BUSTED BY THE LAW!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
OH BOY! DID I FEEL FOOLISH! This is or was going to be the third hunt in one day, more than I've had in any one week in months! let alone in a single day. My wife and I just arrived at the park and she was settling in on a picnic bench as I began sweeping around some big trees and other tables. I hadn't had my detector on more than a minute or two when I hear shouting. Looking up I saw that there was a park ranger motioning me over to his vehicle. Park Ranger? Then it dawned on me.. this park was not just a local favorite.. it's a STATE Park. And the Ranger was telling me that I couldn't detect on the grounds due to the law that prohibits just that on historical sites and State Parks. Yeah.. I was blushing. Somehow or another my mind just lost that little bit of information back there in the old memory banks that Boonesborough Park is a "State Park". DUH!!!
Anyway, I talked with the ranger for a while and he was pretty cool about the whole deal as I readily identified myself providing Driver's license and even one of my cards that my wife made up for me and my new hobby. I'll have to put a picture of my card on here sometime. With my card in hand and finding that I wasn't wanted for anything and had no "priors" or anything.. no raiding of national archives or other historical sites. <grin> The ranger told me of another detector that he'd caught on numerous occasions and found out that he had been caught at other state parks as well.. as well as being a habitual felon, DUI, PI, Driving on suspended license.. etc etc. Said that that one guy gave all of us hobbyist a bad name. There's always that one bad apple isn't there?
Well my ranger buddy asked me what I was looking for and how often I get out to hunt, he suggested a City Park in the next town. A very LARGE City Park.. with seemingly dozens of baseball and softball fields complete with concession stands, and bleachers and lots of grass between them. Not to mention the soccer fields and their stands, Oh and a lake.. for fishing.. for FISH.. if I get tired of fishing for coins. <grin> I have been known to wet a line now and then. Getting directions to this park "Gibson Bay" or "Lake Reba" Park in Richmond Kentucky.. directions provided by our friendly ranger and his own map no less, my wife and I thanked him and headed off to Richmond.
It really IS a LARGE park! WOW! I was drooling at the prospects before I could even get the metal detector out of the trunk and get started. Within 15 feet of the car I found nearly a dollar in change, just in the little grass island in the parking lot!. I found quite a bit more clad before it just got to hot to bother digging anything else. I was pooped, but happy! It was a rather nice ending to what might have potentially been an ugly day because of my ignorance or at least my innocent mistake. <cringe>
Combined with the haul from the two earlier hunts today I made a pretty good little pile of change, and lots of other treasures.. Did I mention I found a cell phone? <grin>

July8th 017.jpg

July8th 018.jpg

July8th 019.jpg

Not a bad day! Not a bad day at all!

Frodov

HH one and all!

Attachments

• July8th 017.jpg
    July8th 017.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 940
  • July8th 018.jpg
    July8th 018.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 952
  • July8th 017.jpg
    July8th 017.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 935
  • July8th 018.jpg
    July8th 018.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 979
Upvote 0

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that has got to be a bad feeling realizing you aren't suppose to be there. Especially when you are trying to do the right thing.

Glad it turned out well and that you got some finds. New location is also nice.

HH.

blindjustice

Jun 3, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
My Husband's Prizm IV
We did have a fun day today. I sat under a shady tree for most of it while Fro "hunted." The highlight of the day tho was when the Park Ranger stopped him! I just quietly got my diet coke and MP3 player and went to sit in the car before he asked ME for my ID too. At least we came home with the expensive Prizm IV just like we started this early morning. I guess it could have been the property of the Department of Parks & Recreation of Kentucky had we not had such a nice officer. At least Fro found some different kind of things today to say the least. I told him to keep the cell phone, but he's just too darned honest. <giggle> :D

He's got a buddy at work that has ordered a metal detector for himself, so I hope that I won't be left behind from now on. I'll just have to bring the Bounty Hunter with me and just follow along behind them. If for no other reason then to just bug them! ;D

Well, that's all for me...Have a good rest of the day everyone!

BJ

Only 1 month til Fro & I's 10th wedding anniversary! I'm getting a ring! It's not one that Fro dug up either! YEAH!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
hum... if you still had your detector in hand and made that eye find of clad by your car... wouldn't that be considered TH'ing...lol, and right after he had told you not to "hunt" there. You're really pushing it aren't you? ;D ;D

Just kiddin of course. Sounds like you had a great day ofilled with adventures, congrats and keep the great posts coming, enjoyed!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Didn't find anything at all at Boonesborough Park. Park Ranger or no Park Ranger. When He stopped me, I STOPPED. I put the detector back in the trunk and chatted for a while with the ranger. That's how I found out about the BIG PARK in Richmond. He even gave me directions using his own map from his cruiser. What a pal. Just goes to show you .. Give a little courtesy and you get a little courtesy.. usually.

Frodov

HH

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
For sure, you got it!!

Hope that new lead pans out. If it does, you should stop back and show hm your digs. Maybe he'll anti up another good lead.

Good luck out there!!

Smiles!
BDoo

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
blindjustice said:
We did have a fun day today. I sat under a shady tree for most of it while Fro "hunted." The highlight of the day tho was when the Park Ranger stopped him! I just quietly got my diet coke and MP3 player and went to sit in the car before he asked ME for my ID too. At least we came home with the expensive Prizm IV just like we started this early morning. I guess it could have been the property of the Department of Parks & Recreation of Kentucky had we not had such a nice officer. At least Fro found some different kind of things today to say the least. I told him to keep the cell phone, but he's just too darned honest. <giggle> :D

He's got a buddy at work that has ordered a metal detector for himself, so I hope that I won't be left behind from now on. I'll just have to bring the Bounty Hunter with me and just follow along behind them. If for no other reason then to just bug them! ;D

Well, that's all for me...Have a good rest of the day everyone!

BJ

Only 1 month til Fro & I's 10th wedding anniversary! I'm getting a ring! It's not one that Fro dug up either! YEAH!

BJ congrats to Fro and yourself :) Blessings your way :) And don't let the guys leave you behind ;) CD

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Some people have their days. Some cats have their nights. But a dog with a "BUSTED" tail, has a weak end. Way to go finding the new place!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
You did the right thing by putting your detector in the trunk and by being honest with the ranger....you got a super lead and did great hunting it.

GOOD DEAL !!!!!
And Congrats on the upcoming anniversary....hope you both have many more happy ones.

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've got our first fugitive from the law on TNet....

Book'em Danno...

I'm glad that you didn't get incarcerated... They beat up metal detectorists in jail!

HH from M2

Attachments

• cops.gif
    cops.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 744

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Fro~
I had a similar situation. Mastereagle and I were detecting at a house where he had gotten us permission and apparently the guy that gave him permission wasn't of the authority to grant it. The property owner pulled up within five minutes of turning on our detectors and this guy verbally dressed us down (BIG TIME). We apologized for the mix up and were nice as pie. He wanted no part of it and was a jerk to the end. He cursed like he invented it, and pointed the way out. We just got out of there. Sometimes, this hobby can cause us some trouble. Actually, my middle name is Trouble...really it's Danger...OK actually it's Lazy. ;D

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Richmond, Kentucky had a major battle fought within the city limits near the cemetery. There is a book in the city library detailing the event. By comparing the map in the book with a modern map, battle lines can be found. Also there is a 1885 city map for sale at $10.00 of the city which helped in finding those battle lines. Some of the battle was in the Black section of town and I found several vacant lots that looked promising but didn't have time to look up the owners for permission.
I'm sure searching resident yards might turn up some Civil War relics. There is a Battlefield subdivison where the regiments were driven away but that is all private property. Several fields and pastures still exist and might hold relics as well. Better if you live there or nearby. I'm from Florida and visited it in 2005, don't plan to return anytime soon. Good luck.

R

RUDY2003

I've run into those park rangers too. Once we got permission to hunt in a park that was just aquired by the city from a park ranger, well, after about an hour at the creek, another ranger came by and told us we couldn't hunt in the park. So we left but not without getting our entrance fee returned...

Good huntin buddy....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread