One hour park hunt bags a gold

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to the same local park I've been working over when I have few hours to hunt. We had a heavy thunder storm roll through with high winds and rain around 5-5:30 pm that lasted 30 minutes or so. As I watched the storm build I felt the call - come, Deft Tones, come hunt in the rain!

Family duties kept me tied up until 7 pm. By that time the storm had broke and some blue sky started to peek through the clouds. I got the green light from the wife and took off.

The day before I hunted this same park for a few hours. While working my usual areas to death a man had approached and asked if ever I were to hunt by the big tree over across the park, his son lost a dog-tag in the grass and if I found it could I return it. I decided to cherry pick that area with the V3i 12x15 sef combination tonight and perhaps I'd hit on the kid's dog tag. 1 hour until dusk - why not?

Twenty minutes in and from 2 1/2" a nice solid low tone VDI's a solid 17 with a picture perfect alignment of the frequency bars showing on the spectragraph. I'm digging anyway, but one polar plot sweep before recovery. What I saw was 22khz dominate with a nice looong straight line, and a 7.5 frequency half the length of the 22. No 2.5khz line on the plot. That gets me excited! 1-2 more VDI at that depth and I'd be calling nickel. Rings or certain anodized square tabs hit with that size and signature. Occasionally a wad of foil, but spectragraph resolution can sort that out most times. Yet tonight out pops the ring . Marked 10k size 9 1/2 with 3 small diamond stones.

20160828_211125.jpg

20160828_211508.jpg
Finally got on the board for August - ooh rah!

I thought I was going to get skunked this month as it's been a silver, plated, and costume few weeks since I last stood at the top podium. Plus I've been jacking around relic hunting on and off trying new things. Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

This is the 3rd gold ring, and 4th gold item I've pulled from this one park this year alone.

Over half of the trash came after finding the ring. Something happens, I lose discipline and start digging everything that beeps and sizes about right for small jewelry and chains. It's that siren call of the Gold!

No, I didn't find the dog-tag. I got side tracked. Perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks for peeking.

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You can get back for the dog tag and get more gold rings at the sane time, Deft Tones. That's what you really wanted to do anyway, isn't it. ;)

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking ring.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your 10K gold ring and other finds - wish you luck on finding the man son's dog tag - anyway thank you for posting pictures if your finds and story.

Texas ED

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread