Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There used to be a toboggan run on a hill behind a town in my area, with a wooden chute for the sleds and everything. It was torn down and quickly began to overgrow back in the 70's. Now it is woods and prickers and few clues remain that it was once a winter fun land...

Last evening I went up there to poke around with my detector and was stoked to pull this beautiful class ring out. It's in excellent condition, which is a miracle, since the area where I found it was littered with bonfire debris, old beer cans and bottle tops. I'm surprised it escaped being melted under some hot bonfire.

Anyway, I got home and had no trouble at all determining whose ring it was back in 1973, (online yearbooks) and I sent him an email within 45 minutes of getting the ring home.

Now I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'm hopeful he'll reply soon. This ring will bring back memories for him, I'm sure, as he was the kind of guy who was involved in everything in high school according to his yearbook description. And the ring must have been lost soon after he bought it, because it's in really good, barely scratched condition.

I will definitely update here if the man contacts me back, but in any case I wanted to show you all this beautiful ring.
Best of luck to all,
Cynthia
IMG_20160826_174737_kindlephoto-592315819.jpg IMG_20160826_174748_kindlephoto-592295451.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160826_174832_kindlephoto-592270251.jpg
    IMG_20160826_174832_kindlephoto-592270251.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20160826_174725_kindlephoto-592340013.jpg
    IMG_20160826_174725_kindlephoto-592340013.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 36
OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice ring and congrats on the find. Hope the owner appreciates your effort. One thing you might not be aware of. He could have been sent to Nam.

Wow, Scuba, no, that never occurred to me.. This will mean all the more to him if he did go to Vietnam, I imagine, since from his yearbook entry he had a great time in high school, in fact he was his class president and played several sports. I know this ring will be a great memento of his carefree high school days, all the more if he fought in Vietnam after high school. Thank you for mentioning that possibility Scuba, I would have never thought he might be a veteran...

I hope he gets back to me on Monday, as I sent the email to his company and I imagine he won't check his work emails until Monday.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first class ring, I'm currently working a permission at an old high school built in 1912, now in private hands. I live about 30-40 minutes from Northfield. We used to scrimmage Pioneer in soccer in the '80's.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, Scuba, no, that never occurred to me.. This will mean all the more to him if he did go to Vietnam, I imagine, since from his yearbook entry he had a great time in high school, in fact he was his class president and played several sports. I know this ring will be a great memento of his carefree high school days, all the more if he fought in Vietnam after high school. Thank you for mentioning that possibility Scuba, I would have never thought he might be a veteran...

I hope he gets back to me on Monday, as I sent the email to his company and I imagine he won't check his work emails until Monday.

Well, being a veteran is ONE possibility. Being a casualty is another. But I see you already know he is alive? I hope so!

OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first class ring, I'm currently working a permission at an old high school built in 1912, now in private hands. I live about 30-40 minutes from Northfield. We used to scrimmage Pioneer in soccer in the '80's.

It's a small world isn't it? I hope I find your ring some day, who knows? I'm just hoping someday someone will send me an email saying they've found my high school class ring. I lost it within a year of graduation way back when, lol....

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find!! Can't wait to hear how the return goes, sounds like it's gonna be a good one.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hi McKinney, my machine doesn't have vdi on it, but it was a strong repeating signal so I dug, I remember thinking it might just be another can, but I was happily surprised. The ring is marked as 10 k gold, so that's nice...

Reason I asked is because a stranger near a park I hunt a lot stopped to talk and he lost a class ring playing football in a field across from the park. That was in 1981. It sounded like the same basic format and size of yours. His story was that his finger took a hit and it flew off. He and his buddies supposedly raked through the area with their hands through the grass but gave up believing it likely fell into one of the cracks the Texas dirt has during dry spells since they couldn't find it themselves.

IMO, it's likely still there but just pressed down into dirt from being stepped upon. It's not a public field so I highly doubt others would have lucked across it. Having knowledge of a near precise location when it flew off has me anxious to "save the day" after 35 years. If it reads like my ring from 1970, all I need to do is look for VDIs surrounding 35 on my Whites and tune the other high tones off.

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save and I would call the local press to help they are wanting these kinds of story's. We can use the good PR. Congrats!:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread