NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a quick afternoon hunt today to one of the lots where the weather took out an abandoned house a while back, and I am glad I did! After digging the usual junk, and three lousy mardi gras dubloons (I hate these things) I hit the Washington quarter, a little more junk and out popped the SLQ, I almost didn't dig that hole because it was a pretty bouncy signal, turns out there was a connector for an outboard engine gas tank right next to it..... So, I decided to go look for a couple other sketchy signals that I had assumed were just more dubloons or bits of siding..... Third hole going back over my tracks I got a great hit, and out popped this beautiful Morgan! I was sure it would be a dubloon but for once luck was on my side. Also dug a stripper clip from a Springfield rifle right before I left....

8311.jpg the junk
8312.jpg the clip
8313.jpg 8314.jpg 8315.jpg 8316.jpg and the good stuff.... There's some paint on the Morgan, but it should be easy to remove, First one of these in a while and it's really nice...

Thanks for looking and HH to all!

Last edited:
Upvote 24

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! A day without silver is a day without sunshine. :icon_thumright:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice dollar. I swear to goodness I feel like I'll never going find a silver dollar!

Anyway, that's a great find man!

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice dollar. I swear to goodness I feel like I'll never going find a silver dollar!

Anyway, that's a great find man!

I'll bet it's been two years since the last one for me, they're out there, and yours is somewhere waiting for you, it'll turn up

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like one of the older standing liberty quarters they only made in 1916 and 1917 the 1916 is valuable cause they made very few and people need them to finish their collection I have a 1917 I cant remember but I think the stars on the bottom means the 16 or 17 something to look into. Anyway great job I bet theres more there. Thanks for sharing your finds

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
That looks like one of the older standing liberty quarters they only made in 1916 and 1917 the 1916 is valuable cause they made very few and people need them to finish their collection I have a 1917 I cant remember but I think the stars on the bottom means the 16 or 17 something to look into. Anyway great job I bet theres more there. Thanks for sharing your finds

great finds! A Morgan is still on my wish list. Regarding the SLQ, those three stars on the reverse mean it cannot be a 1916. If those three stars weren't there, it would mean it could be a 1916 or a 1917. Still great finds!

You going to try a soak in acetone for the paint?

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! A Morgan is still on my wish list. Regarding the SLQ, those three stars on the reverse mean it cannot be a 1916. If those three stars weren't there, it would mean it could be a 1916 or a 1917. Still great finds!

You going to try a soak in acetone for the paint?

Yeah, tried some goof off and it didn't do much, I'll break out the acetone in a bit

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nola, you scored HUGE ! Love that Morgan, man...it is in excellent condition! Congrats on a very successful dig, those don't happen very often...ddf

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Great finds. I am so jealous of the Morgan. Been digging 40 years and still don't have a silver dollar of any type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your excellent silver finds. Great job on the backtrack!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the killer hunt... That Morgan makes my chest hurt, put it away please...

Wow.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds Man!

Never Dug a MG Doubloon but hear bad things about them in the NO LA Area. I Suppose it would be cool to dig one here .
Just to have one. (never been to Mardi Gra) can not even spell it,???

I guess my First Silver Dollar Will come Unexpectedly, digging a can or big brass.
Nice Quarters as well.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions