Rare trade token, Buttons, Colonial pottery, Whatzits,

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the finds from my last few hunts. Been in a bit of a slump lately with no silver and few good kinds. Our colonial site is starting to dry up (at least we thought until VMI scored on a bucket lister after the hurricane) but there is a lot of potential if we can get the tall grass/poison oak/and weeds taking out.

The first good find was a couple weeks ago from VMI's honey hole the pit! This trade token is from Pon Pon South Carolina which doesn't exist anymore. VMI dug the same one, except it was a "100" value, about 3 years ago from about 10 yards away from where i dug this one. It was a faint signal coming in broken around 35-36. Dug a plug and when i swung over the hole it really started to come in clear and repeating at 35. We are still looking for more info on these tokens. One token expert said he thinks its 1880's 1890s. But we think it might be older just because of the rudimentary shape and look to it. Might have to trade this one to VMI so he can have both to display from his fave spot.

DSCF0312.JPG DSCF0313.JPG

Next pics a mix of my better pottery/porcelain finds and the Pon Pon token. The small piece is shell-edged pearl ware colonial I believe. Then my first fragment with a back mark ended up being from 1943 from The Homer Laughlin company.

DSCF0314.JPG DSCF0319.JPG

Heres a pic of random pottery and finds. Some of our typical brass nails mixed in there.

DSCF0318.JPG

Then the whatzits and curious finds. Not sure if this thing is anything but figured id post. size of a quarter or so. Then this plate fragment. I find a lot of pieces like this with this color so i'm wondering on its age if anyone can id that for me. This thick piece of pottery is curious. Im pretty sure its a piece of pottery but its so thick that Im wondering if its Native American. Let me know.

DSCF0320.JPG DSCF0321.JPG DSCF0323.JPG DSCF0324.JPG DSCF0325.JPG DSCF0326.JPG DSCF0327.JPG

Last finds are the slim pickings from 3 hours on friday. Two plain cuff buttons one found on the coast and another back in the original colonial field lot at our site. Both came in choppy but i figured i might as well dig them just in case. Glad i did. The wheat is a 1917. Don't dig too many teen wheats. This little brass whatzit needs an id who whats it?!

DSCF0328.JPG DSCF0329.JPG DSCF0330.JPG DSCF0331.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 15

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass thing is a window lift for opening it up

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs Nick I've been waiting to see that token. Cool find

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs Nick I've been waiting to see that token. Cool find

Yeah man. Should have seen VMI when I found it he came over right away and was like "DUDE! I know exactly what that is". He will be able to make a pretty cool display with both of them together.

lowcountry

Jan 30, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dude!!! 2 Saturdays from now lets go to my spots!! The 24th I believe...:)

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dude!!! 2 Saturdays from now lets go to my spots!! The 24th I believe...:)

Thanks bud. Sounds like a plan. The tides have been killing me lately lol.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That token is a great find Stef. I hope you can learn a little more about it.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That token is a great find Stef. I hope you can learn a little more about it.

Thanks! Yeah we have a couple guys from down here trying to find more out about it. Hopefully we get a good date on it.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are ever able to get a positive ID and history on that token, I would love to hear about it! Congrats on a nice find! If VMI wants it now, he will want it even more later - so hold on to it and use it wisely! Timing is everything. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are ever able to get a positive ID and history on that token, I would love to hear about it! Congrats on a nice find! If VMI wants it now, he will want it even more later - so hold on to it and use it wisely! Timing is everything. :laughing7:

I got some word back from another Low Country detectorist who showed a friend who knows about SC tokens and has a book apparently and didn't find this token in it. So I'm guessing they have to be rare. And don't worry VMI got me started and its his site so I'm sure we can come out with good deal.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No rush on offloading your first SC token, I stared at mine in the display for months. Happy to have my ole faithful Safari in good hands, enjoy the lifelong addiction

Just what are you doing on tnet posting Jon? Don't you have that New Baby holding kissing or changing thing to be doing?

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some word back from another Low Country detectorist who showed a friend who knows about SC tokens and has a book apparently and didn't find this token in it. So I'm guessing they have to be rare. And don't worry VMI got me started and its his site so I'm sure we can come out with good deal.

If you keep hitting a brick wall trying to find documentation or reference, I would agree that it is most likely rare. You may be starting a new chapter in that book!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good bunch of finds; you definitely have some colonial pottery shards. The mystery pottery shard is Native American based on the sand tempering and roughness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread