Button...our first ring...with maybe diamonds? 1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, John dug a few items out of the revolutionary site this afternoon. One of them looks like a big ring, but it doesn't appear there is a stone in the shank. However, if you look closely, you can see the brilliance of what appears to be a diamond chip on the band itself. We have not attempted to clean this for fear of loosening any other "diamond" chips that might be on it. I'm not sure what to think of this thing. Not sure what material the band is either. The other item is a button with a strange insignia on it. I haven't been able to research it yet, so if it looks familiar to anyone, we'd love to hear about it. Happy digs, and many thanks for looking. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 13

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it's not made like the typical liver button. Based on the front I think it could easily be post CW.

This button is so bizarre, and the mystery deepens. Another member thought it was older than Civil War, but you think the opposite. Looks like this one might just have to remain on identified. Thanks so much for looking! -L&J

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi L&J; Thanks. I'm dying to see if there are any back marks on the button and it's final ID ok. Keep us Posted ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi L&J; Thanks. I'm dying to see if there are any back marks on the button and it's final ID ok. Keep us Posted ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Ron, we just posted a picture of the front and back again. The back looks blank except for a small circle around where the shank was, and are fairly well preserved rim. The button is 9/16" in diameter. Any ideas? Thanks for looking. -L&J

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button is so bizarre, and the mystery deepens. Another member thought it was older than Civil War, but you think the opposite. Looks like this one might just have to remain on identified. Thanks so much for looking! -L&J

I wouldn't make a big bet on dating it, but some people think just because a button is flat it dates pre CW and that is not always the case. It doesn't really matter though because the bottom like is it's not a Civil War military button, and that is that. All other options, which there seems few, are probably not that interesting. It's not too uncommon to see script letters on civilian buttons, livery is where I have seen it the most, but there is more.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya, Iron. Probably not that interesting, but still would like to know what it is! Thanks again. -L&J

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, Iron. Probably not that interesting, but still would like to know what it is! Thanks again. -L&J

For sure, but that's the problem... the more meaningless often means the less chance of an answer, or the tougher it is to find it. But it's certainly distinct enough that it's very possible if the answer is out there.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For sure, but that's the problem... the more meaningless often means the less chance of an answer, or the tougher it is to find it. But it's certainly distinct enough that it's very possible if the answer is out there.

Righto. For now, the button rests. ��

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have no clue, however I hope someone can pinpoint it. No help on the ring either. But congrats on getting out and finding some head stumpers!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no clue, however I hope someone can pinpoint it. No help on the ring either. But congrats on getting out and finding some head stumpers!

Thanks, Scuba! Stumpers do tend to liven things up! �� -L&J

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the scar on the reverse, the script C item may not be a button. I've seen script C Livery's like IP states. If its a button its Civvy.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the scar on the reverse, the script C item may not be a button. I've seen script C Livery's like IP states. If its a button its Civvy.

I found a great livery buttons website called Livery Buttons identified. No match found. The world may never know! Thanks Cru. ��

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Script C button dates to 1895-1915.

Attachments

• Livery C.JPG
    Livery C.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Script C button dates to 1895-1915.

'Tis a beauty, Cru! Well, we've got the same type of script "C." The boys over at Sgt. Riker's Civil War website say they have never seen another button like it. So...looks like we're going to have to call it a day on this one! Thanks for posting your button. ~L&J

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, , you guys certainly caused a lot of research and raised a lot of questions. Great post and congrats on your finds.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, , you guys certainly caused a lot of research and raised a lot of questions. Great post and congrats on your finds.

Thanks Against, I suppose that's just part of the fun! -L&J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread