Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after Hurricane Hermine blew through South Carolina Dirtstalker and I made plans to dig the Swamp Pit on Labor Day. But the old man wore himself out digging some kind of old tag and wasn't able to go. So Monday morning I made the 90-minute journey and headed toward the pit. On the way I was greeted by a small (three foot) alligator that I have named Ollie; he must have come up from the swamp when it was flooded by the storm.

20160907_190435.jpg

No big deal, I just walked around him and headed to the pit. When I arrived I found a small pond where I have been digging the past few trips, courtesy of Hermine.

20160907_185910.jpg

I certainly didn't drive that far to turn around and go home, so I waded into the pit and dug through the slop. Basically I was feeling my way through the mire and lifting out anything solid to inspect it. As in all of the digs before I hit a layer of black glass shards and started working my way through them. After a while I found two or three shards of salt-glazed pottery that I thought were more pieces of a jar that I have been reconstructing, but the glaze looked more brown than the other pieces. When I dug a jug handle and spout of the same color I knew I was finding something different. Recognizing it to be from a Rhenish jug I thought to myself how cool it would be if it was a Bartmann jug, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

As I worked through more glass I felt the base of a bottle and followed it with my hands around to the neck. I carefully dug it out with my screwdriver and pulled out a small bottle with a flat oval front. The back is missing but rest of it is intact.

20160907_183622.jpg 20160907_183508.jpg

20160907_183547.jpg

After that I continued to find a lot of good-sized pieces of the brown glazed jug. Then it happened-I pulled up a pottery shard that had part of the face of a bearded man-and then I found the rest of it. I was astounded, because I then knew that what I was finding was a Bartmann jug, also known as a Bellarmine jug. They were made in what is now Western Germany, during the 16th and 17th centuries, this one presumably being made in the 1600s. The signature of these jugs was the "Bartmaske," which is German for "Bearded Man." It was a representation of the "Wild Man," a mythological creature of Northern European folklore. The jugs are highly collectible and are fairly rare finds.

20160905_200154.jpg

I knew I had found enough for a partial reconstruction. After I got home and cleaned the shards I laid them out and took this picture:

20160907_185331.jpg

Then I began the slow tedious task of gluing the pieces back together.

20160907_185521.jpg

20160907_185430.jpg

This is the final product:

20160907_193747.jpg

20160907_184316.jpg

20160907_184229.jpg

20160907_184637.jpg

Most Bartmann jugs had from one to three ornate medallions/seals attached to the mid-section. This one originally had two, one to either side of (and below) the Bearded Man. They apparently broke off; you can see the clay blobs where they were attached. I would LOVE to find at least one of them.

Here is a shot of the Bartmann jug beside the bottle for a size reference:

20160907_183139.jpg

All of my finds for the day:

20160907_182526.jpg

And these are the bottle and ceramic reconstructions from the Swamp Pit so far; the ceramics are a work in progress. Hopefully I will be adding to them with shards found on future digs.

20160907_182245.jpg

Digging the Swamp Pit so far has been a wild ride, and there is plenty of pit left to dig. So until next time, I will leave you with an image of the Bearded Man; I think he looks a lot like Dirtstalker:

20160907_190815.jpg

Attachments

• 20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Upvote 62

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely INCREDIBLE Glenn :notworthy: That Bellarmine jug is one of the most amazing pieces I've seen posted. I sure hope you can get your hands on the rest of the shards to it. They can't be far away. I'm blown away by the nearly complete onion bottles you are consistently pulling out of that slop. It's truly an unbelievable pit and I can't wait for your next trip out there.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive reconstructions. And i enjoyed the step by step progression pics. Nice post...
That bearded man looks cool and i love the other bottles as well. Good Luck finding the other pieces.....

So would all of those black glass bottles be considered onion bottles?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely INCREDIBLE Glenn :notworthy: That Bellarmine jug is one of the most amazing pieces I've seen posted. I sure hope you can get your hands on the rest of the shards to it. They can't be far away. I'm blown away by the nearly complete onion bottles you are consistently pulling out of that slop. It's truly an unbelievable pit and I can't wait for your next trip out there.

Thanks Brad-I appreciate the compliment, especially from you. I have learned a LOT about pit digging from your posts and Bill D's, and the advice you have sent me.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first I'd like to say you have been very persistent with your Pit Addiction(Thanks Brad he won't go anywhere else until Every last piece has been pulled out of that Pig Pit. Did I say say thanks Brad for fueling his addiction with zero chance at rehab:laughing7:
But seriously that pit is deep and I know it has to hold some complete bottles and other relics if we ever reach the bottom. I sure this weekend the Pit will reveal a major surprise. One question Glenn why didn't you post that the bearded man looked like your ex-wife like you've been telling me since Monday....oops

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first I'd like to say you have been very persistent with your Pit Addiction(Thanks Brad he won't go anywhere else until Every last piece has been pulled out of that Pig Pit. Did I say say thanks Brad for fueling his addiction with zero chance at rehab:laughing7:
But seriously that pit is deep and I know it has to hold some complete bottles and other relics if we ever reach the bottom. I sure this weekend the Pit will reveal a major surprise. One question Glenn why didn't you post that the bearded man looked like your ex-wife like you've been telling me since Monday....oops

After studying it some more I decided it is not quite as ugly as the ex, but it bears a striking resemblance to you. And the whole Wild Man creature is right up your alley. Maybe I should start calling it an Allenmann jug?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont underestimate how great of a find you got, they have dug a few of these at jamestown and show their reconstruction of them on their archaeology website. I bet the rest of the pieces of both awesome artifacts are still there. I would drain the swamp if i could, they would be that important to me. I might even wrestle the little gator over those shards:laughing7: really though i think these are banner finds even if not complete. They are just rare to find. great job of saving them:thumbsup:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After studying it some more I decided it is not quite as ugly as the ex, but it bears a striking resemblance to you. And the whole Wild Man creature is right up your alley. Maybe I should start calling it an Allenmann jug?

That will be fine as long as I don't hear 1 Whoa Nelly this weekend or ever refering to your New toy that you claim is a Deus Buster.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont underestimate how great of a find you got, they have dug a few of these at jamestown and show their reconstruction of them on their archaeology website. I bet the rest of the pieces of both awesome artifacts are still there. I would drain the swamp if i could, they would be that important to me. I might even wrestle the little gator over those shards:laughing7: really though i think these are banner finds even if not complete. They are just rare to find. great job of saving them:thumbsup:

Thanks VN. I plan to do a thorough search all around the spot where I found the shards and expect to find at least some of them. What I really would like to find is one or both of the medallions.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks Like......hmmm A BIG waste of Money
But I hope it's something to Wack that baby gator over the head with. You know the baby one that kept you out of the creek. You see gator I see lunch
You get that from that last Giant that you got the beans from Jack?

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the reconstruction. Lots of good pictures. Can you turn that little guy into a Gator Burger?
Congrats

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There is a fine line between pit digging and mud wallowing, and this falls in the latter. Since you taught DnD everything he knows about wallowing, I'll leave the rehabilitation ideas up to you.... :laughing7: Tough love is probably best... perhaps you dump a bucket of snakes in the bottle wallow... But even that wouldn't keep me out!

Totally agree :thumbsup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy smokes that jug is incredible. And I'm astonished at the completeness of that bottle! I'm lucky if I find little bitty pieces of black glass, and really lucky if I find a piece of the rounded base!

Wonderful job with the reconstruction. The hours you spent sure look to be worth it. Thanks for posting your work

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats DND. Once again, your zigsaw championship background, has served you well!

Congrats on the extraordinary finds.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great finds

Nice job on the recovery and reconstruction. Those are def worth it

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions