Dandy? Unidentified Item, button...1683 Property--Massachusetts

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day, everyone!

I've attached photos of yesterday's findings. Perhaps a dandy flat button with a neat starburst design. Another button. A large piece of pewter. And a piece of something...brass? Around 1.5" long. I also posted this last item on the "What Is It" forum so we can hopefully learn more. Note the hole that was forged through it. Thanks for your thoughts! Happy digging, all. ~Lisa & John

Attachments

• Dandy -- Starburst.JPG
    Dandy -- Starburst.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Dandy - Starburst - Back.JPG
    Dandy - Starburst - Back.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 132
  • What Is It4.JPG
    What Is It4.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 135
  • What Is It.JPG
    What Is It.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 132
  • What Is It2.JPG
    What Is It2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 133
  • What Is It3.JPG
    What Is It3.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 3

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though everyone on TNet calls them "dandy" buttons, they are actually macaroni buttons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaroni_(fashion)

"Dandy" is a totally different thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy

I just threw that out there to confuse everyone with some truth.

Your fragment is probably from a shoe buckle.

Totally disagree. Dandy Button is a commonly held term for these. Not technically correct, but nor is macaroni. In fact, they are one of the same.

If you want an Archaeological term, you would just call them large 'copper-alloy flat buttons'. Mostly plated in some way, but the base metal (at least 99% of them) is copper-alloy.

I use 'Dandy Button' because they are published as dating from 1750-80, where as a 'large copper-alloy flat button' could date from any period. So Dandy Button narrows down the margin of error.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello John and Lisa,

Seem you have a very interesting site, take your time, go low and slow and dig everything.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe--excellent deducing! That could well be right. Well, it's the most ornate buckle piece we've found yet, so we'll take it! Thanks for posting. -L&J
Lisa I believe your mystery piece is the broken frame of a small shoe buvkle from the 18th century. It has the correct shape and the hole would have held a pin that contained the chape, tongue and spike. These were what made the connection. Old shoelace of sorts

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Doc! Will do. -L&J
QUOTE=Professor of Engineering;5117683]Hello John and Lisa,

Seem you have a very interesting site, take your time, go low and slow and dig everything.

Regards,

Doc[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrappy, feel better soon. Try a teaspoon of honey to soothe your throat. Honey also has antibacterial properties. -L
While I love to disagree with Mr. French fries and gravy, but that's what I would have done. And by quiet I mean no iron... no nothing. I have a 5 acre spot I did that to but unfortunately National Historic landmarks are not keen on bulldozers. Lol

And don't mind me today. I'm home , stuck inside with two kids with strep. *grumpy*

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader, thanks for the detailed explanation and for the awesome link! Gonna go check it out now!
Totally disagree. Dandy Button is a commonly held term for these. Not technically correct, but nor is macaroni. In fact, they are one of the same.

If you want an Archaeological term, you would just call them large 'copper-alloy flat buttons'. Mostly plated in some way, but the base metal (at least 99% of them) is copper-alloy.

I use 'Dandy Button' because they are published as dating from 1750-80, where as a 'large copper-alloy flat button' could date from any period. So Dandy Button narrows down the margin of error.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe-yes! Could be a fancy piece of a buckle. Thanks for taking the time to share these photos. Very helpful! L&J
QUOTE=Ahab8;5117572] View attachment 1357580
View attachment 1357581
Here's a couple of examples. One without the guts that shows the shape. The other fully intact. I could be wrong but the shape and hole for the attachment look right[/QUOTE]

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe-yes! Could be a fancy piece of a buckle. Thanks for taking the time to share these photos. Very helpful! L&J
QUOTE=Ahab8;5117572] View attachment 1357580
View attachment 1357581
Here's a couple of examples. One without the guts that shows the shape. The other fully intact. I could be wrong but the shape and hole for the attachment look right
[/QUOTE]

They are right, its part of an 18th C shoe buckle. A pretty small one.(for these types)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I love to disagree with Mr. French fries and gravy, but that's what I would have done. And by quiet I mean no iron... no nothing. I have a 5 acre spot I did that to but unfortunately National Historic landmarks are not keen on bulldozers. Lol

And don't mind me today. I'm home , stuck inside with two kids with strep. *grumpy*

That works fine if there was never any type of structure there, but a massive waste of time at any typical Colonial site. Digging the place down would also be time consuming, but still more efficient and effective. As I said the cellar holes and trash pits you dig out completely, and the rest of the area take off a few inches at a time if you can. And also again if it was my place I would rip it apart and put it back together... I'd have to get it all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent work, guys! Thanks so much. Now I need to figure out how to do the Solved" thingy over on the What Is It forum! 😄 Spoke to John late last night. Apparently he found six more flat buttons. Will post later. -Lisa
doQUOTE=CRUSADER;5118033][/QUOTE]

They are right, its part of an 18th C shoe buckle. A pretty small one.(for these types)[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok...no laughing... But can you explain to me what a trash pit and a seller who are? Common sense tells me it is a place where trash was put because there weren't landfills back then. And I guess a seller whole is a place where a foundation is or something? On the property there is an underground type of structure. It seems to be some sort of root cellar or hideout or who knows what. I'll have to ask John if he has detected inside there. His paved driveway isn't in good condition, so he will eventually have to replace it. I have a feeling that underneath that driveway is a Goldmine. All in good time. It is rumored that a couple of soldiers are buried on the property. If this is true, I hope they buried bodies 6 feet under back then! -Lisa
That works fine if there was never any type of structure there, but a massive waste of time at any typical Colonial site. Digging the place down would also be time consuming, but still more efficient and effective. As I said the celler holes and trash pits you dig out completely, and the rest of the area take off a few inches at a time if you can. And also again if it was my place I would rip it apart and put it back together... I'd have to get it all!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...no laughing... But can you explain to me what a trash pit and a seller who are? Common sense tells me it is a place where trash was put because there weren't landfills back then. And I guess a seller whole is a place where a foundation is or something? On the property there is an underground type of structure. It seems to be some sort of root cellar or hideout or who knows what. I'll have to ask John if he has detected inside there. His paved driveway isn't in good condition, so he will eventually have to replace it. I have a feeling that underneath that driveway is a Goldmine. All in good time. It is rumored that a couple of soldiers are buried on the property. If this is true, I hope they buried bodies 6 feet under back then! -Lisa

Yes, they buried the trash in a pit, and it does not give up a lot of great finds usually, but can surprise you. You also have the cellar hole right, just here most were filled in by surrounding dirt so are worth digging out. Most iron and finds tend to be close to the hole because that's where the house was.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Understood, Iron. Thanks! -L&J

QUOTE=Iron Patch;5118099]Yes, they buried the trash in a pit, and it does not give up a lot of great finds usually, but can surprise you. You also have the cellar hole right, just here most were filled in by surrounding dirt so are worth digging out. Most iron and finds tend to be close to the hole because that's where the house was.[/QUOTE]

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep up the great work you guys, as others have mentioned fragment is part of a shoe buckle. Regarding the soil scraping, you have the luxury of an indefinite permission. Clearing is necessary, but try and methodically grid the area from both directions. Crusader is an expect on this so look to him for advice. Also try an hit the dirt after a long rain, wet soil does wonders to amplify the hallow effect of deep targets.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, VMI. Definitely good to know about detecting after a rain! ~L&J
Keep up the great work you guys, as others have mentioned fragment is part of a shoe buckle. Regarding the soil scraping, you have the luxury of an indefinite permission. Clearing is necessary, but try and methodically grid the area from both directions. Crusader is an expect on this so look to him for advice. Also try an hit the dirt after a long rain, wet soil does wonders to amplify the hallow effect of deep targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions