. Was reading the Wiki and noticed the Pasco whose name is etched in there is mentioned as one of the mates. Neat Stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Beagle#Third_voyage_.281837.E2.80.931843.29

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably a mid-19th C. anchor or newer. Great find.

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
There's a fascinating account of the voyage of the HMS Beagle when those inscriptions were made online.

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...e&q=Wickham beagle 1840 Depuch Island&f=false

The efforts to locate and re-provision the ship with water at DePuch Island and the discovery of water by ships surgeon Bynoe make great reading.

This is the visit in 1840 by Beagle under the command of Wickham, when the 1840 inscriptions including the one by Pascoe at anchor bay were made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread