πŸ₯‡ BANNER Black glass bottle, a gator and a cameo appearance by the Bearded Man

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after Hurricane Hermine blew through South Carolina Dirtstalker and I made plans to dig the Swamp Pit on Labor Day. But the old man wore himself out digging some kind of old tag and wasn't able to go. So Monday morning I made the 90-minute journey and headed toward the pit. On the way I was greeted by a small (three foot) alligator that I have named Ollie; he must have come up from the swamp when it was flooded by the storm.

20160907_190435.jpg

No big deal, I just walked around him and headed to the pit. When I arrived I found a small pond where I have been digging the past few trips, courtesy of Hermine.

20160907_185910.jpg

I certainly didn't drive that far to turn around and go home, so I waded into the pit and dug through the slop. Basically I was feeling my way through the mire and lifting out anything solid to inspect it. As in all of the digs before I hit a layer of black glass shards and started working my way through them. After a while I found two or three shards of salt-glazed pottery that I thought were more pieces of a jar that I have been reconstructing, but the glaze looked more brown than the other pieces. When I dug a jug handle and spout of the same color I knew I was finding something different. Recognizing it to be from a Rhenish jug I thought to myself how cool it would be if it was a Bartmann jug, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

As I worked through more glass I felt the base of a bottle and followed it with my hands around to the neck. I carefully dug it out with my screwdriver and pulled out a small bottle with a flat oval front. The back is missing but rest of it is intact.

20160907_183622.jpg 20160907_183508.jpg

20160907_183547.jpg

After that I continued to find a lot of good-sized pieces of the brown glazed jug. Then it happened-I pulled up a pottery shard that had part of the face of a bearded man-and then I found the rest of it. I was astounded, because I then knew that what I was finding was a Bartmann jug, also known as a Bellarmine jug. They were made in what is now Western Germany, during the 16th and 17th centuries, this one presumably being made in the 1600s. The signature of these jugs was the "Bartmaske," which is German for "Bearded Man." It was a representation of the "Wild Man," a mythological creature of Northern European folklore. The jugs are highly collectible and are fairly rare finds.

20160905_200154.jpg

I knew I had found enough for a partial reconstruction. After I got home and cleaned the shards I laid them out and took this picture:

20160907_185331.jpg

Then I began the slow tedious task of gluing the pieces back together.

20160907_185521.jpg

20160907_185430.jpg

This is the final product:

20160907_193747.jpg

20160907_184316.jpg

20160907_184229.jpg

20160907_184637.jpg

Most Bartmann jugs had from one to three ornate medallions/seals attached to the mid-section. This one originally had two, one to either side of (and below) the Bearded Man. They apparently broke off; you can see the clay blobs where they were attached. I would LOVE to find at least one of them.

Here is a shot of the Bartmann jug beside the bottle for a size reference:

20160907_183139.jpg

All of my finds for the day:

20160907_182526.jpg

And these are the bottle and ceramic reconstructions from the Swamp Pit so far; the ceramics are a work in progress. Hopefully I will be adding to them with shards found on future digs.

20160907_182245.jpg

Digging the Swamp Pit so far has been a wild ride, and there is plenty of pit left to dig. So until next time, I will leave you with an image of the Bearded Man; I think he looks a lot like Dirtstalker:

20160907_190815.jpg

Attachments

• 20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Upvote 62

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The finds from your pit are more mind-blowing with each successive hunt. I have never seen such a productive spot as far as bottles and ceramics are concerned, and I've dug hundreds of colonial trash pits. We always seem to find a piece or 2 from those bellarmine jugs, but nowhere near enough to do any reconstructions. Congrats again on an amazing site, and make sure you squeeze every last shard from there as you'll likely never run across another site as loaded as this.

BTW - here's a piece of one of those cool medallions from those jugs that I dug years ago. Looks like some type of mythical creature to me. Hopefully the medallion to yours is still hiding somewhere in that pit. Good luck finding it.

bellarmine medallion frag.jpg

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like puzzles!! Nice write up. Hope you find the rest of your jug.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER vote from me. That is truly an incredible pit you have. The age, quantity and quality are just mind blowing. Great job buddy. That medallion is down there my friend

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very Nice & different !

My Banner Vote is in :thumbsup:

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hard core stuff there Glenn. Nice job on the jug!
I would be more worried about the moccasins than the lizard!

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive reconstructions. And i enjoyed the step by step progression pics. Nice post...
That bearded man looks cool and i love the other bottles as well. Good Luck finding the other pieces.....

So would all of those black glass bottles be considered onion bottles?

Thanks. Good question; actually only one of them is a true "onion" bottle. One of the others is a mallet form (the latest of the bunch) and the rest are various stages of the transition from onion to mallet.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the reconstruction. Lots of good pictures. Can you turn that little guy into a Gator Burger?
Congrats

I'm sure he would be delicious, but I have adopted a live and let live philosophy, so for now at least he is safe. Not sure about Dirtstalker though...

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes that jug is incredible. And I'm astonished at the completeness of that bottle! I'm lucky if I find little bitty pieces of black glass, and really lucky if I find a piece of the rounded base!

Wonderful job with the reconstruction. The hours you spent sure look to be worth it. Thanks for posting your work

Thanks Steve; I guess we all get lucky now and then.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to scratch the itch Glenn despite the rain, your latest reconstructions are incredible

Thanks Jon. You know we are like the mailman-neither rain nor snow nor Hurricane...

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finds from your pit are more mind-blowing with each successive hunt. I have never seen such a productive spot as far as bottles and ceramics are concerned, and I've dug hundreds of colonial trash pits. We always seem to find a piece or 2 from those bellarmine jugs, but nowhere near enough to do any reconstructions. Congrats again on an amazing site, and make sure you squeeze every last shard from there as you'll likely never run across another site as loaded as this.

BTW - here's a piece of one of those cool medallions from those jugs that I dug years ago. Looks like some type of mythical creature to me. Hopefully the medallion to yours is still hiding somewhere in that pit. Good luck finding it.

View attachment 1356938

Thanks Bill, that's quite a compliment coming from you. I plan to completely excavate the area where I found the jug shards and I believe there is good chance that I will find most of the rest of it. That's a very cool medallion you have there-maybe a lion at the bottom?

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER vote from me. That is truly an incredible pit you have. The age, quantity and quality are just mind blowing. Great job buddy. That medallion is down there my friend

Thanks Ahab-if they are there I will find them.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard core stuff there Glenn. Nice job on the jug!
I would be more worried about the moccasins than the lizard!

Appreciate it Russ. I haven't seen any snakes any where near the pit-yet ;D

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Really impressive. I have dug a lot of onion bottle pieces, but only pieces. Killer hunt.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Un-Friggin-Believable! This pit has been something else. Can't wait to see what else you pull out of there! Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, always wanted to buy one of those but can't afford it. Finding it would be nice - great jug!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and reconstruction ! Love the jug and that onion bottle with the flat side is known as a Bladder Onion form, more rare than the English "pancake" onion forms. Man I wish that bottle was whole! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and reconstruction ! Love the jug and that onion bottle with the flat side is known as a Bladder Onion form, more rare than the English "pancake" onion forms. Man I wish that bottle was whole! Congrats and HH

thanks for the info about the bottle. I was pretty sure that it is an early form but didn't know much about it. Do you know the approximate date range for bladder onion bottles?

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info about the bottle. I was pretty sure that it is an early form but didn't know much about it. Do you know the approximate date range for bladder onion bottles?

Should be pre 1740, could you post a photo of the bottom of the bottle, I would like to see the pontil scare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread