More finds from the DEEP, beautiful 1810 LC and Hammered Silver

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today with a buddy to do some searching at a new area. Had a fun and productive trip on probably one of the last better days of the summer (weather-wise). It started off with a flat button and a spencer casing (CW era) but soon got interesting with an odd placed eagle button (CW button) mixed in with some earl 1700's and 1600's colonial goodies. I struck first with the beautiful 1810 US large cent (picture does not do it justice) and then picked through a few flat buttons and small round balls before a nice silver item turned up. This location has yielded some very early silver and we were at the site of a very early 1600's site. At first I thought it was a worn half real, but it read a few numbers lower than a typical silver half real would (talking one of two digits). I then realized just how thin this sucker was and immediately began to think hammered. It is 12mm and weighs between .6 & .7 gms. It is in rough shape and has some design but it is tough to make it all out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. All in all it was a fun and productive trip with a handful of buttons and two coins. I also managed a nice early copper ring that I believe might be an early bracelet or other use and even eyeballed a few nice pieces of native american pottery and sharks tooth.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    849.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    577 KB · Views: 154
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    590 KB · Views: 149
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    752.1 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 21

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small silver is very intriguing. You can definitely see writing at the top of the coin in photo #7. Hopefully someone will be able to identify it for you. You had a great outing....much better than me!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN NICE BANGLE AND BUTTONS , HAEL EVERYTHING .

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - that coin certainly has the appearance of a hammered silver, but if it is I don't think it's British. For Elizabeth I through Charles II the silver pennies were 14mm and the half pennies 11mm, and yours is in between those two. And I can't make out enough of the details to provide any useful clues. Based on where it was recovered it just might be a 16th or 17th century coin, but that will be very difficult to confirm and positively ID. Cool find regardless!

Last edited:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some sweet finds! Congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - that coin certainly as the appearance of a hammered silver, but if it is I don't think it's British. For Elizabeth I through Charles II the silver pennies were 14mm and the half pennies 11mm, and yours is in between those two. And I can't make out enough of the details to provide any useful clues. Based on where it was recovered it just might be a 16th or 17th century coin, but that will be very difficult to confirm and positively ID. Cool find regardless!

Thanks Bill, it is an odd size and very thin, the only silver coins I knew of that weight and thinness were hammered...always wanted one from the water as I knew it would be crisp...ha boy was I wrong on this one. Might re-measure it today as I did it very quickly and 1mm could easily be off, but I doubt it was 2.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds, Congratulations! :occasion14:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also that line running across the top (or bottom) of the coin isn't on any of the silver hammereds that Bill mentioned above. Also the wording at the top of the coin in the 7th photo doesn't seem to go around the perimeter of the coin, it looks like it's going straight across.
I'll continue to look at the Dutch coins but perhaps you should post it on a coin forum.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also that line running across the top (or bottom) of the coin isn't on any of the silver hammereds that Bill mentioned above. Also the wording at the top of the coin in the 7th photo doesn't seem to go around the perimeter of the coin, it looks like it's going straight across.
I'll continue to look at the Dutch coins but perhaps you should post it on a coin forum.

Thanks Joey...I was trading a few notes with Bill. I had the measurements wrong it is closer to 18mm and beginning to wonder if it was just a heavily heavily worn half real, though it is very thin and much lighter.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great hunt! Nice large cent, early too. Congrats. -Lisa & John

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
weight the coin in question, get digital size, too. Test for silver. Have experts determine - its real old, THAT'S For Sure...!
Hard to see any pattern going on, and the 5 holes in it...., BUT a Super Find, none-the-less!!!! :thumbsup:
It might be an old English coin..., who knows....?
Keep us posted, okay? thnx

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I can't match it up but my first thought was a Venice Soldino - I didn't know then how they were commonly used in 15th -16th century England. I learned something new :icon_thumleft: There are a few different varieties.

Here is the history fwiw anyway -- the coin in my mind was the type 3... but your find could very well be something else entirely.

https://finds.org.uk/medievalcoins/denominations/denomination/id/170

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great hunt and a hammered coin find! :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool stuff, nice finds

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weight the coin in question, get digital size, too. Test for silver. Have experts determine - its real old, THAT'S For Sure...!
Hard to see any pattern going on, and the 5 holes in it...., BUT a Super Find, none-the-less!!!! :thumbsup:
It might be an old English coin..., who knows....?
Keep us posted, okay? thnx

Thanks, it 100% is silver and 100% is an old coin, just probably going to be one of those worn beyond ID.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't match it up but my first thought was a Venice Soldino - I didn't know then how they were commonly used in 15th -16th century England. I learned something new :icon_thumleft: There are a few different varieties.

Here is the history fwiw anyway -- the coin in my mind was the type 3... but your find could very well be something else entirely.

https://finds.org.uk/medievalcoins/denominations/denomination/id/170

Thanks, yea I measured it in a big hurry and posted further down below that it is closer to 17mm (perhaps 18mm but has a wave to it). I wish that were the case, well done I learned something too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread