Jewelry fragments, Large Cent, Silver--1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody, hope you are well. I am posting a few jewelry fragment finds, as well as a beautiful butterfly hair barrette fragment, and a pretty nice 1830 large cent. John dug these over the weekend. I'd love to be able to date the butterfly barrette, but I can't find any legitimate antique jewelry or hair ornament websites. The barrette itself seems to be brass, I think, but there are hints of gilding on it. The clasp looks very old. It too appears to be brass. Delicate and ornate--wish he could find the other half of it! I've also posted a pretty silver or pewter heart locket fragment. It's hard to see, but inside is a crude etching that says "I love you." He also found what looks like a solid silver fragment of jewelry or perhaps a serving dish. It has a hallmark of "H "on it. Lastly, he found an 1874 silver plated spoon.

Update: John just texted me a group photo of his finds from this afternoon, plus a couple of the things he found over the weekend. There seems to be a horse item with rosettes on it, and several bullets, etc. We're not sure what everything is, do you recognize anything? I think the coolest thing he found is that piece of wood. You probably can't see it, but there is an old bullet lodged inside it. Wow! Sorry if the order of the photos do not match the order of what I have written.

Okay, I am off to browse the Today's Finds forum. As always, thanks for looking and for your comments and knowledge. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    971.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    989.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    647.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 14
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great buckle half! Judging from your finds it seems like the section you're in is more 19th Century.

That silver piece is interesting. The design reminds me of patterns I've seen on formal dinner pieces. Maybe it's a piece of a platter or a service piece of some sort.

Nice job

Thanks, Scrap. That's what I was thinking, too, that it might be part of dinnerware or a platter. I'll have to take another look around at some of the Hallmark sites. -L&J

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love seeing your posts and I am jealous! I really like that heart/love token/locket thing. Looks very old. I wish I had a property like that!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love seeing your posts and I am jealous! I really like that heart/love token/locket thing. Looks very old. I wish I had a property like that!

Rubka, thanks so much. We are very lucky, and we're having a ball sharing all of our adventures with you. -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gang, I'm striking out with the "H" hallmark on the silver fragment. I am wondering if it might've been hand made? On the front edge, I see tiny half-moon shaped marks as if it was hammered, and I notice the base of the swirl marks are uneven sizes. Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts! -Lisa

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries! The sash buckle item is very cool. The small silver, although we may never now it's origin, is interesting as well. Congrats!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great recoveries! The sash buckle item is very cool. The small silver, although we may never now it's origin, is interesting as well. Congrats!

Thanks, Tommy. Yep--we may never know, but we'll keep 'em. Amassing our own museum exhibit. Hehehe! -L&J

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Isaac. I'll have to search a silver hallmark site. Although--not sure exsctly what the piece was a part of! -L&J

Its part of a solid silver buckle. The hallmark is missing most of the useful information, like assay mark, date later. However, the makers-mark; H? Looks to be British Shoe Buckle , circa 1720-90.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its part of a solid silver buckle. The hallmark is missing most of the useful information, like assay mark, date later. However, the makers-mark; H? Looks to be British, circa 1790-1830.

Thanks, Cru, what tipped you off that it is part of a buckle? And when you say "date later" – – do you mean it is a new were relic? John is going to hit the same area and see if he can find another piece of it. Probably not, but worth a shot. -L&J

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Cru, what tipped you off that it is part of a buckle? And when you say "date later" – – do you mean it is a new were relic? John is going to hit the same area and see if he can find another piece of it. Probably not, but worth a shot. -L&J
British hallmarks have date letters going back to at least the 18th C, they are a letter of the alphabet in many different styles & different shaped stamps. Each one in conjunction with the place it was assayed (eg. anchor for Birmingham) will denote the year it was marked (not always the year it was made, but mostly).
Its typical for many of these 18th C & 19th C not to be properly marked. The maker, dodging the tax that came with assaying. Assaying assured the Silver Standard was upheld, so those dodging the tax could also make it less pure if they wanted (more profit). Not sure why you would be dumb enough to put your unique Makers-Mark on it though! but it happens a lot, & maybe for other reasons unknown.
Anyway, when you have dug as many buckles & buckle bits as me, it just jumps out easily. Its the shape.

Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the size and the holes, I think the silver fragment is part of Victorian era chatelaine.

chatelaine.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Shoe Buckle , circa 1720-90.

Revised my dates after further thought.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
British hallmarks have date letters going back to at least the 18th C, they are a letter of the alphabet in many different styles & different shaped stamps. Each one in conjunction with the place it was assayed (eg. anchor for Birmingham) will denote the year it was marked (not always the year it was made, but mostly).
Its typical for many of these 18th C & 19th C not to be properly marked. The maker, dodging the tax that came with assaying. Assaying assured the Silver Standard was upheld, so those dodging the tax could also make it less pure it they wanted. Not sure why you would be dumb enough to put your unique Makers-Mark on it though! but it happens a lot, & maybe for other reasons unknown.
Anyway, when you have dug as many buckles & buckle bits as me, it just jumps out easily. Its the shape.

Great info, Cru! Thanks so much! L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the size and the holes, I think the silver fragment is part of Victorian era chatelaine.

View attachment 1361363

Matt--are you referring to the heart locket or the solid silver fragment? What an interesting photo, I'm going to have to look at that online, because I have no idea what one of those is. Shame on me! Thanks so much for your comment. -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
British Shoe Buckle , circa 1720-90.

Revised my dates after further thought.

Cru--how cool--we had no idea it was that old. Thanks again. -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, sorry 100% sure its Buckle. Found plenty that shape with holes & design, but not in silver.

I'll let you and Matt duke that one out, LOL. -L

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Done a quick & dirty for those that can't visualize. Pictures paints & all that...
I choose a 'similar' (no openwork) 18th C shoe buckle.

Attachments

• Buckle.JPG
    Buckle.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Done a quick & dirty for those that can't visualize. Pictures paints & all that...
I choose a 'similar' (no openwork) 18th C shoe buckle.

Well look at that! Cru--that's awesome! Thanks! -L&J

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I will concede to Crusader's vast experience on any relic of this era.

To my eye, the holes in the piece appear more functional than decorative. But Cru has it - buckle piece.

:notworthy:

DCMatt

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will concede to Crusader's vast experience on any relic of this era.

To my eye, the holes in the piece appear more functional than decorative. But Cru has it - buckle piece.

:notworthy:

DCMatt

Your opinions and thoughts are always worthy to us, Matt. Throwing ideas out there is how we puzzle things out. Thanks again! -L&J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread