Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after Hurricane Hermine blew through South Carolina Dirtstalker and I made plans to dig the Swamp Pit on Labor Day. But the old man wore himself out digging some kind of old tag and wasn't able to go. So Monday morning I made the 90-minute journey and headed toward the pit. On the way I was greeted by a small (three foot) alligator that I have named Ollie; he must have come up from the swamp when it was flooded by the storm.

20160907_190435.jpg

No big deal, I just walked around him and headed to the pit. When I arrived I found a small pond where I have been digging the past few trips, courtesy of Hermine.

20160907_185910.jpg

I certainly didn't drive that far to turn around and go home, so I waded into the pit and dug through the slop. Basically I was feeling my way through the mire and lifting out anything solid to inspect it. As in all of the digs before I hit a layer of black glass shards and started working my way through them. After a while I found two or three shards of salt-glazed pottery that I thought were more pieces of a jar that I have been reconstructing, but the glaze looked more brown than the other pieces. When I dug a jug handle and spout of the same color I knew I was finding something different. Recognizing it to be from a Rhenish jug I thought to myself how cool it would be if it was a Bartmann jug, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

As I worked through more glass I felt the base of a bottle and followed it with my hands around to the neck. I carefully dug it out with my screwdriver and pulled out a small bottle with a flat oval front. The back is missing but rest of it is intact.

20160907_183622.jpg 20160907_183508.jpg

20160907_183547.jpg

After that I continued to find a lot of good-sized pieces of the brown glazed jug. Then it happened-I pulled up a pottery shard that had part of the face of a bearded man-and then I found the rest of it. I was astounded, because I then knew that what I was finding was a Bartmann jug, also known as a Bellarmine jug. They were made in what is now Western Germany, during the 16th and 17th centuries, this one presumably being made in the 1600s. The signature of these jugs was the "Bartmaske," which is German for "Bearded Man." It was a representation of the "Wild Man," a mythological creature of Northern European folklore. The jugs are highly collectible and are fairly rare finds.

20160905_200154.jpg

I knew I had found enough for a partial reconstruction. After I got home and cleaned the shards I laid them out and took this picture:

20160907_185331.jpg

Then I began the slow tedious task of gluing the pieces back together.

20160907_185521.jpg

20160907_185430.jpg

This is the final product:

20160907_193747.jpg

20160907_184316.jpg

20160907_184229.jpg

20160907_184637.jpg

Most Bartmann jugs had from one to three ornate medallions/seals attached to the mid-section. This one originally had two, one to either side of (and below) the Bearded Man. They apparently broke off; you can see the clay blobs where they were attached. I would LOVE to find at least one of them.

Here is a shot of the Bartmann jug beside the bottle for a size reference:

20160907_183139.jpg

All of my finds for the day:

20160907_182526.jpg

And these are the bottle and ceramic reconstructions from the Swamp Pit so far; the ceramics are a work in progress. Hopefully I will be adding to them with shards found on future digs.

20160907_182245.jpg

Digging the Swamp Pit so far has been a wild ride, and there is plenty of pit left to dig. So until next time, I will leave you with an image of the Bearded Man; I think he looks a lot like Dirtstalker:

20160907_190815.jpg

Attachments

• 20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Upvote 62

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn hope you find the jug pieces this weekend. Im telling you its going to be a special weekend at the Pig Pit. Sorry Brittle Bones Bob can't attend this weekend AGAIN but I'll be rootin for ya.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn hope you find the jug pieces this weekend. Im telling you its going to be a special weekend at the Pig Pit. Sorry Brittle Bones Bob can't attend this weekend AGAIN but I'll be rootin for ya.

Thanks buddy-I'll save plenty for you.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks buddy-I'll save plenty for you.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A huge congrats on a well earned Banner. I knew it should make it up there as soon as I laid eyes on yer post.:thumbsup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
An onion bottle, bellarmine jug.........c'mon, banner all the way. Those two, even not intact, are on my wish list every time I walk out my door.
Bill D., if this doesn't get you geared up for this fall then I don't know what will!

Are you kidding me? I bet this has Bill is training with jigsaw puzzles for the bottles, and has that f-75 polished and ready bro!

Bill is always ready!! Lol

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congratulations Glenn on a well deserved banner man. This is one of my favorite finds ever on here. :occasion14:

Tectey

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2016
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool!! I have been dump digging all summer too. The first and best dump I found is literally 5 houses away from me in a wooded ravine. I live in an area that is very rich in history (and many people are just rich in general haha), and the dump dates back to the mid 1800s as far as I've found, so I've gotten some sweet finds. I have attempted restoration on a couple Red Wing crocks up here in MN but have yet to complete one. That's nothing compared the beauty you've got! Its practice... lol. Its great to see another person on here who is also interested in restoring bottles and crockery, and congrats on the old beauty! ;)

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations On the First of many, I Bet this has to be the only Banner that has taken so much effort.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see what you find on the next dig. I will watch for your next post. Good Luck. Awesome!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My curiosity is what got the banner? Probably the aggilator, since it is the only complete item you posted?

Actually wanted to congratulate you. I knew nothing of these jugs importance till I read the whole thread. I do hope you find more of the puzzle and are able to complete it.

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow. Those are beautiful. Great job on piecing them back together!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of my old black glass books, here are some photos from the book showing in English bladder style, and two later Dutch bladder style black glass bottles.

I believe yours is English I looking at the applied lip and in looking at the flattened onion style body. But I can confirm it being English by looking at the pontil scar.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473620768.932040.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473620847.487391.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473620879.036267.jpg

Pontil explanations

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473621144.291802.jpg

Examples from my collection

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473621192.877460.jpg

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! I'm glad I could learn something today about all of this. Great stuff and wouldn't mind doing it myself one day if I got to it. Congrats on a awesome find and banner
Best of luck finding some more shards to it!

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of my old black glass books, here are some photos from the book showing in English bladder style, and two later Dutch bladder style black glass bottles.

I believe yours is English I looking at the applied lip and in looking at the flattened onion style body. But I can confirm it being English by looking at the pontil scar.

View attachment 1357804 View attachment 1357805 View attachment 1357806

Pontil explanations

View attachment 1357816

Examples from my collection

View attachment 1357817

Here you go

Attachments

• 1473652686404.jpg
    1473652686404.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 63

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after Hurricane Hermine blew through South Carolina Dirtstalker and I made plans to dig the Swamp Pit on Labor Day. But the old man wore himself out digging some kind of old tag and wasn't able to go. So Monday morning I made the 90-minute journey and headed up the creek toward the pit. On the way I was greeted by a small (three foot) alligator that I have named Ollie; he must have come up from the swamp when it was flooded by the storm.

View attachment 1356767

No big deal, I just walked around him and headed to the pit. When I arrived I found a small pond where I have been digging the past few trips, courtesy of Hermine.

View attachment 1356770

I certainly didn't drive that far to turn around and go home, so I waded into the pit and dug through the slop. Basically I was feeling my way through the mire and lifting out anything solid to inspect it. As in all of the digs before I hit a layer of black glass shards and started working my way through them. After a while I found two or three shards of salt-glazed pottery that I thought were more pieces of a jar that I have been reconstructing, but the glaze looked more brown than the other pieces. When I dug a jug handle and spout of the same color I knew I was finding something different. Recognizing it to be from a Rhenish jug I thought to myself how cool it would be if it was a Bartmann jug, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

As I worked through more glass I felt the base of a bottle and followed it with my hands around to the neck. I carefully dug it out with my screwdriver and pulled out a small bottle with a flat oval front. The back is missing but rest of it is intact.

View attachment 1356773

View attachment 1356776 View attachment 1356777

View attachment 1356778

After that I continued to find a lot of good-sized pieces of the brown glazed jug. Then it happened-I pulled up a pottery shard that had part of the face of a bearded man-and then I found the rest of it. I was astounded, because I then knew that what I was finding was a Bartmann jug, also known as a Bellarmine jug. They were made in what is now Western Germany, during the 16th and 17th centuries, this one presumably being made in the 1600s. The signature of these jugs was the "Bartmaske," which is German for "Bearded Man." It was a representation of the "Wild Man," a mythological creature of Northern European folklore. The jugs are highly collectible and are fairly rare finds.

View attachment 1356780

I knew I had found enough for a partial reconstruction. After I got home and cleaned the shards I laid them out and took this picture:

View attachment 1356781

Then I began the slow tedious task of gluing the pieces back together.

View attachment 1356782

View attachment 1356783

This is the final product:

View attachment 1356784

View attachment 1356786

View attachment 1356787

View attachment 1356788

Most Bartmann jugs had from one to three ornate medallions/seals attached to the mid-section. This one originally had two, one to either side of (and below) the Bearded Man. They apparently broke off; you can see the clay blobs where they were attached. I would LOVE to find at least one of them.

Here is a shot of the Bartmann jug beside the bottle for a size reference:

View attachment 1356793

All of my finds for the day:

View attachment 1356794

And these are the bottle and ceramic reconstructions from the Swamp Pit so far; the ceramics are a work in progress. Hopefully I will be adding to them with shards found on future digs.

View attachment 1356796

Digging the Swamp Pit so far has been a wild ride, and there is plenty of pit left to dig. So until next time, I will leave you with an image of the Bearded Man; I think he looks a lot like Dirtstalker:

View attachment 1356797

Great Job on Digging & Reconstruction . WOW!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds, and some great restoration work! I'm backtracking the posts, so have already seen your follow up. Congrats on the banner - well deserved!

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest: