Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to an old park I have been hunting for 3 years now, as well as everyone else over the years. Got a sweet 10-43 @ 6".
This park has been pounded. But I guess the new E-trac has sniffed out one the others missed.

sil2.jpg sil1.jpg

Upvote 14
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do. It is a whole different cat from the Exterra 705 I had. The sounds are similar but 2 completely different machines. The Etrac sure goes a lot deeper with steady ID.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. My uncle just sent me a CTX-3030. I can't wait to see what I find with it because I've never owned any Minelab detectors before so I know it's gonna be a learning process but it should also be a lot better than the detectors I was used to.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure you will love it. Might be a little overwhelming at first as the E-trac was for me. But the more I swing it, the more it makes sense.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the Mercury find! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that silver. :occasion14: Have you slowed down your swing since you started to swing the E-Trac? :dontknow: I suspect that may be why you pulled the 6" silver. You may have thought you had a false signal and skipped it using the F5. I am not versed in the Minelab 705 you had, but I believe you had an 8" concentric on it, which means you may have not overlapped your coil sweeps enough to get max depth at on that coin. I am glad you are pleased with the new machine. The E Trac is on my top 5 list of Detectors. (the poor man's CTX)

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I had the 705 with the 18.75 kHz football coil. The gold package. Both machines demand that you swing slower than the Fishers. The sounds a Minelab makes give a lot more info especially in multi tone mode. You can tell how deep, if there is iron close to the target, if it is odd shaped, etc. The target ID gets less accurate on deep targets, but the sounds stay pretty true from what I have seen so far.

Congrats on that silver. :occasion14: Have you slowed down your swing since you started to swing the E-Trac? :dontknow: I suspect that may be why you pulled the 6" silver. You may have thought you had a false signal and skipped it using the F5. I am not versed in the Minelab 705 you had, but I believe you had an 8" concentric on it, which means you may have not overlapped your coil sweeps enough to get max depth at on that coin. I am glad you are pleased with the new machine. The E Trac is on my top 5 list of Detectors. (the poor man's CTX)

XP-Man

Jul 28, 2014
Lowell, Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pay attention to the first number I pulled out deep barbers with iron in hole at 1-46

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The sounds a Minelab makes give a lot more info especially in multi tone mode. You can tell how deep, if there is iron close to the target, if it is odd shaped, etc.

This is one of the unspoken virtues of the Etrac/CTX. Once your ear is tuned in, you can discern the shape of the object - that means you've got to swing, and then swing again perpendicular to the initial swing. A solid signal with confusing FE/CO numbers gets dug. Some of the dangedest things pop out of the ground on that!

And that's why we love this hobby! It's not just about coins & jewelry. It's about the other hidden treasures too.

Speaking of that, I'm heading out to do some dirt digging this morning!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread