paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was an interesting one. The field I was in dates back to the 1700's, but most of what turns up in are old nails and the occasional farm implement parts so when I walk around in it, it's just to kill time until evening feeding starts. I was digging a bunch of these strange brass pins and I wanted to see how many of them were down there (four so far; they're in the last photos in case anyone has seen them before).

Riley, the horse in question, is used to the metal detector and finds the process fascinating. As soon as I've dug a plug, his nose is in the hole and I generally have to wait until it's passed his test before I get to see if there's anything there.

Riley.JPG

This particular plug was no different, but fortunately he was momentarily distracted by how delicious whatever was on the shovel was and I was able to break the plug in half and out popped this coin. The 1785 date was immediately visible so I thought I had found another British half-penny.

DSC07620.JPG DSC07621.JPG DSC07622.JPG DSC07623.JPG

Some extremely light cleaning and heavy googling and I confirmed what I didn't believe at first. I had actually found a colonial state coin! When I first started finding 1800's buttons a month back, a state coin like a pine tree shilling was what I told myself was the absolute coolest thing I could find but was also far and away the least likely. Looks like I have to find something else for the top of the bucket list!

Below are the other interesting/entertaining finds of the day. I think the pin that says "Ready With Support" is military, but I can't find much on it. Same with the republican membership tag. These were from a different site though, only the leather rivet and those brass pins were in the same field as the Vermont copper.

DSC07616.JPG DSC07617.JPG DSC07618.JPG DSC07619.JPG

Upvote 31

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! A Vermont landscape copper. They don't come out of the ground every day. That's a phenomenal find! Congrats! My one banner find in 2007 was a 1786 Vermont landscape copper. I love the look of those coins.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleontology, congrats on the State copper, definitely an excellent and rare find! I would guess the copper pins were part of horse tack, routed through leather...great post...ddf

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great!! Nice detail! Still on my bucket list , awesome find, congrats and HH

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a very nice copper. The pin items in question are pop rivets used to fasten things together.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
The aluminum tag should read Waterbury (there isn't a Waterburg CT.). William O'Donnell was the sports editor for the Waterbury Republican newspaper, starting around 1946. Don't know the specific use for it though.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tag looks like a charga card, like an early credit card.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Right, and making carbon copies for various applications too, like as library cards. But its a good bet that this was his business charge card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the information! I was wondering about the "Waterburg" too since I had never heard of that town and could only find a few very old references (1920's) to it online. It would be amazing if it was a typo on a charge card, but maybe there was a select number of people back in the day that really wanted Waterbury CT to be Waterburg CT.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Vermont coppers dug in the same week in states other than home state , very interesting & encouraging ....

" that's it " ,

my Fall season starts " TodaY " !

Thanks man , and many more for 2016

CMD

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I've been reading a bit about Wm (Hank) O'Donnell and he got his start in sports writing in the 1920's, and was considered a legend in the world of sport writing/editing. It seems likely that whomever was making these mis-read the y for a g.
-edited post after finding that he had died.

Last edited:

Schatzsucher

Greenie
Sep 23, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Vermont. This is on my bucket list. Awesome find!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet horse hunting partner ya got there, and stellar finds

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! And nhbenz I would love to return the card to WM O'Donnell; I think that would be very cool. He'll definitely remember the spot too, even if he doesn't remember that he lost it there. It was on the riverbank just downriver from a fantastic waterfall and local swimming hole. Have you come across any contact info in you web travels? Is he/his family still in Connecticut?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread