Unearthed war relics from Africa

boertjie

Jul 7, 2007
This is a follow-up posting on Boer war relics unearthed in Northen Natal some time ago.

This pic shows 2 nicely preserved Lee-Enfield cartridges, Mauser and Martini Henry cartridges and a Quedes (?) spent cartridge case.

P1000587.JPG

1/2 penny coin dated 1899 found at British camp dump site

P1000500.JPG

British artillery tunic buttons

P1000591.JPG

I found this US button at the site but I am not aware of any US involvement in the Boer War. This button looks as of military origin. Can someone help with this? I include a pic of backside as well.

P1000592.JPG
P1000593.JPG

In this pic you can see British pith helmet top ventilators (wheels), brass button cleaner plate with stamped military ID number, webbing clasps, cavalry straps clasps and brass tent hooks

P1000601.JPG

Tooth brush, shaving blade and spoon with ID number stamped

P1000596.JPG

Bayonet scabbards, tent peg and steel heels for boots.

P1000586.JPG

British water canteen and 2 kinds of mess tins

P1000602.JPG

Spurs, steel brush for horses and saddle parts

P1000579.JPG

Very interesting find: button of Essex Imperial Yeomanry

P1000590.JPG

British pipe with "DUBLIN" written on it

P1000536.JPG

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
CRUSADER said:
nahabit said:
may be it is a peg for a tent?

Yeap, if you look on the top you may see hammer marks where its been knocked into the ground. Although sometimes they used wooden or rubber hammers in which case - no marks would be left.
and what? in my opinion it is a peg for a tent.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nahabit said:
CRUSADER said:
nahabit said:
may be it is a peg for a tent?

Yeap, if you look on the top you may see hammer marks where its been knocked into the ground. Although sometimes they used wooden or rubber hammers in which case - no marks would be left.
and what? in my opinion it is a peg for a tent.

I am agreeing with you!
IT IS A TENT PEG

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
pgill said:
Hello boertjie,

Great finds you have, umm I will get there...... What is that little spike above the wheels in picture 6, I also found 3 of them?
Apparently the wheels also held the ornament onto the top of the hat.... What I heard was that the troops would remove the ornament leaving a hole on top of the hat to let all the hot air out ;D funny that not more ornament are found in this case ???

Here is a true American story during the Boer war ;D

best friends decided to come to South Africa to fight in the Boer war.... they seperated from each other and each went on oposite sides, one to the British side and one to the Boer side..... After quite some time, the British American went to battle and just happen to take his friend prisoner.... the Boer American was taken to back to the British camp where the two of them sat and chatted over a cup of the British tea.... after they were finished the Boer American was taken outside where his friend then stuck a gun to his head and blew him away..... Umm new meaning to take no prisoners ::)

Keep on showing us more of your stuff boertjie, we want to see more.....

God bless
Peter
Where did this story come from? i would like to read it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
NOT SO BAD---HE DID GIVE HIM A "CUPPA" TEA FIRST and a nice chat ---very sporting of him that was---Ivan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
NOT SO BAD---HE DID GIVE HIM A "CUPPA" TEA FIRST and a nice chat ---very sporting of him that was---Ivan

We are good like that :D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Super finds. Great job with the preservation. Looks like some have been painted with rust inhibitor. Keep up the great work. Great pics as well.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outraged, that story came from our local war museum. I found it very amusing ;D Very patriotic dont you think ::) ::) ::) ::)

I do not think the peg is a tent peg, sorry guys,,,,, the size of the peg is only about 2" long and about 1/8" thick. It has a sort of square shape that tapers down in steps like a christmas tree, with the bent over part at the top.... it does have a hammer spot on top.... but is way too small for a tent peg. Here is a better picture that will maybe make it clearer for you to look at....

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• Peg.jpg
    Peg.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 604

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
small sized flag pole anchor? is the one end hollow? like where the pole for a "lance" tip might be?

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Ivan, the hook is solid and seems to have been cast.... seems to be a steel alloy of some sort. It is too small to be from a lance, and I think too small for a flag peg.... Umm very confusing indeed... I will post this item on another site and see if they can help, as I know there are South Africans on that site.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
boertjie

boertjie

Jul 7, 2007
Hi Peter

This is the spike that I got, here you can see the size. The spike itself is square shaped. I still have no idea of the application. I know that horse shoe nails are also square shaped.

spike1.JPG

Regards
boertjie

OP
OP
boertjie

boertjie

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Ron
Thanks and yeah, I used a product to preserve the iron artifacts because it degraded at a fast rate. In SA the product is known as "Rustbuster".
Regards
Boertjie

OP
OP
boertjie

boertjie

Jul 7, 2007
Pith Helmet vent detail

Hi Peter, Crusader and Ivan

Herewith more pictures on the British Colonial pith helmet vent wheels that I found:

In this picture you can see that there is still cork left clamped between the wheels. The construction of the helmet was mainly cork layers covered with khaki fabric.

wheel1.JPG

In this picture you can see the top vent cover is screwed on the wheel part and is made of a tin/lead like material. This metal part was originally covered by Khaki fabric.

wheel2.JPG

Here you can see the chin strap attachments to the helmet

wheel4.JPG

This is the best pic I could find to show the detail of the vent cover of the helmet. (just for interest sake: this pic shows brit war dead after the battle of Spion Kop where the Brits suffered a terrible defeat :()

wheel3.JPG

Regards
Boertjie

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the "spike object" might be a "hoof pick" for horse hooves ---for small stones and such to clean their hooves---(just a idea) ---Ivan

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Boertjie and Ivan,

I dont think it is a shoe nail as it would not have the hook on it, as for a hoof pick, maybe a bit small to get a proper grip on it..... I have placed a message onto another site with some South Africans, but they also seem to be battling..... this is a puzzle piece. Somebody else thought that it was carried with the horse riders and nailed into a tree or something to place the reigns while resting to stop the horse from running away.... could be something in that, but only a guess.
Boertjie, that is the best sample of the helmet vent that I have seen so far, very nice.... the picture, well like any battle it is scary.....
I must look for the "rust buster", is it a spray or a paint? I have a few things that could do with some.

Boertjie, thanks for such a great topic.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
boertjie

boertjie

Jul 7, 2007
Hi Peter

The Rust buster is a milk like chemical fluid that you can obtain from a auto parts shop like "Midas". You do the application with a brush and then after a while the surface turns black most probable due to a chemical reaction with the corroded surface. It definitely stops further corrosion but it has that black glossy colour.
regards
boertjie

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot boertjie for the info on the Rust Buster..... I have some Boerwar horse shoes, and an old padlock that could do with something to preserve them.
I wonder what the museums use?

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions