Confirmed Solid Silver Colonial Shoe Buckle with Paste Stones - Amazing Relic!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE #2:

I noticed what looks like it might be a mint mark but can't get a good picture of it. I have exceeded the ability of my ipad and don't have my hi-res camera with me. Any chance someone might recognize what this tiny symbol is? See last picture.

UPDATE:

I have confirmed that this is in fact a solid silver colonial shoe buckle with paste stones. I had it checked out by a jeweler and they immediately knew it was silver but did an acid test just to confirm. I have added new pictures of it cleaned. I am seriously thinking about having it restored by an antique jeweler and have them replace the missing stones. I doubt I can find anyone to replace the tongue and chape but it would be awesome to have it complete again. I can't stop picking up this buckle and looking at it. My wife just shakes her head - me, I just smile.

I hit a colonial site today with Williedigit and his son William and the finds were sparse but what I did find was a home run in my book. "Willie" had just dug a colonial copper coin and I was just a jealous not having dug anything much. I made my way back to an iron patch that I had not noticed before and immediately got a solid 90 on my T2 so of course I was thinking it as a copper or better yet a colonial silver coin. Reached in the hole and under a root and pulled out a shoe buckle. Shoe buckles are one of my favorite relic find and they usually come out in fragments or mangled. So when I saw it was whole and then noticed the stones I got pretty excited.

When I got home and cleaned it up I wanted to be really careful because most old jewelry that I have found with stones in them the stones will fall out almost immediately after getting them out of the ground. All that I have done is use water and a soft toothbrush and it looks like the stones are really well set and the metal appears to be solid silver but tarnished from the sandy moist soil from this site. I imagine that lemon juice or electrolysis would remove the tarnish but I don't want to risk damaging it or losing more stones.

Here is some interesting information that I found on Paste Stone shoe buckles:

Georgian Paste Shoe Buckles - CandiceHern.com

Attachments

• IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3348.JPG
    IMG_3348.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 33

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A shoe buckle like that or any complete shoe buckle for that matter is at the top of my want list. Nice dig

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey bud what a great find. I have to see it fall out of view without proper recognition.

I looked in my buckles book and couldn't find your exact variety, but it looks to be correct. Is that silver? Most paste buckles were silver.

Anyway, excellent find!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a really great buckle, nice job

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey bud what a great find. I have to see it fall out of view without proper recognition.

I looked in my buckles book and couldn't find your exact variety, but it looks to be correct. Is that silver? Most paste buckles were silver.

Anyway, excellent find!

Thanks for the comments and noticing this is a special buckle. I am fairly certain it is solid silver but have not tested it. It I get it cleaned up properly I'll post another picture of it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man that's a killer shoe buckle! If it is solid silver I will vote BANNER on it. We never see them posted

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow man that's a killer shoe buckle! If it is solid silver I will vote BANNER on it. We never see them posted

Thanks Abe, I know how much you like and appreciate shoe buckles and hoped you'd see it. It is a special buckle to hold and see the craftsmanship that went into making it. The sandy soil around coastal NC sticks like concrete to most finds and it might have to be zapped with some light electrolysis for the silver to show through. We're on vacation this week and all of my cleaning supplies are at home so it might be early next week before I can get this done.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I only got my first one of this type (very similar to yours) a few months ago. Yours have more stones in than mine - nice.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS A DANG NICE BUCKLE ..

williedigit

Oct 24, 2015
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and WHITES SILVER EAGLE also MINELAB 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep wish the stone were real but still one heck of a find buddy

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very beautiful and richly made buckle. I really wish the impoverished scroungers of olden times in my neck of the woods would have lost some of those.

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible buckle....never seen one like that posted. Congrats!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a sweet one. I'd call it a successful day for sure if I found a beauty like that. :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful buckle find, congratulations! It looks like a 1720 - 1790's period piece.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other