Coin Experts--Need a BIT of Help--Massachusetts Finds on 1683 Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello again, all. Okay, so we didn't find these "today," but we did find them a few weeks ago and discounted them because we couldn't quite identify them. After some minor cleaning, more details have come to light, and we have been able to narrow down the identities. If any of you fine experts can help to definitively identify...we would appreciate it. I hope the downloading order matches these comments, and if they don't, I apologize. We've posted three front and backs of a Large Cent on which the date is unreadable. Perhaps an expert would be able to date it? We've posted nine front and back photos of what we think is a 1787 Connecticut Horned Bust (size matches). We've also posted two photos of a front and back (very worn) of another Post-Colonial fellow. We *think* he is either a 1786 Connecticut Copper ET LIB INDE or a 1788 Vermont Georgivs III Rex ET LIB INDE. The coin's size matches both of these. Any thoughts? Lastly, post a few photos of a fairly ok 1905 Indian Head just for the heck of it. Enjoy! ~Lisa & John

PS - If I should be posting these types of new(er) finds under the What Is It forum, please let me know.

Attachments

• Post Colonial Fellow - Back.jpg
    Post Colonial Fellow - Back.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Post Colonial - Back3.JPG
    Post Colonial - Back3.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Post Colonial Fellow - Back2.jpg
    Post Colonial Fellow - Back2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Post Colonial - Back2.JPG
    Post Colonial - Back2.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Post Colonial - Back4.JPG
    Post Colonial - Back4.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Post Colonial - Front2.JPG
    Post Colonial - Front2.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Post Colonial - Front3.jpg
    Post Colonial - Front3.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Post Colonial - Front.JPG
    Post Colonial - Front.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Post Colonial - Front4.jpg
    Post Colonial - Front4.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Large Cent - Front.jpg
    Large Cent - Front.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 190
  • Large Cent - Front2.jpg
    Large Cent - Front2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Large Cent - Back.jpg
    Large Cent - Back.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Post Colonial Fellow - Back2.jpg
    Post Colonial Fellow - Back2.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Post Colonial Fellow, Front.JPG
    Post Colonial Fellow, Front.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 1905 Indian Head Penny2.jpg
    1905 Indian Head Penny2.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 1905 Indian Head Penny - Back.jpg
    1905 Indian Head Penny - Back.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 1905 Indian Head Penny.jpg
    1905 Indian Head Penny.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Upvote 10

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; The first coin is a Matron Head LC which Dates from 1816 - 1857. The Second is a Connecticut Copper. There are 147 different designs of this coin ok. Also the first CLC's had the same or similar design as the King George Coppers of Vermont Origin. Hence I do not know which one it is without seeing them in person ok. The pictures are blurry and don't provide the kind of Detail I would need to make a Positive ID on them. CONGRATS on some nice finds. PEACE:RONB

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were you I would slow down! You're hooked aren't you bro?!?! Savor those finds!!!

Man, I've really grown accustomed to seeing your posts and knowing I'm going to enjoy the finds.

There's a Colonial Relics sub forum is colonial guys just got going. Those finds would look mighty fine on there.

Congrats on the stage copper. Real nice bro

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more Amazing Finds. appears most of coppers are heavy iron coating from the soil. if they are black I suggest a QUICK 5- 10 minutes of electrolysis to release the corrosion, follow with a few seconds LIGHT buff with #800-#1200 grit sandpaper under running water. do this only on black coppers--the results are quite astounding if done with EXTREME care. the details will be enhanced without ruining the coin. peroxide, lemon juice, vinegar even EV olive oil will not help with the iron. some will raise holy he!! on this advise, but it works. the patina should be left on the coin, so do not overdo the cleaning to the point of seeing bare copper. hope you keep that HONEY HOLE secret----there is still a lot more left to dig and the silver should start flowing______________

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, Barker for the possible IDs. Port for the awesome cleaning info. Scrappy, we just joined the Colonial Relics of NE group. Believe it or not, John only gets to detect for about an hour every other day or so. Has FIVE kids and owns a business--busy guy. It's just that he usually finds several items a day (sorry, not trying to brag), so I find myself posting often! Found through reading the Historical Society description that one of the prior owners of the property entertained British troops or dignitaries prior to the Revolutionary War. Guess they were Tories. This might explain all the Dandy buttons and foreign coins we're finding. It's really cool trying to match up or finds with the Bosley of the property/New England!

Take care, -L & J

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
That LC looks like the head styling of the 1830s. Check out a Redbook and see if you can narrow it down.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gang, I'm curious about electrolysis. Is there an article on here about it somewhere? If not, I can do an Internet search. Thanks! -L & J

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is George I. Halfpenny or Farthing depending on the size.

Attachments

• Post Colonial Fellow, Front.JPG
    Post Colonial Fellow, Front.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find out more information on that coin. -Lisa & John
This one is George I. Halfpenny or Farthing depending on the size.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I see there are two camps as far as cleaning goes. I feel that on coins that we can't identify because of the condition, then cleaning should be attempted. Otherwise, not sure how to identify them...so...what good is it to have an unknown coin? However, I understand the importance and desirability of patina. On coins that we can identify that have have you patina, we will leave them be. I really enjoyed hearing everybody's thoughts on cleaning as it will help us to make informed decisions. You guys are great. -L&J

.QUOTE=VMI Digger;5112890]Nice pile of LC/colonial coppers, my 2 cents... wait a bit before you start cleaning (took 200 years to earn that patina, but takes 2 minutes to ruin it)[/QUOTE]

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I see there are two camps as far as cleaning goes. I feel that on coins that we can't identify because of the condition, then cleaning should be attempted. Otherwise, not sure how to identify them...so...what good is it to have an unknown coin? However, I understand the importance and desirability of patina. On coins that we can identify that have have you patina, we will leave them be. I really enjoyed hearing everybody's thoughts on cleaning as it will help us to make informed decisions. You guys are great. -L&J

.QUOTE=VMI Digger;5112890]Nice pile of LC/colonial coppers, my 2 cents... wait a bit before you start cleaning (took 200 years to earn that patina, but takes 2 minutes to ruin it)
[/QUOTE]

As most will say you dug it so it's completely up to you with how much or little you choose to clean them. For most dug coppers, value is limited so feel free to experiment with different techniques (boiling hydrogen peroxide, oil soak, electrolysis, dry toothpicking). Just know what you have before you go crazy, in most cases you can improve esthetics, but at the expense of value.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right. We hear you, Iron. At this point, we are afraid of touching the 1775 Grand Army Mass Militia button in any way. We are simply storing it in a plastic sealed bag and have it hidden away in a cool, dry place. A few members told us to treat the pewter in some way so that it doesn't further decay. We are even wary to do that. But I suppose there's no harm in trying to clean or in hands a coin that is simply on identifiable due to rust or iron or dirt, or wear. Thanks again. -L & J

QUOTE=VMI Digger;5113288][/QUOTE]

As most will say you dug it so it's completely up to you with how much or little you choose to clean them. For most dug coppers, value is limited so feel free to experiment with different techniques (boiling hydrogen peroxide, oil soak, electrolysis, dry toothpicking). Just know what you have before you go crazy, in most cases you can improve esthetics, but at the expense of value.[/QUOTE]

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not to hijack the coin thread but regarding the pewter, IP is certainly an expert, but I've dug my fair share. Don't fear the button :laughing7: just take a few steps to ensure preservation. I personally use a thin coat of bree wax buffed to a dull shine with a shoe polish brush. An easier method is to paint on a 50/50 mix of elmers glue... completely reversible and 100% safe on pewter. Good luck with your new digs, preserving and post dig research is half the fun

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are great. Thanks! -L & J
Not to hijack the coin thread but regarding the pewter, IP is certainly an expert, but I've dug my fair share. Don't fear the button :laughing7: just take a few steps to ensure preservation. I personally use a thin coat of bree wax buffed to a dull shine with a shoe polish brush. An easier method is to paint on a 50/50 mix of elmers glue... completely reversible and 100% safe on pewter. Good luck with your new digs, preserving and post dig research is half the fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread