paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was an interesting one. The field I was in dates back to the 1700's, but most of what turns up in are old nails and the occasional farm implement parts so when I walk around in it, it's just to kill time until evening feeding starts. I was digging a bunch of these strange brass pins and I wanted to see how many of them were down there (four so far; they're in the last photos in case anyone has seen them before).

Riley, the horse in question, is used to the metal detector and finds the process fascinating. As soon as I've dug a plug, his nose is in the hole and I generally have to wait until it's passed his test before I get to see if there's anything there.

Riley.JPG

This particular plug was no different, but fortunately he was momentarily distracted by how delicious whatever was on the shovel was and I was able to break the plug in half and out popped this coin. The 1785 date was immediately visible so I thought I had found another British half-penny.

DSC07620.JPG DSC07621.JPG DSC07622.JPG DSC07623.JPG

Some extremely light cleaning and heavy googling and I confirmed what I didn't believe at first. I had actually found a colonial state coin! When I first started finding 1800's buttons a month back, a state coin like a pine tree shilling was what I told myself was the absolute coolest thing I could find but was also far and away the least likely. Looks like I have to find something else for the top of the bucket list!

Below are the other interesting/entertaining finds of the day. I think the pin that says "Ready With Support" is military, but I can't find much on it. Same with the republican membership tag. These were from a different site though, only the leather rivet and those brass pins were in the same field as the Vermont copper.

DSC07616.JPG DSC07617.JPG DSC07618.JPG DSC07619.JPG

Upvote 31

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a Ryder 3 Variety Vermont copper. RR-3 Listed as RARE! 31-75 known GREAT FIND!!! Hogge

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool old copper

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

SilverHunters

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bent one too, does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474840419.239641.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474840419.239641.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 52

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool finds, and a great post to read! Congrats, -Lisa & John

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on that fantastic find! :notworthy: Can you train the horse to "sniff out" a Pine Tree Shilling? :icon_thumleft:

The Vermont Colonial copper has avoided my coil, but Conn., Mass and NJ are in the case. I hope to find that beautiful old copper coin in future hunts, it's just a wonderful design.

SilverHunters

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will this help?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477185824.659605.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477185824.659605.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 70

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1785 is truly outstanding. Those early landscape variety coins are very special...not only beautiful, but first of their kind post declaration and made in what was legally a national mint (since Vermont was a republic with its own constitution). I am really happy to see one found!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I dug this I've found about a half-dozen LCs, KGII and KGIII half pennies, and a Connecticut copper in that area, but each one has been highly corroded by the soil.

And each time I pull out another worn and barely legible copper I thank the stars that the copper that came out of the ground with the least damage is this particular coin. And you will never hear me complain about the damaged large cents!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough coin to find my friend. It's a numbers game with the coppers and the hope is always that the scarce or rare coins come out of the ground in the best condition. It's a rare combination that you were lucky to get. Congrats....keep on digging that site. I'm sure there's a ton of early keepers hiding there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread