Jewelry fragments, Large Cent, Silver--1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody, hope you are well. I am posting a few jewelry fragment finds, as well as a beautiful butterfly hair barrette fragment, and a pretty nice 1830 large cent. John dug these over the weekend. I'd love to be able to date the butterfly barrette, but I can't find any legitimate antique jewelry or hair ornament websites. The barrette itself seems to be brass, I think, but there are hints of gilding on it. The clasp looks very old. It too appears to be brass. Delicate and ornate--wish he could find the other half of it! I've also posted a pretty silver or pewter heart locket fragment. It's hard to see, but inside is a crude etching that says "I love you." He also found what looks like a solid silver fragment of jewelry or perhaps a serving dish. It has a hallmark of "H "on it. Lastly, he found an 1874 silver plated spoon.

Update: John just texted me a group photo of his finds from this afternoon, plus a couple of the things he found over the weekend. There seems to be a horse item with rosettes on it, and several bullets, etc. We're not sure what everything is, do you recognize anything? I think the coolest thing he found is that piece of wood. You probably can't see it, but there is an old bullet lodged inside it. Wow! Sorry if the order of the photos do not match the order of what I have written.

Okay, I am off to browse the Today's Finds forum. As always, thanks for looking and for your comments and knowledge. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    971.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    989.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    647.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 14

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great quality finds. The large cent looks like it is in good shape. Congrats to you both.

HH RN

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great quality finds. The large cent looks like it is in good shape. Congrats to you both.

HH RN

Thanks, Relic! Enjoyed your most recent finds, too. -L&J

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That butterfly item is actually half of a Victorian Era women's sash buckle. Congrats on your finds.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That butterfly item is actually half of a Victorian Era women's sash buckle. Congrats on your finds.

Oh my gosh, really Evolution? That is so cool. Do you know of a website that might show these type of items? Thanks, Lisa and John

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my gosh, really Evolution? That is so cool. Do you know of a website that might show these type of items? Thanks, Lisa and John
Here's a nice example. You can see more if you google Victorian Era women's sash buckle.

images (2).jpg images (3).jpg images (4).jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds. The hallmarked silver could be mid 1800s or even older. I'm curious to what that is... nice LC and relics as well. That site is going to be producing for a while... keep harvesting :) HH!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. The hallmarked silver could be mid 1800s or even older. I'm curious to what that is... nice LC and relics as well. That site is going to be producing for a while... keep harvesting :) HH!

Thanks, Isaac. I'll have to search a silver hallmark site. Although--not sure exsctly what the piece was a part of! -L&J

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relic recoveries! The bullet in the wood is very interesting.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratualtions on the nice relic recoveries! The bullet in the wood is very interesting.

Thanks, Professor. Funny thing about the bullet in the wood (although probably from a tree or old outbuilding)--The home has a clapboard front, but beneath is a wall of brick, apparently to withstand bullets and arrows. Cool stuff. L&J

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As usual, excellent group of finds. Thats a very interesting piece of silver, hopefully someone knows what it goes to.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As usual, excellent group of finds. Thats a very interesting piece of silver, hopefully someone knows what it goes to.

Thanks, Outdoor. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a matching Hallmark for it. Maybe it isn't American, I don't know. Pretty piece though. L&J

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great buckle half! Judging from your finds it seems like the section you're in is more 19th Century.

That silver piece is interesting. The design reminds me of patterns I've seen on formal dinner pieces. Maybe it's a piece of a platter or a service piece of some sort.

Nice job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread