Dandy? Unidentified Item, button...1683 Property--Massachusetts

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day, everyone!

I've attached photos of yesterday's findings. Perhaps a dandy flat button with a neat starburst design. Another button. A large piece of pewter. And a piece of something...brass? Around 1.5" long. I also posted this last item on the "What Is It" forum so we can hopefully learn more. Note the hole that was forged through it. Thanks for your thoughts! Happy digging, all. ~Lisa & John

Attachments

• Dandy -- Starburst.JPG
    Dandy -- Starburst.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Dandy - Starburst - Back.JPG
    Dandy - Starburst - Back.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 131
  • What Is It4.JPG
    What Is It4.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 134
  • What Is It.JPG
    What Is It.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 131
  • What Is It2.JPG
    What Is It2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 131
  • What Is It3.JPG
    What Is It3.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 3
Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! Not sure how to tell the difference between dandies and macaronies, so perhaps we'll just call them fancy flat buttons. :-). -Lisa & John

QUOTE=DetectingGodlikeOnOlympus;5117339]Even though everyone on TNet calls them "dandy" buttons, they are actually macaroni buttons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaroni_(fashion)

"Dandy" is a totally different thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy

I just threw that out there to confuse everyone with some truth.

Your fragment is probably from a shoe buckle.[/QUOTE]

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of my league not as much history here compared to where you are there I would probably dig most signals I'm a lot more picky Great finds Thanks for sharing them

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Tommy. We're finding the tractor very handy. Seems when we remove two inches of soil, A whole new set of signals show up. Slow work but good work. Take care. -Lisa & John
Out of my league not as much history here compared to where you are there I would probably dig most signals I'm a lot more picky Great finds Thanks for sharing them

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a TRACTOR??_____________d>mn, I gotta get me of o' them. clear 6" of overburden, sift that & swing the plot_____repeat until ya' hit water or oil. more nice loot!!
Thanks, Tommy. We're finding the tractor very handy. Seems when we remove two inches of soil, A whole new set of signals show up. Slow work but good work. Take care. -Lisa & John

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I cringe when I think of this situation. A tractor? Removing soil after barely starting? Sheez man, it's your property so do what you want but I promise you're destroying more than you're finding. Good luck to you because I can't read your posts anymore.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. More good things to come. Good luck

HH RN

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk to us, Scrappy. We're only doing this in the area near the vernal stream where we had to clear a bunch of thorny brambles. We dug all signals, then took the soil down two inches, and lo and behold--more signals. Not planning on plowing the whole four acres, lol! L&D

I cringe when I think of this situation. A tractor? Removing soil after barely starting? Sheez man, it's your property so do what you want but I promise you're destroying more than you're finding. Good luck to you because I can't read your posts anymore.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hehehe, Port...not sure we'll go THAT far! ;-)

a TRACTOR??_____________d>mn, I gotta get me of o' them. clear 6" of overburden, sift that & swing the plot_____repeat until ya' hit water or oil. more nice loot!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to us, Scrappy. We're only doing this in the area near the vernal stream where we had to clear a bunch of thorny brambles. We dug all signals, then took the soil down two inches, and lo and behold--more signals. Not planning on plowing the whole four acres, lol! L&D

Don't listen to that macaroni, go for it! :happysmiley:

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Iron. Sometimes it's hard to know who to listen to in here! ;-) We certainly respect many opinions here, including yours and Scrappy's. Speaking of macaroni--time to start dinner! -L

Don't listen to that macaroni, go for it! :happysmiley:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Iron. Sometimes it's hard to know who to listen to in here! ;-) We certainly respect many opinions here, including yours and Scrappy's. Speaking of macaroni--time to start dinner! -L

Truth be told I just wanted to call Scrappy a name :) ...but if it was my land to do what I want with I'd beat it quiet with the detector and then rip the entire place apart.... mostly focusing on the heavier iron areas, and especially digging out any cellar holes and trash pits. You may not find much, but what you do would likely be in much better condition.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fine advice, Iron. I'm sure John's wife won't let him tear up the lawn though! �� -L
Truth be told I just wanted to call Scrappy a name :) ...but if it was my land to do what I want with I'd beat it quiet with the detector and then rip the entire place apart.... mostly focusing on the heavier iron areas, and especially digging out any cellar holes and trash pits. You may not find much, but what you do would likely be in much better condition.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisa I believe your mystery piece is the broken frame of a small shoe buvkle from the 18th century. It has the correct shape and the hole would have held a pin that contained the chape, tongue and spike. These were what made the connection. Old shoelace of sorts

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

While I love to disagree with Mr. French fries and gravy, but that's what I would have done. And by quiet I mean no iron... no nothing. I have a 5 acre spot I did that to but unfortunately National Historic landmarks are not keen on bulldozers. Lol

And don't mind me today. I'm home , stuck inside with two kids with strep. *grumpy*

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's a couple of examples. One without the guts that shows the shape. The other fully intact. I could be wrong but the shape and hole for the attachment look right

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread