Button...our first ring...with maybe diamonds? 1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, John dug a few items out of the revolutionary site this afternoon. One of them looks like a big ring, but it doesn't appear there is a stone in the shank. However, if you look closely, you can see the brilliance of what appears to be a diamond chip on the band itself. We have not attempted to clean this for fear of loosening any other "diamond" chips that might be on it. I'm not sure what to think of this thing. Not sure what material the band is either. The other item is a button with a strange insignia on it. I haven't been able to research it yet, so if it looks familiar to anyone, we'd love to hear about it. Happy digs, and many thanks for looking. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 13
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update (sort of): The button is about the size of a dime, so perhaps a cuff button. The closest I can find is a Confederate script C cuff button, except our button has a sunburst, and the example I found doesn't. Hmmm... L&J

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something about the button makes me think that its earlier than Civil War. Just my gut instinct. Let us know if you find out. Great finds either way.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something about the button makes me think that its earlier than Civil War. Just my gut instinct. Let us know if you find out. Great finds either way.

SC, I agree, but I can't match it up to 1812 or Rev. Maybe it's not military--who knows. I'll keep sesrching. Thanks for your comment. -L&J

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Lisa John sweet finds nice ring I would get it professionally clean doesn't cost much nice old relics Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Lisa John sweet finds nice ring I would get it professionally clean doesn't cost much nice old relics Thanks for sharing

Thanks Tommy, yeah, we don't want to take a toothbrush to the ring--looks old, and we're not sure what is holding the diamonds in. Perhaps you're right--maybe we'll have a pro look at it. Thanks for commenting! -L&J

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting old ring!! Please post us a final cleaning picture. Thanks for sharing!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The button has a civil war letter style to it, so I thumbed through Albert's button book. I found something very similar but yours looks like a variant of this... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474504387.889149.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474504397.326627.jpg

There are more detailed button books out there, and some very smart CW buffs in Tnet, but hopefully this will set you in the right direction.

Great find. It could be even rarer than the version listed....

Also, that ring looks like perhaps a trade ring. It's unlikely to be a wedding band.

Cheers

Steve

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The button has a civil war letter style to it, so I thumbed through Albert's button book. I found something very similar but yours looks like a variant of this... View attachment 1361878 View attachment 1361879

There are more detailed button books out there, and some very smart CW buffs in Tnet, but hopefully this will set you in the right direction.

Great find. It could be even rarer than the version listed....

Also, that ring looks like perhaps a trade ring. It's unlikely to be a wedding band.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, thanks so much for your reply and for posting the photos. The sea does look the same, but I just can't explain the Sunburst. Hopefully a CW expert will chime in. I did email Sergeant Rikers trading post to see if he could figure it out, but I haven't heard back. I wonder if it might be in Tice's book. We don't have one, and they are so expensive now, that it's a bit out of the budget for the time being. As far as the ring goes, I hate to say this, but I don't know what a trade ring is. Is that like swapping something for something else? I'll have to try to clean the thing when I see John next. Take care and thanks again. -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting old ring!! Please post us a final cleaning picture. Thanks for sharing!

Hi OBN, thanks for your reply. I'll be sure to read post a photo of the ring once I figure out how to delicately clean it. Take care. -L&J

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; DO NOT CLEAN THAT RING.!!!! Let a Pro do it. If the stones are loose he will fix them. If it is Plated you could destroy the plating. Second is the button. Soak it in Lemon Juice & water. a 50/50 mix overnight. Then GENTLY "push" the loose dirt off with a wooden tooth pick. Do not scratch at it. We need the back marks to ID it ok. Nice finds. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; DO NOT CLEAN THAT RING.!!!! Let a Pro do it. If the stones are loose he will fix them. If it is Plated you could destroy the plating. Second is the button. Soak it in Lemon Juice & water. a 50/50 mix overnight. Then GENTLY "push" the loose dirt off with a wooden tooth pick. Do not scratch at it. We need the back marks to ID it ok. Nice finds. PEACE:RONB

Ron, as always, thanks so much for your advice. Peace to you, also. L&J

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! And Scrappy to the rescue identifying that awesome civil war button!
Congrats and HH

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! And Scrappy to the rescue identifying that awesome civil war button!
Congrats and HH

Thanks, Diggin! Yeah, Scrappy is always helpful. Still trying to figure out why our button has a sunburst though! L&J

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a civil war button. The script letter bears similarity to a script letter on a known civil war button, but that's all there is to it. It's a similarity of *font*, and nothing more.

Civil war era military buttons are very well documented at this point, including rare locally made examples.

The particular artifact in question is still awaiting identification in my opinion.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not a civil war button. The script letter bears similarity to a script letter on a known civil war button, but that's all there is to it. It's a similarity of *font*, and nothing more.

Civil war era military buttons are very well documented at this point, including rare locally made examples.

The particular artifact in question is still awaiting identification in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply. Another member here also said the button looks older than Civil War. Who knows, maybe it is a civilian button with someone's initial on it? The search goes on. -L&J

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is livery buttons with a script C design, and would date just before the Civil War. Seeing the back may tell the story, or at least strongly suggest that's what it is.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is livery buttons with a script C design, and would date just before the Civil War. Seeing the back may tell the story, or at least strongly suggest that's what it is.

Iron, attached are better photos of the front and back. Also, the diameter is 9/16". Thanks for any help you can give. -L&J

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 99

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread