Massachusetts Find - Unidentified Coin on 1683 Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Did a bit of detecting today. Found a couple of small silver buttons (duplicates of ones we already have), a neat old padlock (not too exciting--iron), and this unidentified coin. Okay, so I know some folks say not to clean them, but...there were NO marks at all visible, no silhouette, nothing. So...I attempted some cleaning. Rubbed with a little oil and wood skewers. Here's what we got. Not much to go on, I know, but John and I think we see the number 26 at the bottom of the back. And what do you all think of that interesting punch mark? Thanks, Lisa & John

Attachments

• Unidentified Coin1.jpg
    Unidentified Coin1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Unidentified Coin2.jpg
    Unidentified Coin2.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Unidentified Coin3.jpg
    Unidentified Coin3.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Unidentified Coin4.jpg
    Unidentified Coin4.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Unidentified Coin5.jpg
    Unidentified Coin5.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there's def some lettering around the outside edge. I think we may be able to figure this out. I will look when I get home on my tv screen. We will figure it out

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have a Connecticut copper there. If I am seeing ONN. I will look into it later. Celebrating my 40th with some sushi tonight. Man I'm excited about your site. It's anazing

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Abe. Looks like it says Connec there on the right side of the coin. Nice find. :thumbsup:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doubt these will help much, but felt like dinking around... definitely an N ... maybe an S or 5. Other side nada.

c-1.png c-2.png c-3.png

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is obviously a very tough one to ID but I def would say a Connecticut copper which dates from 1785-1788. Very impressed with the variety of coins and buttons you have recovered so far. There's going to be some real stunners that come to light. Can't wait to see them

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Beep, pretty cool what you did with the photos. Thanks for taking the time and sharing them. It almost looks like you can see a face on there. I'm working on a bunch more coins that we can't identify any letters or shapes. Going to clean them lightly and see what I can uncover. Will be posting tomorrow. Thanks! Lisa & JohnQUOTE=The Beep Goes On;5110158]Doubt these will help much, but felt like dinking around... definitely an N ... maybe an S or 5. Other side nada.

View attachment 1355153 View attachment 1355154 View attachment 1355155 [/QUOTE]

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEEET WHATEVER IT IS ...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Beep, pretty cool what you did with the photos. Thanks for taking the time and sharing them. It almost looks like you can see a face on there. I'm working on a bunch more coins that we can't identify any letters or shapes. Going to clean them lightly and see what I can uncover. Will be posting tomorrow. Thanks! Lisa & John

Thanks Lisa & John!

You can download "GIMP 2.8.18" - really good freeware image manipulation program. The pics were just from fiddling with Filters -> Edge-Detection - GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program (takes a while to get used to)

I see what you mean about the potential "face"...

HH!
Beep

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So cool, Beep. Thanks!! L&J
QUOTE=The Beep Goes On;5110636]Thanks Lisa & John!

You can download "GIMP 2.8.18" - really good freeware image manipulation program. The pics were just from fiddling with Filters -> Edge-Detection - GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program (takes a while to get used to)

I see what you mean about the potential "face"...

HH!
Beep[/QUOTE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread