Dandy Buttons? Musket Balls... Spoons... Massachusetts

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I mentioned yesterday I would post some photos of the buttons we've found so far on the 1683 property, so here goes. Several have subtle remainders of gold gilt. There is one button I'm very curious about--it has what looks like wheat on the sides, and some writing on it. I'm wondering if it is a military uniform button--kind of poor condition. Any thoughts? Also, we've found voluminous musket balls of all shapes and sizes. Are there any musket ball fans out there? Would love to learn more about any of these items. And we also took a shot of our spoon collection. The whole spoon on the left is a Civil War mess kit spoon. Thanks for viewing! ~Lisa & John

Attachments

• Button1.JPG
    Button1.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Button9.JPG
    Button9.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Button2.JPG
    Button2.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Button3.JPG
    Button3.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 130
  • Button4.JPG
    Button4.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Button - military - maybe.JPG
    Button - military - maybe.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Button5.JPG
    Button5.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Button6.JPG
    Button6.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Buttons - fronts.JPG
    Buttons - fronts.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Buttons - Group.JPG
    Buttons - Group.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Button7.JPG
    Button7.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Musket Balls.JPG
    Musket Balls.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Spoons - group.JPG
    Spoons - group.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 17

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, thanks for the great Book recommendation. That's one we'll need to get, for sure. We are thoroughly enjoying our search. Many members have mentioned how lucky we are to be the first diggers on a 1683 property, and it was just a fluke. My brother bought the property a couple of months ago for a song (at least, by Massachusetts standards) with the intention of a complete renovation because the property needs a lot of work. Naturally, The renovation work is slow going because he is enjoying the metal detecting way too much! Thanks for your advice and comments. -Lisa & John

Y'all or Yous Guy's & Gal are living my Dream or Your Brother is ...Anyway LOL,"Redoing an old home on Historic Land"
I Know the Work is Hard especially with Winter coming Up Fast.

Hope they don't make an Episode of "A Haunting in MASS" when Y'all are all done. LOL

Can't wait to see the stuff U Guy's dug yesterday.
As for the GW Button , it took me a minute to figure that acronym out being in N,GA .
Sorry to hear bout the broke phone also.

The land & Relics was waiting for Y'all to Come. .Is the way I like to think.
Davers

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic RELIC hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there,

I've attached close-ups of the silver coin on the left in the earlier group photo on this thread. The silver looking item on the right of that photo is a button, as it has a shank. However, the silver coin on the left has no shank--smooth on both sides except for a strange, faint V mark. Interestingly, this piece is the EXACT size as a 1652 New England Threepence. 11/16". Probably a coincidence. There is what appears to be a marking, but I can't make out what it is. Anyway, several members asked for close ups, so...here they are! And the quality of the close-ups, unfortunately, aren't very good. Oh, and we found a few items today--an old coin that we would love your help identifying. I'll put the items under a new post.

Hope you all have a great evening.

Lisa & John

That is a very old silver coin. I really don't think it is a button. Since you are on a 17th century site in Massachusetts, please make sure that your brother is familiar with old coins and prepared to identify it from the merest clues.

You are in the running for a Massachusetts hammered silver coin from the 1600's. You will want to be really sure with that one.

I'm not trying to be pushy, I am very excited about your hunts and hunting ground.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Unknown silver coin.jpg
    Unknown silver coin.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Unknown Silver Coin2.jpg
    Unknown Silver Coin2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 68

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those pics were pretty blurry bud. Hard to make anything out. If you have an iPhone it should look something like this ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472958972.237202.jpg try backing away a couple inches and using about 50% zoom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions