Dandy Buttons? Musket Balls... Spoons... Massachusetts

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I mentioned yesterday I would post some photos of the buttons we've found so far on the 1683 property, so here goes. Several have subtle remainders of gold gilt. There is one button I'm very curious about--it has what looks like wheat on the sides, and some writing on it. I'm wondering if it is a military uniform button--kind of poor condition. Any thoughts? Also, we've found voluminous musket balls of all shapes and sizes. Are there any musket ball fans out there? Would love to learn more about any of these items. And we also took a shot of our spoon collection. The whole spoon on the left is a Civil War mess kit spoon. Thanks for viewing! ~Lisa & John

Attachments

• Button1.JPG
    Button1.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Button9.JPG
    Button9.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Button2.JPG
    Button2.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Button3.JPG
    Button3.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 131
  • Button4.JPG
    Button4.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Button - military - maybe.JPG
    Button - military - maybe.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Button5.JPG
    Button5.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Button6.JPG
    Button6.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Buttons - fronts.JPG
    Buttons - fronts.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Buttons - Group.JPG
    Buttons - Group.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Button7.JPG
    Button7.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Musket Balls.JPG
    Musket Balls.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Spoons - group.JPG
    Spoons - group.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 17

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTJ2...that site is coughing up ALL kinds of great stuff! Keep on digging, we'll keep looking! Ddf

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. VMI,

Don't laugh, but I don't know what a "GW" is. I assume it is a George Washington button? I Googled it, and several different kinds of buttons came up. Could you tell me what we should be looking for (what you are referring to)? Thanks, from -- the Newbies...hehehe. Lisa & John

That's an early site for sure and with targets like that your certainly the first to dig it. Large dandy buttons are late 18th century-love digging those monsters... maybe a GW hiding in there

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a certified honey hole---get ready for some major Colonial finds

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a very worn and paper thin silver coin in the group photograph of the buttons. Has that been identified?

Can you see any evidence of what looks like a tree or a bush in the center?

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, nope, we haven't ID'd any buttons except three military ones. I will ask my brother to inspect that silver one with his loupe tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks for looking! -Lisa

QUOTE=DetectingGodlikeOnOlympus;5107312]I see a very worn and paper thin silver coin in the group photograph of the buttons. Has that been identified?

Can you see any evidence of what looks like a tree or a bush in the center?[/QUOTE]

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nope, we haven't ID'd any buttons except three military ones. I will ask my brother to inspect that silver one with his loupe tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks for looking! -Lisa

QUOTE=DetectingGodlikeOnOlympus;5107312]I see a very worn and paper thin silver coin in the group photograph of the buttons. Has that been identified?

Can you see any evidence of what looks like a tree or a bush in the center?
[/QUOTE]

That is a very old silver coin. I really don't think it is a button. Since you are on a 17th century site in Massachusetts, please make sure that your brother is familiar with old coins and prepared to identify it from the merest clues.

You are in the running for a Massachusetts hammered silver coin from the 1600's. You will want to be really sure with that one.

I'm not trying to be pushy, I am very excited about your hunts and hunting ground.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're not being pushy at all. We really appreciate the advice, and we are here to learn as well as to share. We will be detecting this weekend and will post anything new. I will tell him your thoughts about that silver button actually being a coin. Will let you know if we learn anything further. Thanks so much! Lisa

That is a very old silver coin. I really don't think it is a button. Since you are on a 17th century site in Massachusetts, please make sure that your brother is familiar with old coins and prepared to identify it from the merest clues.

You are in the running for a Massachusetts hammered silver coin from the 1600's. You will want to be really sure with that one.

I'm not trying to be pushy, I am very excited about your hunts and hunting ground.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing's notable on this one concerning the buttons. That silver button may be a coin, but looks to be of the milled variety if it is one, not an early hammered silver...

Listen, just remember to keep everything and post your finds. You're admittedly not versed in ID and that's totally cool. We're all here to learn, but just be sure to show everything you find and let knowledgable people have a look. What may be junk could be valuable relics. Once I found a bunch of what seemed like junk when I just started -they turned out to be cannon fuses.

You just never know

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice collection! many beeps there :metaldetector:

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
I think it is some type of silver coin also,seen a few like it over the years post a photo of just the coin someone might id it.could be a good find

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PLEASE post pics of that silver, magnified and both sides!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I mentioned yesterday I would post some photos of the buttons we've found so far on the 1683 property, so here goes. Several have subtle remainders of gold gilt. There is one button I'm very curious about--it has what looks like wheat on the sides, and some writing on it. I'm wondering if it is a military uniform button--kind of poor condition. Any thoughts? Also, we've found voluminous musket balls of all shapes and sizes. Are there any musket ball fans out there? Would love to learn more about any of these items. And we also took a shot of our spoon collection. The whole spoon on the left is a Civil War mess kit spoon. Thanks for viewing! ~Lisa & John

Loads of Super Cool ,OLD Finds .(I have dug only 4 or 5 ) flat buttons over the years 2 were broken.
Even the Weathered one you dug are cool to me.
Love the old Spoons also & as for Musket / Round Balls ,I love to dig them ,tho yours pre-date mine.

I just picked up a book at Our last Civil War Show in Marietta GA, it's all about Musket & Round Balls .

"Musket Ball And Small Shot Identification"..A Guide. by Daniel M. Sivilich....It's around 200 pages & just came out this Year.
I have always had a heck of a time Id'ing Small Round Balls & Putting a Date of use on them.

I have not read it yet, but glancing through it , I believe it can answer most of my Round ball Questions.

Lot's of folk Despise or get tired of digging them in the NE . But I take all I can Dig.
Good Stuff
Davers

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Davers, thanks for the great Book recommendation. That's one we'll need to get, for sure. We are thoroughly enjoying our search. Many members have mentioned how lucky we are to be the first diggers on a 1683 property, and it was just a fluke. My brother bought the property a couple of months ago for a song (at least, by Massachusetts standards) with the intention of a complete renovation because the property needs a lot of work. Naturally, The renovation work is slow going because he is enjoying the metal detecting way too much! Thanks for your advice and comments. -Lisa & John

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. VMI,

Don't laugh, but I don't know what a "GW" is. I assume it is a George Washington button? I Googled it, and several different kinds of buttons came up. Could you tell me what we should be looking for (what you are referring to)? Thanks, from -- the Newbies...hehehe. Lisa & John

The holy grail of dandy button's dug here in the US are George Washington inaugural buttons, they fetch a pretty penny... here's a great site http://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the most intricate patterns I've ever seen on flat buttons. Really nice finds. Congrats!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. So John's iPhone broke. No close-ups of the silver button/coin(??) till tomorrow. However, he managed to find a few new things today before his phone broke, so I'll put them in a new post. Best find was a 1781 Spanish Real. Take care, Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread