Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday morning, I woke up the Monster. I have nicknamed some of my machines, so the E-trac is The Monster. (That name was well earned in the first year that I got to know him.) I explained that once again, I was in need of his uncanny ability to unmask the Silver that may be hiding in the Iron. I sensed that the Monster wasn't all that happy. He understood my going over to the Excalibur for the 20 or so water hunts that I got in this year. The Monster doesn't get along with water at all. This is only the 15th time this year I have decided to take the Monster on a mission. It used to be that The Monster, was pretty much, my main go to machine. I have been on a total of 88 hunts this year and I guess I can understand why The Monster feels left out. I tried to explain the situation.
I have hit the same area twice. Although I have recovered 41 Wheat Pennies, I have only recovered 1 Silver Rosie. I just know that there has to be more silver up there. The Monster kind of agreed.
Off we went on my motorcycle. Now I know by now,, some of you are thinking that ATW has finally gone off the deep end but the results are what they are.
About an hour into the hunt, with about 4 more (deep), Wheat Pennies in my coin pocket,,, The Monster locates a beautiful 1942 Mercury dime. I knew this was going to be a long day. I was encouraged to focus on dime signals but I just can't ignore the Nickels. I did manage to dig 21 Jefferson's as well as a no date Buffalo.
The Wheat Pennies kept coming. They were usually about 7 inches and some were registering as dimes. (A clean 12-45) Before the day was done, the E-trac had added 22 more Wheat Pennies. (The oldest was a 1923) It also gave me what I thought was a gold ring. I knew the 12-42 signal was way too high for gold, so I wasn't that surprised to see that it was 14kt Gold Electroplated when I cleaned it.
Finally about seven hours into the hunt, The Monster did what I have seen it do before. It unmasked the Silver from the Iron. I dug out a white plastic watch band that had a rusting buckle. Right next to it was a 1951d Washington Quarter. The signals had been bouncing high to low but the high pitch that kept coming in was key to me digging this target
When I got home and tallied up the totals for the day, I discovered that The Monster had led me to 116 coins. Two Silvers, a toasted Buffalo, 22 more Wheat Pennies, a faux gold ring, seven, 20 centavos coins from Mexico and a whole bunch of clad. I don't mind digging a mess of trash when the end results are going to be what they are.
I will be returning to this field again and I will continue to talk to The Monster.

IMG_5034.JPG IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG IMG_5037.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Saweeeeeeet hunt!

Great story- detectors have feelings too. Gotta talk nice to them.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Monster sounds aggressive - a coin ravaging beast! Congrats on some good finds!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your post reminded me of a joke.

Do you ever wake up grumpy?

Or do you let her sleep in?

Nice silver coins and story.We all know the monster is a silver loving one.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I might really just have to rent a few machines so I can do some sideways comparisons. It won't be a good comparison because one needs to be fluent in the detector's language. Not just following directions. I would LOVE to have a couple people to go with so we could all compare and call the shot before we dig. Wouldn't get much done that day, but I'd bet it would be an education all around.

Good job!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I might really just have to rent a few machines so I can do some sideways comparisons. It won't be a good comparison because one needs to be fluent in the detector's language. Not just following directions. I would LOVE to have a couple people to go with so we could all compare and call the shot before we dig. Wouldn't get much done that day, but I'd bet it would be an education all around.

Good job!

Whadi,,
I'm a Garrett guy from way back. Worked the parks and beaches with an AT3 in the early 80's. In the 90's, I picked up a Master Hunter CXII. In 2012, I purchased the AT PRO. Sweet machine, light weight, and no problems in the rain. Garret guy all the way.
Then I went on a few hunts with guys who were swinging Minelabs. My buddy Hungry Ghost was using an Etrac. We hunted numerous times together over the course of 2 years. One year he had enough confidence to set a 100 silver coin goal. Although towards December he was struggling to get to 90, he ended the year with 110 silver coins. I was getting 25 silvers each year with the AT PRO. I decided to purchase an E-trac from a member on another forum. $850 for a machine that was only used 3 times. I'm not a computer whiz and when you start talking about tweaking or setting up different programs, you might as well be talking Chinese. I don't understand Chinese or know how to install programs in the
E-trac. I used and learned the Stock Basic 1 program that the machine comes with. In 2014, my silver coin finds jumped to 81. In 2015, I felt confident enough to set a 100 silver coin goal. I ended the year with 158 silver coins. I have since added the CTX 3030 to my arsenal. Since more is better, I also added the XP DEUS. I'm not in the habit of comparing machines and I will never criticize machines.
I started with a beep and dig, mail order detector in 1970, when I was in the Navy. It was the best machine I have ever owned because it helped to introduce me to the hobby of metal detecting.
If you ever decide to take a leap of faith and purchase an E-trac, I will send you a pocket size, laminated cheat card that has 37 target I.D.numbers.
I sometimes travel and although I don't know where you live, I would enjoy getting together with you for a hunt and to give you a chance to listen to the E-Trac as it passes over silver.
HH,
Kevin

Last edited:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver finds! And, congrats on the Wheaties [emoji41]

I'm getting concerned though, your new retirement you've resorted to talking to your E-Trac calling it monster? LOL [emoji23]

Congrats my friend! HH

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whadi,,
I'm a Garrett guy from way back. Worked the parks and beaches with an AT3 in the early 80's. In the 90's, I picked up a Master Hunter CXII. In 2012, I purchased the AT PRO. Sweet machine, light weight, and no problems in the rain. Garret guy all the way.
Then I went on a few hunts with guys who were swinging Minelabs. My buddy Hungry Ghost was using an Etrac. We hunted numerous times together over the course of 2 years. One year he had enough confidence to set a 100 silver coin goal. Although towards December he was struggling to get to 90, he ended the year with 110 silver coins. I was getting 25 silvers each year with the AT PRO. I decided to purchase an E-trac from a member on another forum. $850 for a machine that was only used 3 times. I'm not a computer whiz and when you start talking about tweaking or setting up different programs, you might as well be talking Chinese. I don't understand Chinese or know how to install programs in the
E-trac. I used and learned the Stock Basic 1 program that the machine comes with. In 2014, my silver coin finds jumped to 81. In 2015, I felt confident enough to set a 100 silver coin goal. I ended the year with 158 silver coins. I have since added the CTX 3030 to my arsenal. Since more is better, I also added the XP DEUS. I'm not in the habit of comparing machines and I will never criticize machines.
I started with a beep and dig, mail order detector in 1970, when I was in the Navy. It was the best machine I have ever owned because it helped to introduce me to the hobby of metal detecting.
If you ever decide to take a leap of faith and purchase an E-trac, I will send you a pocket size, laminated cheat card that has 37 target I.D.numbers.
I sometimes travel and although I don't know where you live, I would enjoy getting together with you for a hunt and to give you a chance to listen to the E-Trac as it passes over silver.
HH,
Kevin

Super hunt & Superb post, ATW!!!

Iowa Dale

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice coin shooting, congratulations! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From one Kevin to another, the monster did his job, congrats on all the wheats and those silvers. Man I love a target rich site, looks like you & the Monster cleaned that one out for now.

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great hunt. You gotta love the coin total. I loved my etrac for the short time I had it. The only downside is it not being waterproof, like you said. The time I owned it just so happened to be plagued by several rainy days which forced me to use my AT Pro on those days. This was the motivativating force to make me go out and get the CTX. Start saving your pennies. If the Etrac is a monster, you will be happy when you break down and go get you a monster in a raincoat (CTX.)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ATW, great OP! Very entertaining - fun to read!! :thumbsup:

And GREAT haul!! :notworthy:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Kevin! Don't worry, it's perfectly normal to talk to your detector. You can start worrying when it talks back (unless it's the Garrett detector from a few years ago that did talk)!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whadi,,
HH,
Kevin

Why thank you, ATW! For your long and considered reply! :icon_thumright: I'll try to respond to several points.

First of all, I didn't start with a Garrett. This was my first detector:

RADIOSHACKMETALDETECTOR.jpg

Had to keep a thumb on the tuning knob while swinging! LOL

I moved up just a tad to a Garrett Ground Hog in the 70's, which I still have and still works!.
I had a choice of a White's, a Compass, and a Bounty Hunter. But, the Groundhog's frequency responses,
(the actual tone of the signal), didn't annoy me as much as the others did. I finally settled on it because of the overall reviews AND that I figured to be listening to that signal for long periods of time. Their lower tone just didn't get on my nerves as much. :dontknow: Price was ok too.

I got in with a few different hunters back then, loosely a club, and I noticed I wasn't lagging behind in the quantity or quality of items found. So, I didn't feel a need to upgrade. The machine suited my purposes fine. I could do just about any type of hunting I wanted to do and with reasonable results. That's what I was looking for and got. So, I was happy.

As a direct result of my stubbornly staying with the same machine for many, many years. I got pretty good with it, (no brag). I got to where I could call my shots and hear things that my friends simply were unable to discern.

All that said, I was experienced enough to realize that I did NOT have the "best" machine out there, nor the most expensive. I knew, waaaaaay back then, there were other machines that could indeed go deeper, get better separation, better discrimination. But....like I said, I was perfectly happy with the results I was getting.

Then, unfortunately, life got in the way, causing me to actually quit going out for about a decade or so. I just couldn't find time in my stupid work schedule, family things, etc. To go and enjoy myself anymore, so I just hung it up and planned on starting again when I retired. Which, happily, I've survived long enough to do. :)

When I started back, I was still using my Groundhog AND still finding! (I was actually afraid that everything might've been found while I was off! LOL )

I knew that the old machine was working but I also knew that, just maybe, the technology might've improved while I was away. So, I decided to upgrade to a machine where I knew I could count on, that wouldn't be a beginner's machine, and versatile enough for me to figure I could use it the rest of my life, and very importantly, I wouldn't have to sell body parts to pay for it initially, ;) Remember, I was afraid everything might've been found so I couldn't count on the machine paying for itself. At least not when I started back. :)

Anyway, the ATP was that machine, and I specifically state, "FOR ME". It fit everything I was looking for and was reasonable in price. I've been swinging it for about 5 years now and it appears to me that my "ear" for hearing things has adjusted pretty well to this machine. Does that mean I think it's the best over all out there? In a flat word, no. I understand and know better. It's just right for me, right now.

Again, with all that said and giving where I've come from, I would STILL enjoy comparing signals/techniques for different machines. But, unless I bought several machines and then used them for as long as it took some of the experts to learn their machines. Any comparison I'd do on my own wouldn't amount to much good information. Even though I DO know how to program computers and did so for a very long time. It still takes time to "learn" a machine.

That's why I think it would be educational and fun for a few to get together and compare some field signals. Maybe play a game I do, "Call my shot". I try to identify every signal before I ever dig. Takes longer but it has shown me quite a bit.

I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. Like I said, the ATP is suited perfectly to what/where/how I hunt and I'm am doing well... enough with it, (for now :) ).

I don't travel much and have pretty much relegated myself to clad farms that were built on old ground lately. But, I feel comfortable enough nowadays to maybe actually start doing the research necessary to change this. We'll see, I am still just trying to relax and enjoy. Some of that researching shtuff requires, (shall I say it), WORK! LOL

I'd absolutely WELCOME the chance to get together even if it is just to say WOW! Did he really just find THAT??? HERE!?!? LOL

Thanks!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an impressive haul! Go go Monster! Congrats. -Lisa & John

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it, when perseverance helps the Monster does the job even better! Congrats, I love it when a plan comes together, I bet that rain we got the other day help allot too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread