Gold x 3, Silver x 2, Trash Well Lets say the Trash Won!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took the Tiger Shark to the old beach again today. With all the nails in there I decided to concentrate on any hits no matter if broken. Well the first good hit was an iffy signal that surprised me a lot. It was a small gold ring with a black stone. So I wave it in front of my coil and turn my discrimination down to get a good signal. Am I glad I did. I hunted my previously cleaned of weeds area and didn't go into the muck or weeds. I got rewarded with 2,10K rings and a 18K ring. They are quite small, total weight is 4.54 grams. I need to spend about a week in that area and sniff out some more smaller gold. The signet is 10K and the wedding ring 18K white gold at a whopping 2 grams.

A 1927 buffalo, two war nickles 42P, 43P and and a 46 Jefferson. More nails and can tops BUT, I have had the discrimination too high on the Shark. I am going to have to hit the whole area again to sniff out more smaller gold. Even with the shank broken on that small signet it gave me a good signal. I am excited to try again tomorrow.

I only made one dive because the dive shop closed at 4PM and I needed tanks filled for the weekend. My compressor still isn't fixed yet. GRRR

Last edited:
Upvote 15

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What level discrimination do you usually hunt with? I leave mine on the Tiger Shark between 2 and 3. And you have to listen for the short squawks it makes. Sometimes those are just tiny bits of junk but sometimes it means a good target that is either small or buried deep. It's a lot of digging but if you do it you will pick up some gold you might have left behind.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What level discrimination do you usually hunt with? I leave mine on the Tiger Shark between 2 and 3. And you have to listen for the short squawks it makes. Sometimes those are just tiny bits of junk but sometimes it means a good target that is either small or buried deep. It's a lot of digging but if you do it you will pick up some gold you might have left behind.

I had it on 6 for some strange reason. It is now on 2. I have picked up some monster gold with it on 6 and some smaller ones. Just not as small as today's. I still have no idea why I had it that high. I am just glad I dug the iffy first gold ring and adjusted it to find the others. Now to carefully hit that whole area again slower. Since all the weeds are gone, I will probably put the 10" coil on it to hit more ground.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I love that old gold! Ya know it has a beauty to it that just makes me happy inside:icon_pirat:. I am a general contractor and work alot with wood and perhaps it is something like that. People will pay an arm and a leg for old grey weathered barn wood because man simply cannot reproduce what nature does over time. Thanks for posting and congrats on another awesome hunt! Love it!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on another stellar hunt Scuba :occasion14: Why change the coil, :dontknow: just grab the other CZ :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Congrats on another stellar hunt Scuba :occasion14: Why change the coil, :dontknow: just grab the other CZ :thumbsup:

The CZ's are not getting this small gold with all the nails present. In some lakes it does with no problems. The nulling out in this huge area drives me crazy with the CZ, At least the Tiger Shark picks up a few good signals in with all the iron. The CZ seems to do better in the muck and I can push it down easier. Both the CZ and the Tiger Shark have their place at this beach. I haven't air tested it yet but I don't think the CZ would have picked up that small gold signet with the broken shank either.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the gold. When your family came to visit did anyone use the tiger shark? Might be where the high discrimination came from.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trash won??? If you came away empty handed maybe... 3 pieces of gold beats out way more trash than that.

I will say that is a pretty ugly pile of trash though... :laughing7: I actually like the mucky-black patina a lot of your finds have. However, on trash it makes it look even trashier.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Congratulations on the gold. When your family came to visit did anyone use the tiger shark? Might be where the high discrimination came from.

It is possible. It is also possible it got moved in the truck.

Funny story from last year. My friend Kevin and I went to a brand new to us lake. The first dive I found 7 gold rings to his one. The second I found 5 gold rings to one for him. The third dive I found none to his 4. Upon getting out and taking my machine off I notice my sensitivity on my CZ-21 was down to in-between 1 and 2. HOW it got moved I have no clue at all. I tease him about it every once in a while claiming he did it so I didn't find any more gold. I still have no idea how I changed it.

I wish the manufactures would put a switch that clicks on the sensitivity and discrimination. That way they would stay put.

Tomorrow is another day. I will check everything and hit the place slowly. I need 16 more silver coins to make it to 300 silver coins this year. Hopefully I will.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The trash won??? If you came away empty handed maybe... 3 pieces of gold beats out way more trash than that.

I will say that is a pretty ugly pile of trash though... :laughing7: I actually like the mucky-black patina a lot of your finds have. However, on trash it makes it look even trashier.

Funny you talk about the trash. I went to sort it out and I spied something out of place. Circled in the picture. I knew what it was but had to break the crust off it to take a picture. So with some of the crust broken, I hope you can see what is left of a steel cent!

You are looking at my 4th underwater steel cent find. You can see the 9 and the 4 on the date and make out a little on the back. I know it is toasted but still a steel penny.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokin' great hunt Scuba! Too bad about the compressor, but..that is compressed air, don't you use a mixture of air and pure oxygen to breathe with...of another combination? Or do you use the compressed air for something else than for breathing? Breathing is nice, I like breathing...lol..thx Scuba, ddf

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Smokin' great hunt Scuba! Too bad about the compressor, but..that is compressed air, don't you use a mixture of air and pure oxygen to breathe with...of another combination? Or do you use the compressed air for something else than for breathing? Breathing is nice, I like breathing...lol..thx Scuba, ddf

It is just pure compressed air at 3000psi. The water and impurities are filtered out of it and that is all. No mixture at all. I don't get into nitrox or trimix, I am just a open water diver.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trash may have won, but came out on top with the gold scores! Congrats!

I've unknowingly turned down my detector sensitivity with my headphone cord. Wondered why it was so quiet after a while. :what:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN DONE STRUCK GOLD IN THE HOLE , NICE ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread